Does the ET match the MPH? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 1:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ron

Does the ET match the MPH?

I was able to make a couple passes for the first time with new engine combo. I had some traction issues but was able to get one pass in the 12s. Based on the attached ET slip, is high 12s about all there is in this thing?
The car is a full dressed 66SS with a 461", 3:73 gears, 4 speed and 255/60 MT ET Streets. Not sure what it weighs but add my 240lbs to what it should weigh.
It seems my mph is high for the ET??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1963_1497807676884.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	452034  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 2:12 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage
Re: Does the ET match the MPH?

Your 60 foot is horrible. Your 60 foot should be about half a second quicker. That should translate to more than half a second improvement in ET. Provided you can bang gears real good.

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" Billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Sea rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel rockers, Cloyes Timing Set, 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Dominator EFI, Stef's #1705R pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" converter
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 2:13 PM
Senior Tech Team
Vince

looks like your 60' was real poor
must have been spinning alittle
but with that mph and a good launch
i see low 12's or high 11's

by the math you should be able to go 11.60's with that mph and a good launch

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 2:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ron

Yeah I spun each time. Just the least amount on that pass. I had 18.5 lbs in the tires. A little to much RPMs I suppose. I admit to granny shifting the Muncie.. had to make it home.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 3:10 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Dragway 42 lives!

I agree with the others, 60ft improvement will yield the most results. It's all about getting your launch technique down, no small task with a BB/4sp/255 tires. Do you have a close-ratio or wide-ratio 4sp?

114mph is pretty strong, though!

-Dave

'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.55, 12.18@109 -- Megasquirt2-Extra, Holley Stealthram / Hotchkis A-arms / Hotchkis Springs / B-body 12" brakes / 1.25" F-body swaybar
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 3:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ron

Wide ratio. I put the M22 gear set from autogear in it. 2.56 first gear.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 3:19 PM
Senior Tech Team

Street cars usually don't ET as well as their their MPH would suggest, adding a manual transmission to the mix makes it even less likely.

There is a lot left in your car, there are probably many places to pick up ET. Like stated above most revolve around getting the car to work well in the 60ft.

Next time you go have someone video your runs starting with the burnout and staging.

Steve R

Last edited by Steve R; Jun 18th, 17 at 4:08 PM. Reason: Zzzzz
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 3:59 PM
Tech Team
Gary

Theoretical optimal ET is 1320 / mph. For 114 mph that would be an 11.57.
It's difficult to achieve even for some full drag cars. It's easier to make more HP to go faster than make a car hook harder.

My Nova has been a best of 11.64 @ 113.5 on slicks with a slipper clutch launching at 5K.
Gary
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 4:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ron

Well that is encouraging to hear. I know I will never truly optimize the power. The car is too nice and rare being a true 13817 to beat up. Shout out to Mr. Straub for the cam, AFRs, Morels and other goodies. I been waiting for 3 years to try this engine out.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 4:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Eugene

Maybe you don't need to worry about it. Like you say the car is too nice and rare to beat up. If you get the car to start really hooking up you may start breaking things. The one thing you can take away from this is the car went 114 mph and that is pretty good.
mr 4 speed likes this.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 6:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkerman View Post
Maybe you don't need to worry about it. Like you say the car is too nice and rare to beat up. If you get the car to start really hooking up you may start breaking things. The one thing you can take away from this is the car went 114 mph and that is pretty good.
While agree 100% the only thing people care about is ET. Kinda like torque. No one ever asks "How much torque does that thing make" MPH isn't sexy... My coworker took his 2017 VW Golf R (2.0 liter turbo) down the track and went 12.54 at like 104 mph. Hard to swallow only running 12.90
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 7:35 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

Yep broken record here. you need to get it to hook better.
255 tire. would be nice if you could stuff a 275 in there.

I ran my 78 nova for many years with different combos in it.
275-60-15 uniroyal tiger paw radials I could feather foot it to a 1.8 60 foot and 110 MPH best ET was 12.55 with those tires.

You mentioned spinning and air pressure.

I want to assume you did a burnout test on dry clean flat pavement to decide on best air pressure.

If not here it is.. every little bit will help.

Clean dry flat pavement do a launch and see what kind of tire marks you make.

Are the black marks light in the middle and really dark on the outside.. if yes you need more air pressure.

Is the mark dark in the middle only and very little on the outside.. if yes let some air out until the marks are evenly colored.

Your burnout technique may need work also.
Some tires will need more heat to get sticky.. during a burnout some tires will change pitch if you have a good ear.

I was running some dirt track tires at the drag race track and they would not hook.
I pulled the tires off my Ford van and stuck them onto my Nova and ran quicker they were 235-75-15 Goodyear wranglers.

Tall tires really work well to make things hook sometimes.
Nice to have many sets that will fit also.

I bet it was still fun for ya though.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 8:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ron

Ya know i did not test the contact patch. I just arbitrarily set the psi at 18.5. I did a minimal burnout as I was told the ETs just need to be rolled not smoked. The tires are almost done and I will go to the 275s next time. I did have fun but didn't realize it until after the 35 mile trip back home. Pretty stressful until then.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 8:32 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLM66SS View Post
My coworker took his 2017 VW Golf R (2.0 liter turbo) down the track and went 12.54 at like 104 mph. Hard to swallow only running 12.90
Wow, that's the other end of the spectrum. That's a fantastic ET for the MPH. A little work on the launch, and you'll be there ET wise, but running away at +10 mph.

-Dave

'70 Chevelle ZZ383/700r4/3.55, 12.18@109 -- Megasquirt2-Extra, Holley Stealthram / Hotchkis A-arms / Hotchkis Springs / B-body 12" brakes / 1.25" F-body swaybar
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 17, 8:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ron

Yeah that little VW is all wheel drive with launch control. He has a tuner on it and actually has one more level of tune if he wants. It's only got 2900 miles on it. Pretty impressive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.