• 2 Post By blue_69_malibu
  • 1 Post By slimsls6
  • 3 Post By Dave Birdwell
  • 1 Post By Saltherring

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 4:13 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

rebuilding my LS6

going to start pulling engine this weekend. engine is using a lot of oil and is not running good. I hate to do it but I need to maintain the car. thinking about lowering compression for todays gas and possibly going to a solid roller instead of flat tappet. what are your thoughts on lowering compression and going to a solid roller? i want the car to sound correct. This car gets driven and enjoyed, thats why i'm thinking about lowering the compression to around 10 to 1 or so. thanks for your thoughts. Jim

1970 LS6, unrestored, 4 speed,special ordered orange

1972 Nova, 557ci, Legend 5 speed, FiTech EFI 8, lemons Headers, 723hp/690tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 10:29 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Re: rebuilding my LS6

I'd almost build a different 454 for the car and leave the LS6 alone. If you do rebuild it make sure if the block has to be decked that the numbers don't get "erased". Assuming it's a numbers matching car. It's only original once.
fr8dog, DragRac69 and Saltherring like this.

1969 Beaumont
1977 Bronco
The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech Team
JIM

I doubt it truly measures 11.0 now. So I wouldn't lower it. I'd just get the right cam to make it work the best.

Jim.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 11:45 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

I think you really need to take it to a shop and tear it down to see what you have. I would look at it as a freshen up. I'm a fan of roller cams, and I would change to one. I wouldn't go too heavy on the machining if it isn't truly needed, and of course a valve job. That way you would feel better about not voiding the original LS6 feel.
blue_69_malibu, rp930 and slimsls6 like this.

'69 Chevelle SS (Almost on the road, and it runs again, but in the body shop for a while.)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Comp Custom Magnum HR 306/303 Adv dur 246/248@ .050 .680/.647-112LSA-108 ICL (Crap!...ate the cam's distributor gear!)
NEW CAM: Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ (Dyno numbers with the Comp Magnum Cam)
T-56 Magnum trans with McLeod RST
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 12:03 PM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

for something as cool/rare as a real LS-6 that needs a freshening up/basic maintenance for a 47 year old car, i'd look into a custom cam from Chris Straub or Mike Jones.

you should be able to bleed off enough compression to run on 91ish octane pump gas....and get a cam custom matched to your heads/engine/drivetrain.

going roller obviously decreases the risk of FT cam failure on break in. I don't fear breaking in a FT cam today like many do.....but I don't have an original LS6.

just my two cents.....
rp930 and Saltherring like this.

'69 Malibu 350/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. E-Tec 170s, Lunati 60121HR, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 670, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. 12.99@ 105.5MPH
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks guys. the engine is going to a builder to be disassembled and inspected. Not sure what they will find but it has to be fixed. The block will not be decked. Possible bore? Dunno. I just hope this doesn't hurt the value of the car too bad, but it is still the born with engine. JIm
Saltherring likes this.

1970 LS6, unrestored, 4 speed,special ordered orange

1972 Nova, 557ci, Legend 5 speed, FiTech EFI 8, lemons Headers, 723hp/690tq
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 17, 6:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chevelle Doctor

Jim, Chris Straub has a solid roller cam that will sound just like the original. I used one in a customer's car, and Albert put one in his COPO 427. THe lift is mild, like .540/.560 so it's easy on the valve train. You'll need matching springs with good retainers and locks, new pushrods, and roller rockers. I used Scorpions on the LS6 I did, I think... You'll need longer rocker arm studs, and short polylocks for the exhaust side, but it will clear the stock valve covers. You'll also need to remove the pan from the bottom of the intake as the number 3 exhaust lifter won't clear with it on. Not a big deal.
Let me know if you have more questions. I'm sure Straub can put together a whole package for you.

Authentication and pre-purchase inspection service still available. PM me for more information.
Still looking for that elusive 76 Nova SS.
People who have nothing better to do than b!tch about signatures need to get a life.
70 Chevelle L78/M21
10 Avalanche LT 1500 4wd
06 Equinox
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 6th, 17, 10:39 AM
Tech Team
Ole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris27 View Post
I'd almost build a different 454 for the car and leave the LS6 alone. If you do rebuild it make sure if the block has to be decked that the numbers don't get "erased". Assuming it's a numbers matching car. It's only original once.
I recently pulled the "numbers" L78 block from my '69 SS Chevelle and replaced it with another JD-coded ('69 396/375 hp/4 spd) block with matching 840 heads and 163 intake. I fired the new engine off on Thursday with stock Speed Pro (11.0:1) L2242+.060 pistons, dimple rods, .010/.010 cross-drilled GM steel crank, Howards flat tappet solid lifter cam (stock L78 grind + .020 lift) and freshened heads with Milodon stainless valves and NOS GM valve springs. Short block was balanced and honed with torque plates. The block was not surfaced, thereby leaving the numbers intact. Quench is in the .035-.045 range using steel shim head gaskets.

The (Speed Pro) rings seated quickly and the engine sounds strong. A peek under the valve covers reveals all rockers opening at what appears to be full valve lift.

But the best part of this story is that the "numbers" block and date matched 291 heads are now getting a well-deserved rest.
427L88 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.