Well,It Finally Gave Up - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

Well,It Finally Gave Up

My Ram Powergrip HD clutch.Went to Cecil TNT Saturday,first time out this year with the Elky.Second car down the track,on Cecils killer track prep,my fault.Set the slicks tire pressure on deadhook,I usually like to make a pass to see how things are before I do that.Leave at 4700 off the two-step,launches hard,1.48 60',big wheelstand,7200 powershift second,hooks up for an instant,then,bang,nothing.Thank god for rev limiters.Caruck is now just free rolling along,no banging,no noise,which is a good thing,its not a expensive gear issue,blown rear or trans,nice and quiet.Look in the mirror,I'm not oiling anything on the track,just let her roll all the way to the turnoff.I know what it is,but after over 7 years,hundreds of torturous passes,it gave up,no more!
When I built the drivetrain for this Elky,I built a beefy rear(Moser),big driveshaft,have a strong trans,(G-Force) but I didn't really want to put in a complicated (to me) slipper clutch.Not cheap either.So I bought this relatively inexpensive Ram Powergrip HD clutch.Figured it would get me by for a little while till I figured out what clutch I should have or could afford.But it just kept going and going and going,almost like it enjoyed the sadistic regular beatings I served out.This clutch has suffered with me through a couple of engines,different transmissions,and has been with the Elky from when we started at low 12's,down to 10.40's.I just kept throwing this clutch back in every time I had something apart,and it has held up to an umerciless thrashing.
Until Saturday.Now I feel like I've lost an old friend.I don't know if I'll get another Ram,because I'd be disappointed if a new one doesn't hold up as long as this one did.But I probably will,lol.
RIP Ram Powergrip HD number one!

70 SS 454 LS-5 M-22 Bornwith Drivetrain-Sold New Baldwin Chevrolet
72 SS 454 El Camino W Code-427 4spd.
60',1.46, 6.63@103.59 10.45@128.1
My Showroom
Elky at Cecil https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQuBitMOA5w
Chevelle Resto Pics http://www.chevelles.com/forums/35-r...tion-pics.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 12:06 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: Well,It Finally Gave Up

Put it back in!!!! There is still life in those disk pucks!!!
DougA and tucson67ss like this.

Ray

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=DSC01615.jpg
Best pass so far 9.034 at 148.10, 1.242 60'
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 1:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post
Put it back in!!!! There is still life in those disk pucks!!!
Ray,in the old days,I would have scrounged up a disc somewhere,roughed up the flywheel and pressure plate,and put it back together at the track.
Now that I'm a semi-old fart in my 60's,it just gets tougher and tougher to pull that trans and slap'er back in anymore.
427L88 and Brownd3max like this.

My Showroom

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 2:01 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougA View Post
Ray,in the old days,I would have scrounged up a disc somewhere,roughed up the flywheel and pressure plate,and put it back together at the track.
Now that I'm a semi-old fart in my 60's,it just gets tougher and tougher to pull that trans and slap'er back in anymore.
Tell me about it. Its not as easy as I remember wrestling that t-400 in and out of the Chevelle anymore. I remember the last 4 speed I did in my Nova about 4 years ago. I think they added weight to the Muncie transmissions. They were lighter 20 years ago!!!!!
Pat_McNeil, DougA and SUS396 like this.

Ray

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=DSC01615.jpg
Best pass so far 9.034 at 148.10, 1.242 60'
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 2:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Gerry

Ain't THAT ^^ the f--n truth!
DougA likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 2:35 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

You don't mess around do you Dough
DougA likes this.

YOU KNOW YOU HAVE THE POWER..... AND IF YOU USE THAT POWER BAD THINGS ARE GOING TO HAPPEN!!

Mike Lewis street 572
http://www.lewisracingengines.com/
Holley HP EFI
Marcella Manifolds
Heads by Darin Morgan
Wires from Rick@Firecore
www.firecore50.com/
Cam by UDHarold
.456 X 1.8/1.7
Menscer Motorsports
http://menscerms.com/
R2C Filters
www.r2cperformance.com
Ultra Carbon
www.ultra-carbon.com/
GF-5R,
http://trzmotorsports.com/wp2/
TRZ FAB 9" 4.56 REM, Cryo Treated
4000 lb street car
My Showroom
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 2:53 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Doug with such a long relationship could you do a quick write up/review on the HD clutch. How it worked on the street and track before it blew.

Myself I was looking at buying one but am skeptical. Any info would be great.
DougA likes this.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 5:23 PM
Team Member
Geoff Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracketchev1221 View Post
Tell me about it. Its not as easy as I remember wrestling that t-400 in and out of the Chevelle anymore. I remember the last 4 speed I did in my Nova about 4 years ago. I think they added weight to the Muncie transmissions. They were lighter 20 years ago!!!!!

