69 Charger Rebuild - Chevelle Tech
Projects & Builds For those with projects for up to date threads.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 17, 9:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454
69 Charger Rebuild

So I'm sure most of you know that my 69 Charger was wrecked back in July. Since I can't leave anything alone until one thing is done, I tore it apart and sent it out to get the front end straightened out. It was swayed to the right.

First step: pull it into the open bay...

Step 2: peel the decal off the door and pull the dent out...

Step 3: pull the fender and grille assembly off. This was buckets of fun...

New hood and fender on after being pulled and yanked on the frame rack...

The next part will be disassembling it so I can put quarters on it. I don't really have to but I'm doing 2 full quarters anyway. I had to use half skins when I did the car the first time and was never really happy with the job. Time to do it right is now. I am also considering going a different direction with the rebuild and NOT returning it to General Lee status. That is still to be determined.
Dean, von, blm and 1 others like this.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor
1970 SS Best ET: 12.31@108 MPH
1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
1970 Chevelle Convertible
Maryland Chevelle Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 4:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Re: 69 Charger Rebuild

Looking forward to the progress (As with all of your projects). Tell us more about the options if not General Lee?

Endeavor to persevere... Lone Watie - requoted Abraham Lincoln

Member ID#1091

Proud owner of a bunch of parts that used to be a 70 Malibu convertible
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 6:35 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Well my vote vote would be for all black. Chargers look sinister in all black, like the one in Bullet although that was a 68. Although I realize Tom is not taking votes on which way to go.
There is a guy in my neighborhood that has a pretty well done General Lee. He started with a real RT car. Not sure I would have done that with an RT.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 8:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage

As of right now, black is the leading candidate for color change. Either with a red or white tail stripe and interior to match. If I do it, it will be a massive undertaking as the car will have to come all the way apart and go back on the rotisserie to do it. Mopars are body color underneath, in the engine bay, and inside the trunk. The other option I am debating is to leave it orange and just not put the GL stuff back on it.

1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
Maryland Chevelle Club
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 8:40 PM
Senior Tech Team

Looking forward to your build. What the hell happened?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 9:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhite00 View Post
Looking forward to your build. What the hell happened?
Some idiot pulled out of a parking lot in front of an idiot in the right lane who slammed his brakes on and turned left into me so he wouldn't rear end the idiot that pulled out of the parking lot without looking.

1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
Maryland Chevelle Club
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 9:20 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
As of right now, black is the leading candidate for color change. Either with a red or white tail stripe and interior to match. If I do it, it will be a massive undertaking as the car will have to come all the way apart and go back on the rotisserie to do it. Mopars are body color underneath, in the engine bay, and inside the trunk. The other option I am debating is to leave it orange and just not put the GL stuff back on it.
Tom, my dad bought a brand new '69 Charger R/T back in Dec '68 (I was 17 back then) and we owned it for 9 years when I sold it before getting married. These were two bad mistakes (selling the Charger and worse, getting married) . Personally I think that there's been too many Chargers cloned into General Lee's… and your idea of painting it black would make it gorgeous!
To be correct, it would have to have a white bumblebee stripe (not red) and either a black or a white interior. I've seen a few of the cars you restored and I'm sure that one would be no exception… Also I might be wrong but I don't think that the General Lee Orange was a factory color… ...was it?

Anyways, good luck with the restoration!

Claude.

1971 Chevelle "SS 496"
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 9:22 PM
Tech Team
Bryan

Wow - that is almost identical damage that my 66 suffered, just on the other side.
I hope you post updates and pictures as thing move along. Glad to hear you could straighten it out and save it. That is one badass car!

'66 Malibu
Fast Burn 385hp Crate 350
Holley 1850 600CFM w/vac. secondaries
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-gap
Muncie M20 & 3.42 Posi
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 9:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
Tom, my dad bought a brand new '69 Charger R/T back in Dec '68 (I was 17 back then) and we owned it for 9 years when I sold it before getting married. These were two bad mistakes (selling the Charger and worse, getting married) . Personally I think that there's been too many Chargers cloned into General Lee's… and your idea of painting it black would make it gorgeous!
To be correct, it would have to have a white bumblebee stripe (not red) and either a black or a white interior. I've seen a few of the cars you restored and I'm sure that one would be no exception… Also I might be wrong but I don't think that the General Lee Orange was a factory color… ...was it?

Anyways, good luck with the restoration!

Claude.
Thanks Claude. Yeah I'm going to go back and forth on the color change up until I'm ready to paint it. It's a toss up for me. I originally bought the car 16 years ago to build a General Lee, but after having it done for 10 years, that is kind of wearing off on me for multiple reasons.
When I painted it in 2007, I used the original Chrysler Hemi Orange color code EV2 even though the correct color for a GL is 1975 Corvette Orange Flame.

1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
Maryland Chevelle Club
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 9:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry66 View Post
Wow - that is almost identical damage that my 66 suffered, just on the other side.
I hope you post updates and pictures as thing move along. Glad to hear you could straighten it out and save it. That is one badass car!
It was borderline being totaled considering how much damaged it sustained plus the cost of Charger parts (A lot more than Chevelle parts). There was no way I was going to let it be totaled and taken away. I've had this car for 16 years. In addition to 70 Chevelles, the 69 Charger is tied for my number 1 favorite muscle car. To replace it is just not happening since they have skyrocketed in value. I have the ability to fix it myself (except for having the chassis pulled back into place). Even though I wasn't planning on doing a re-restoration, it has taken priority over everything else I have going on.

1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
Maryland Chevelle Club
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 9:58 PM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

By curiosity, what was your Charger's original color?… Mine was gold (code Y4) with a white vinyl top, a white bumblebee stripe and a white interior… I can e-mail you some pics, I have planty.

Claude.

1971 Chevelle "SS 496"
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 10:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

Have you thought about the color scheme of the Charger in Crazy Larry Dirty Marry? It has a nice retro vibe with dish mags and probably isn't well known.

Steve R
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofastforyou View Post
By curiosity, what was your Charger's original color?… Mine was gold (code Y4) with a white vinyl top, a white bumblebee stripe and a white interior… I can e-mail you some pics, I have planty.

Claude.
Triple green. F8 green with green top and dark green interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
Have you thought about the color scheme of the Charger in Crazy Larry Dirty Marry? It has a nice retro vibe with dish mags and probably isn't well known.

Steve R
No more movie cars if I change it plus I'm not a fan of green. There is one in Maryland that comes to the Ocean City cruise done up like that.

1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
Maryland Chevelle Club
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 17, 10:23 PM
Senior Tech Team

I'm not a fan of movie cars either, it's just that the General Lee has been overplayed and almost anything would be better. It's hard to go wrong anytime someone goes with factory colors.

Steve R
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 17, 2:07 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Black Exterior, White "B" Stripe, Gotta go with the BEAUTIFUL "" Grain "" of the MOPAR- Black V. Top., If you get this far, HEY ,,, Its your choice of interior. Black--White ? ? ? !
I have chevelles, I love the MOPARS. Mash on a B. Block Mopar, They go " UP " in the rear about 2",,, Then the 727 makes them go -----------Fast Forward !
Bob
A lot of folks will agree " Black is Beautiful "

70 SS 454 El Camino- AACA 2016-Senior Grand National Winner---MCACN-GOLD-2013---Click on the BLUE to C my 2
70 SS 454 Station Wagon - Driver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.