Team Chevelle banner

LS swap power steering pulley with truck accessories?

27K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Mikes64 
#1 ·
Hello, If I’m running the truck accessories from a Trailblazer SS I understand I have to swap out the power steering pulley for a smaller one correct?. I’m getting ready to test fit the engine and want to get as many things sorted as I can.
I have written the part number down for the pulley I need but misplaced it, can someone be so kind as to provide a part number?

#2 ·
what year chevelle? on my 71, I used F body pulleys and I had to use a smaller power steering pulley or else it would hit the steering box. I got mine from dirty dingo. As far as part number it depends on which one you were looking at. I went through 3 pulleys until I found on that worked. LS1tech.com has a lot of information there for the LS swap.

#13 ·
You dont say what year car this is going in, but on my '67 using 1" setback plates, the PS pulley wasnt the issue the fluid reservoir was, it hit the PS box. Ended up swapping to a normal truck (silverado, tahoe, etc) PS bracket & pump and used the smaller pulley listed above on it.

Just fyi the truck (silverado, sierra) and suv (tahoe, yukon) PS pump and bracket is different than the Trailblazer, Rainier, 9-7x, Colorado, PS bracket and pump.

Reactions: Mofoe73
#15 ·
The truck/suv PS/alt bracket looks the same as the TBSS one just uses a different style PS pump. You can usually find the truck bracket and pump on ls1tech for less than $100 (thats where I got mine)

Heres the truck/suv PS pump

And the TBSS PS pump, you can see how much the PS reservoir sticks out compared to the truck one.

#17 ·
Nick, great comparison. The pump looks like an old school PS pump.
thanks to all who helped!
I did a tally last night on how much i've spent and how much i still need to shell out and and in the end ill have a LS2 making around 500 hp with a 6 speed with vintage air and digital Dakota gauges for around $25K total.
Thanks for help me spend my money, i gotta find some humor in this right?

#19 ·
I used a 14100597 it is 5.5 inches .
Its off a '95ish Camaro with the 3.4ci
Only Cost $5 at the U-pick-it.
On the left is a stock 5.3 Truck Pulley and on the right is the Camaro pulley.

Here they are with the Camaro pulley on top of the 5.3 pulley. If your needing to change out the bolts on your Steering box theses should get you plenty of room.

#22 ·
Dirty Dingo makes a billet aluminum small diameter pulley. That's the route I went. Photo with Holley 71221006HKR forward position mounts and the Dirty Dingo pulley (this is in my 72 wagon conversion).

I originally bought alternator/PS bracket off of ebay that was supposed to relocate the pump, but it only moved the alternator.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.