OK i'm a dumbarse valve adjustment - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 3:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

OK i'm a dumbarse valve adjustment

So having never done it before I really just jumped into it not really thinking.
Not sure why but it was one of those things. So now car won't start well, sometimes i can get it to almost start.
i saw some rockers that where really lose almost off type lose. So i cranked them down. no 1/8. 1/4, 1/2 turn here crank it down.
How do i go from here? i've been told that a compression test would be a good place to start. What would be the best way to proceed? if all else fails I'll take it somewhere but i would rather try to fix my own screw up.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 3:10 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Garage
Re: OK i'm a dumbarse valve adjustment

Everything you need to know is right here - https://www.centuryperformance.com/v...OoereKbqSCEK7w
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 3:29 PM
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

here is another way also, with number 1 at top dead center, adj exh valves 1348and intake valves 1257 ,then with number 6 at tdc adj valves exh 2567 and intake 3468 , iv done this for years no issues good luck
rel3rd and JFS65 like this.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 3:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Thanks but just because I screwed it up i would rather ask a dumb question then go further into issues. website said let it warm up, can't because it will not start. To begin again, do i loosen them and start or do i leave them alone and start the process again?
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 3:50 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Adjust them cold, get it running, warm it up, and adjust them again. P40's method is the easiest to start with.
JFS65 likes this.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 3:53 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

My guess is you have them too tight causing valves to hang open, no compression on some cylinders. I like to adjust using the "running" method. I use Lisle Rocker Stoppers to control the oil flow, always worked for me. But you should start with P40's method.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 3:55 PM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Here is a how to video of a guy in a ford t-shirt setting valves.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 4:21 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

OK i'll give it a shot, now would it help to do a compression test on it? Just thinking that the ones that are not getting a reading would be the ones I start with and go from there.
Is lose better then too tight? I'll be honest again, i did this in November, closed it up and said I would deal with it when the weather breaks. Weather is breaking and i forgot which ones I cranked down. Since it's a flat tappet cam with hydraulic lifters, how do i know it's good? for example i see the rocker arm go up and i adjust it. how do i know how far is too far Vs just right? What if it's one that I cranked to all hell? should i loosen that instead of tighten?

from what I'm reading loosen seems to close the valve, tighten opens the valve. So if i cranked the valve it's in a open position and not sealing, ok If that's the secret then i may just be ok.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 4:27 PM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

First thing I would do is set all the valves, get it running and go from there.
Steve R likes this.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 6:22 PM
Tech Team
Ed

Garage

This is assuming you have hydraulic lifters, correct? The link 1967convert posted is pretty good information, not just what to do, but why.

1967 El Camino Malibu Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350 FiTech 600 (In Progress), 700R4, JGC Steering, 1990s serpentine.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 6:30 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

You can do it as explained in post 3 as long as your not running a radical cam. I would loosen them all up first. Then get it to #1 TDC and grip the push rod for each valve moving it gently up and down between the lifter and the rocker arm. Tighten slowly until there is no up and down movement, then tighten a 1/4 turn more. Do this for each valve. Then start it and adjust it running by slowly loosening each rocker until you hear it start to clatter, then tighten until the clatter stops, then tighten 1/4 turn. Your done.

Note it will be messy so try to get through them as fast as you can.

Your just jealous because you can't hear the voices!

1967 Olds Cutlass 468 BBC/T400
1963 Plymouth Fury 440/Torqueflite
2006 Ford Mustang GT (momma's car)

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/n587/oldcutlass/

http://s1141.photobucket.com/albums/...lass/plymouth/
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 6:45 PM
Team Member
Geoff Swanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by layz View Post
OK i'll give it a shot, now would it help to do a compression test on it? Just thinking that the ones that are not getting a reading would be the ones I start with and go from there.
Is lose better then too tight? I'll be honest again, i did this in November, closed it up and said I would deal with it when the weather breaks. Weather is breaking and i forgot which ones I cranked down. Since it's a flat tappet cam with hydraulic lifters, how do i know it's good? for example i see the rocker arm go up and i adjust it. how do i know how far is too far Vs just right? What if it's one that I cranked to all hell? should i loosen that instead of tighten?

from what I'm reading loosen seems to close the valve, tighten opens the valve. So if i cranked the valve it's in a open position and not sealing, ok If that's the secret then i may just be ok.

LayZ,
Do you even know if this is a hydraulic or solid cam ? If not, you need to determine this first as the valve adjustment procedure is very different for both cams.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 7:03 PM
T_R
Tech Team
Tom

Back them all off in case you have some cranked down too tight you don't make it worse by bending valves. Then just do them one at a time. On each cylinder when the exhaust valve is open adjust the intake and vice versa. For hydraulic cams adjust until all the lash is out then 1/2 turn more. If you don't know the cam specs do it this way. Cams with a lot of overlap can't be adjusted by the tdc method.

Once you have them all adjusted correctly, then do your compression test and see if you did any damage.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 7:25 PM
Tech Team
Rame

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R View Post
Back them all off in case you have some cranked down too tight you don't make it worse by bending valves. Then just do them one at a time. On each cylinder when the exhaust valve is open adjust the intake and vice versa. For hydraulic cams adjust until all the lash is out then 1/2 turn more. If you don't know the cam specs do it this way. Cams with a lot of overlap can't be adjusted by the tdc method.

Once you have them all adjusted correctly, then do your compression test and see if you did any damage.
Yeah some damage might have happened, but don't lose hope keep trying. A friend of mine did what you did, thought the rockers were loose and tightened them down it was on a stock 80s engine and no damage happened.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 17, 10:57 PM
Bob

You have to determine first if you have solid or hydraulic lifters. Adjusting solids like a hydraulic in the video will result in bent pushrods or valves.
tucson67ss likes this.

1969 SS396 Convertible
http://www.geocities.ws/bobtiley/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.