Team Chevelle banner

Rotella CK4 -WARNING-

20K views 53 replies 24 participants last post by  Calculated Risk 
#1 ·
Quote posted on FB, Lake Speed Jr, Driven Oil:

Just an FYI, we tested the new formula Rotella (CK-4 instead of the old CJ-4). Even with a bottle of Comp 159 Break-In additive, it did not end well. Granted, our break-in test is pretty tough - 145 lbs seat pressure, 350 open. Still, we broke-in 6 cams with 4 different break-in oils without any issues before the new Rotella + 159 killed a cam. This post is just an FYI to anyone using Diesel oils for break-in, etc...

#36 ·
Where did you hear VR1 10-30 was not good stuff.
I did post it poured like water and my oil pressure dropped.. but that could be drain back issues.. Or the 10% more volume oil pump.

Or I need to quit cruising at 4000+ rpm.
My 306" ford would suck the pan dry no matter what oil I used with the HV oil pump at 4200 rpm if i stayed in it for a minute or longer at that RPM.

I kept the VR1 in my ride for 2500 miles or about a month and had no other issues with it other than the above.

#38 ·
If I remember correctly Ashland is where Valvoline is made....

#41 ·
When its all said and done.............. 36.000 Miles on my 468 B.B. using Brad Penn. Many years of operating my one owner 454-4-Sp. Again on B. Penn.
Both are flat tappet engines. I will stay out of this conversation and continue to use B. Penn oil. :thumbsup:
Bob
P.S.
Using the wrong oil in your class 7-8 road tractor. How about 2 to 4 grand to replace the Re/ Gen system & Electronics on your- K W or Petercar !

#43 ·
Ford has not approved CK-4 in any of their diesel trucks, new and old. They have tested it and found excessive engine wear from the CK-4. FOMOCO has a list of approved oils and Rotella 5W-40 has not been approved.

#47 ·
Well 540rat, sir, that is quite a bit of reading-and I'm not talking about your post here.

It is the best and most comprehensive listing of oil testing and performance. Thank you for your extensive work and sharing it.

I will say I'm surprised at the numbers of what many people, including myself, considered good oil.

#48 ·
Since Im walking by this dead horse,lol,I will say this.
Its a fact that my flat tappet cam manufacturer(Melling) included a card suggesting three oils for break in,all three of them off the shelf diesel oils.
Its also a fact I added a bottle of Zddp for extra protection.
Its also a fact that the cam broke in well,and the motor is strong and healthy to this day.

#49 ·
Chris how long ago was that cam purchased and installed? I also broke in my cam with diesel oil, but it was before these new formulas were being marketed.

#50 ·
It was my 468 build for the chevelle,October,2015.
I used Rotella(from mellings recommended break in oils card),but someone hed remarked to me that I had better use the additive also because the oil might not be what it used to be.
I know mellings didnt actually make the cam,its the made in USA company that makes them for a few people.I think theyre in Michigan,but Im not sure.

#52 ·
That's a safe response,lol.IDK,the card was in the cambox.
I got the feeling(I forget why now)that the cam was pretty new.There was a holdup on shipping from them or something.
My idea was to use exactly what they had told me to use,just in case something had gone wrong.

#53 ·
Yeah I thought so too 😊.

Using what was recommended on the cam card covers you if something would have gone wrong. I would have done the same, my paper work said nothing about the oil to use. My cam break in was done in 08.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.