Put my TKO 600 in and out a few times then switch back to the Muncie. You will do the Muncie one handed... I hear you guys though, 100 pounds is heavier than it was in my 30's !!!
DougA likes this.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 5:39 PM
Team Member
Geoff Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougA View Post
My Ram Powergrip HD clutch.Went to Cecil TNT Saturday,first time out this year with the Elky.Second car down the track,on Cecils killer track prep,my fault.Set the slicks tire pressure on deadhook,I usually like to make a pass to see how things are before I do that.Leave at 4700 off the two-step,launches hard,1.48 60',big wheelstand,7200 powershift second,hooks up for an instant,then,bang,nothing.Thank god for rev limiters.Caruck is now just free rolling along,no banging,no noise,which is a good thing,its not a expensive gear issue,blown rear or trans,nice and quiet.Look in the mirror,I'm not oiling anything on the track,just let her roll all the way to the turnoff.I know what it is,but after over 7 years,hundreds of torturous passes,it gave up,no more!
When I built the drivetrain for this Elky,I built a beefy rear(Moser),big driveshaft,have a strong trans,(G-Force) but I didn't really want to put in a complicated (to me) slipper clutch.Not cheap either.So I bought this relatively inexpensive Ram Powergrip HD clutch.Figured it would get me by for a little while till I figured out what clutch I should have or could afford.But it just kept going and going and going,almost like it enjoyed the sadistic regular beatings I served out.This clutch has suffered with me through a couple of engines,different transmissions,and has been with the Elky from when we started at low 12's,down to 10.40's.I just kept throwing this clutch back in every time I had something apart,and it has held up to an umerciless thrashing.
Until Saturday.Now I feel like I've lost an old friend.I don't know if I'll get another Ram,because I'd be disappointed if a new one doesn't hold up as long as this one did.But I probably will,lol.
RIP Ram Powergrip HD number one!

FWIW, I installed a Center Force Dual Friction 12", yes, 12" clutch about 6 months ago and I'm really happy with it. I have only put a dozen or so passes on it, but so far so good.
DougA likes this.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 7:09 PM
T_R
Tech Team
Tom

Same here. I used to just lie under the car and bench press the trans up in there. Now I use a floor jack. Getting old sucks.
427L88, Pat_McNeil, DougA and 1 others like this.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 7:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by aukai View Post
You don't mess around do you Dough
Tough job Mike,but someone has to do it.

My Showroom
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 7:57 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R View Post
Same here. I used to just lie under the car and bench press the trans up in there. Now I use a floor jack. Getting old sucks.
The last time I put in a Muncie I almost killed myself as my arms got weak before I got it fully into place. I too used to just bench press it into place.

When I did a clutch in my 06 GTO a few years ago (Tremec 6-speed) I bought myself an articulating transmission jack. It was worth every penny. Those Tremecs are incredibly heavy!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 7:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFast Beaumont View Post
Doug with such a long relationship could you do a quick write up/review on the HD clutch. How it worked on the street and track before it blew.

Myself I was looking at buying one but am skeptical. Any info would be great.
Stick guy my whole life,best all around performing clutch I've ever had,BUT.In the Elky,I have 4.88's,with a 2.93 first gear,full slicks,crazy high slr.Works well with this setup,90% of my use is at the track.Would I put it in my mild 454 Chevelle?No,have a popular Centerforce in it,decent clutch,but would never use it in my Elky.A Powergrip HD is a full sintered iron clutch,isn't for everyone.Will make a screeching noise if slipped too much,caused by too tame of a rear gear,a problem I don't have.Can also be a little hard on the flywheel,but I just had my Elky's Hays 10-130 turned yesterday,and it only took.010 to clean it up,not bad.If you have a full tilt street strip performance car,with the right gears,the Powergrip HD is the choice,imho.Supposed rated at 650hp,my 427 dynoed 635.It's not a crazy radical clutch,and very decent pedal pressure like most diaphragm clutches.They also have a Ram Powergrip non HD,a little milder clutch,that I would probably put in my Chevelle if the Centerforce gives out,which I doubt will happen,because I baby the Chevelle anymore.The regular Powergrip is sintered on one side of the disc,organic on the other.Would probably solve the noise problem,and wouldn't be as aggressive as the HD.Would seem like a real good choice for most street performers.Any other info just ask.

My Showroom
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 8:25 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

You did real well with that clutch and steel flywheel. Your right that SLAabout 14 sure helps. Im trying to decide on clutch for new power like you too old to fool with a slipper clutch anymore

How hard did it hit on gear changes
DougA likes this.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 17, 8:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN SS View Post
You did real well with that clutch and steel flywheel. Your right that SLAabout 14 sure helps. Im trying to decide on clutch for new power like you too old to fool with a slipper clutch anymore

How hard did it hit on gear changes
Bill,It hits pretty hard when I'm making a pass,but I'm a big guy,and I'm trying to rip the stick out of the floor,full on powershift,lol.When I get on the two step at the starting line,the gas gets matted,and I don't let off the throttle till I'm through the lights.Slightly blip the clutch when shifted,helps the dog rings release for the next gear change.The hotter the sintered iron gets,the more it bites.So by the time I'm pulling gears,it's probably pretty hot from the launch,and not slipping any,I would think.If you watch my videos,you'll see air under my front tires at all shifts,including 4th usually.
And yeah,I'm all about low maintence.Too old to learn about tuning a slipper clutch,and I'm probably one of the few here that doesn't want to go any quicker than I am,happy where I'm at.Faster=more broken parts=more money.
rel3rd likes this.

My Showroom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.