Team Chevelle banner

Hooker 1964-67 A-body LS Swap System Preview

38K views 183 replies 31 participants last post by  NorCal-SS 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm getting far enough along in the development of the Hooker 64-67 A-body LS swap system components to be able to begin share more technical information, as well as CAD images and photographs of the products that will be coming.

Two sets of engine brackets and the transmission crossmember have been designed and installed on a 67 Chevelle and a 65 GTO to validate their fitment geometry as the first step in the process.

The engine brackets are designed to be used with 4th-gen F-body engine mounts (rubber or aftermarket poly) and bolt to the stock holes in the frame with no drilling required.

The crossmember will include mounting angle brackets for each frame rail that neutralize the crossmember mounting frame differences between the 64-66 and 67 frames and fit all the non-boxed A-body frames. They also pull double-duty as frame stiffeners as an extra bonus. You will be able to install a T56/T56 Magnum, 4L80/4L85, 4L60-4L70, TH400 or 2004R behind an LS in your car using this crossmember and either of the Hooker engine mounting bracket sets.

I will be starting on the design work of the headers (mid-length and long-tubes) and exhaust systems (2.5" and 3") next week, which will take me through the end of the month to complete.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Todd, this new information sounds great and the timing should work well for me also. I have a question about the motor mounts. I assume you are building the geometry around the 302-2 oil pan, have you experimented with different front drive fitments? The reason I ask is because I would like to use a stock 5th Gen Camaro front drive with an LS3 in my '66, mainly because I want to mount the AC compressor low on the passenger side. I really don't like to open a hood and the first thing I see is an ugly-ass AC compressor staring at me. Paint it, plate it, incorporate it into a $3k billet front drive system, it's still ugly. So I would like to keep it in the stock position low and virtually out of sight. Even if the motor mounts will not allow for this, an adapter plate for the compressor would also get the job done. This would be very beneficial for those of us using a used pull-out engine assembly.

Keep up the good work, I should be ready for those motor mounts whenever you can get them to market!

#7 ·
Yes, I have done preliminary fitment testing of the various FEAD components I have with the stock Saginaw power steering box and can tell you two things relative to using your LS3 with these new Hooker engine brackets. 1.) the mounting brackets will allow you to install/use a low-mount AC compressor and 2.) your stock low-mount alternator will more than likely not be compatible if is shares the same fitment envelope as the 4th-gen F-body alternator/bracket, which I have tested. I will be going through the motions again on Monday to check the compatibility of the truck, F-body and Holley (same as Corvette) FEAD set-ups with the newer Delphi 600 box that is popular with a lot of guys...maybe that will hold some promise for you.

#12 ·
This thread was reported as a parts for sale ad, but no parts are being offered for sale. Todd is the product engineer for LS stuff at Holley/Hooker/whatever. I don't see this as a for sale ad, I'm leaving it.

Reactions: tommycomfort
#13 ·
Thank you Tom. I'm merely here to offer technical information and answer questions pertaining to this system of components that will be released in the near future. I do not solicit sales of products as it's not part of my job description at Holley.

#17 ·
Todd

I'm looking for a little more specific info on running a T56, Any idea of tunel modification in a 66? I just picked up my Trans today.
The amount of effort required for you to install a T56 will be much less using the forward-bias engine bracket set than the rear-bias set. I have mocked-up a T56 install with the foreword-bias brackets and believe I could get that set-up functional through heat/hammer forming at the front of the tunnel and cutting/rebuilding the tunnel around the shifter housing only. This is with new body bushings in place, so keep that in mind. Using the rear-bias engine brackets will require the need to cut/rebuild the entire tunnel over the trans and the base of the firewall.

#16 ·
I'm excited about the engine mounts and exhaust, but disappointed us convertible guys don't get a crossmember. Since I'll have to figure out my own solution for a crossmember that works with all the Holley parts, will you at least offer a reference drawing with basic dimensions. I want to be sure to get the right driveline angles and that the exhaust bolts up properly.

#18 ·
Hey AZ66Malibu. Depending on the transmission you plan on using, you will be able to use your stock convertible crossmember to enable you to get your powertrain installed. We will eventually develop a crossmember for the boxed frame cars, but it will be done as a separate effort. If you tell me what trans and which set of engine brackets you would be using I'll be happy to provide you some point of reference.

#19 ·
I have an update for those hoping to use the truck FEAD system as part of their swap... the Hooker forward-bias engine brackets + the truck FEAD system + a 1993-95 3.4L V6 F-body PS pump pulley = a successful install with the Delphi 600 series PS box.

I previously tested the same set-up with the stock Saginaw PS box and found that although it fits, you'll have to provide some extra clearance between the steering box and the truck PS pump reservoir by grinding the casting of the box, or the reservoir housing itself. The first photo depicts the 600 series box mock-up and the last photo depicts the OE Saginaw PS box mock-up

Attachments

#22 ·
The forward-bias engine brackets have been developed to provide better fitment compatibility and optimized u-joint working angles with late model transmissions. The rear-bias brackets were developed primarily for use with the legacy GM automatic transmissions or users who feel that want to use that mounting position regardless of the floor cutting/rebuilding required to obtain optimized U-joint angles at that position. Yes, the headers will be compatible with both sets of engine brackets.

#26 ·
Great work so far. Wish this was available 4-5 years ago.

For those of us not in the know, can you tell us what FEAD is? Thanks!
Thanks for the supportive words. We've been asked about development of a swap system for this application for quite a few years now and I'm glad to be finally developing one to solve the common issues associated with it. FEAD= Front Engine Accessory Drive.

#25 ·
The stock A/C compressors/brackets that are part of the truck, F-body/GTO or Corvette accessory drives iare what I'm referring to that will bolt on with the Hooker engine brackets. Out of the three, the truck compressors are the only ones that are fixed displacement and theoretically compatible with aftermarket A/C systems, such as those offered by Vintage Air. You can also buy aftermarket low-mount A/C brackets for the popular Sanden SD7 or 508 compressors.

#29 ·
Hey guys, here's the project update for Friday 5/13/16...
I finished the prototyping of the long-tube headers today and will be starting the prototyping of the exhaust system on Monday. The headers will fit with the Hooker forward bias and rear-bias engine bracket sets and will allow starter servicing without having to mess with the right side header. Component and ground clearances are great as depicted in the following photos...

Attachments

#33 ·
Todd,

I plan on using the stock clutch linkage with a T56 setup on my 67. I don't think the long tube headers will clear the stock linkage ?
If I use the cast iron hooker exhaust manifolds, how do they compare to the long tube headers ? I'm building a 500 hp LS (GM hot cam 219/228)

#31 ·
Validating fitment of Hooker swap components with the stock evaporator case is something that is done in all our applications so to be able to give an absolute answer of compatibility to a prospective user who wants to use the stock evaporator case. At the current pace I'm working at, you should begin to see these parts begin to become available 5-6 weeks from now.

#32 ·
I beleive that GTO was the same car that was on the lift when I toured with the Cars and Cones group. The parts visible at that point looked quite nice, to the point that I may swap headers over the winter for better ground xlearance.. Nice work!!!

Kerry

#41 ·
Todd, A couple of questions. How much are you having to move the engine forward to get the clearance on the T56? Also, how much can you lower the car and the driveline angles still work out?

Will any of the parts come out earlier than the 5 -6 weeks (i.e. the mounts) or are they all going to become available at one time? I'm just at the point at starting to put things together and would love to have a set of the engine mounts. I have a 67 Malibu but am using a convertible frame for rigidity so I would also like to get some info on what the driveline angles are with the matched cross member.

TIA Ted

#43 ·
Hello Ted, you'll be able to install a T56 using either set of engine brackets, but the forward bias set will require a reduced amount of floor modifications and a better shifter location inside for those running a bench seat. The forward-bias engine brackets move the engine/transmission mating plane forward by an inch, and with that the rear of the LS cylinder heads end up in the same location the rear of the stock SB Chevy heads would be located. I will be mocking-up the driveline this coming week in the GTO and sharing the U-joint working angles acheived here so you guys can see what you can expect to achieve with these components.

#45 ·
rpol78, I see I forgot to answer part of your previous question...the parts will be released in a staged fashion beginning in 5-6 weeks. The long-tube headers and engine mounting brackets will be released first, followed by the transmission crossmember, exhaust systems, and mid-length headers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.