454 W/ tunnel ram for the street. - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
kent

454 W/ tunnel ram for the street.

Before anyone says "search" for this. I have read several archived threads already. My question is if you were going to build a 454 for street use with a tunnel ram, how would you do it. By this I mean what heads, cam, manifold, carbs? This will be for a 64 with manual trans so rear gear input would help too. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 10:53 PM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage
Re: 454 W/ tunnel ram for the street.

I think if you want to run a tunnel ram on the street keep the carbs smaller like 500-600 cfm (per carb) and get the smallest plenum manifold possible. Gearing I would say 4.10 or better maybe 3.73 at the least. Cam will need to be fairly big maybe in the 240 or so at .050 range. Hydraulic roller would be a good idea. The problem is for the street you want drivability and more low and mid range whereas the tunnel ram is really for high rpm. The problem is the cam probably needs to be really big (bigger than what I said) which in turn would make the car have no low end and idle like crap. That being said with the technology they have today a single 4 barrel on the street is the way to go, but the tunnel ram does look nice and is somewhat unique today on the street. Not to say you can not get it to work but there is a balance.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 17, 10:55 PM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

On the heads some good flowing oval ports would be interesting but I am not sure if they make tunnels rams in oval ports. Most of them are square ports I think. The idea is here is to keep air velocity up so you don't have a wet dishrag driving this thing up to 4,500 rpm.

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 12:01 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

Why not a pair of 450 holleys and just a mild cam and 3.73 gears? Keep the cam street able, maybe not going for the last horsepower but keep it drivable.
I did a single quad tunnel ram on a sb400 with a 625 Carter. 3.08 th400 stock stall converter and it was perfectly driveable. Jim

Jim
68 el camino custom, daily driver 327 th 350
70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 el camino, SS clone (sold!)
71 nova 350 4 speed with 4.10 gears! Sold
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block!
67 el camino 307/th400-3.31 12bolt Sold
post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 5:09 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Twin Holley 600 carbs on a Weiand street type tunnel ram should work well.
Also,a tunnel ram for square port heads will work just fine on oval ports.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 5:21 AM
Tech Team
Durand

Tunnel rams work on the street just fine.
Opinions vary on carb sizing.
On a mild/med. built 454 I would run 600cfm carbs with vacuum secondary's. (yes vacuum secondary's)
You just need to connect the vacuum diaphragms together for balanced operation.
Something along this line. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...make/chevrolet

As for gears that depends on tire size, cam, intended usage etc..

65 Pontiac Lemans 468 BBC, t400, 4.10 12bolt

Best 1/4 mile. 11.43 @ 118 mph
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 7:06 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVelle View Post

You just need to connect the vacuum diaphragms together for balanced operation.

Like this kit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-73
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 7:32 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Allen

Can be a good street set up, a friend ran a mild SBC (383) with a tunnel ram as a daily driver. Claimed it was as good or better than any single carb set up he ever ran. Rode in the car a few times and it was not lacking for throttle response had good low speed behavior.

I think it would be a sweet set up with dual Fitech or Sniper (when/if they release a duel system) injection. Old school looks with modern livability.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 7:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

One of these days I will drop this 454 into something,thinking about a building a Grumpy 68 Camaro clone.
Has 063 ovals with 2.19/1.88 valves,small dome pistons,233/243@.050 110 LSA hyd. roller. Carbs are 1850-2 Holley 600
Motor ran real strong with an RPM intake/750 dpl. pumper in a 4000 lb. car..should be fun with this set up in a lighter car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tunnelram.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	419578  
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 8:55 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Like said, TR's can work just fine on the street. Most modern engines these days have very long runner intakes that are just laid over to fit under the hood. I think the ultimate 454 setup would be a good set of oval port heads and an Edelbrock 7115 street tunnel ram with a pair of sideways mounted 750 dp's and a good hyd. roller. That could be one bad SOB.

One of the biggest misconceptions in the performance world is that tunnel rams are for high rpm and nothing could be further from the truth. Long runners with the right cross section can be more streetable and make better torque at lower rpm, have better power curves throughout the rpm range and make more total power than just about any single carb intake on the market.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
STRAUB TECHNOLOGIES
Performance Cylinder Head Specialties
Custom Engines and Camshafts
Retail/Wholesale Parts Sales

New CANFIELD BB CHEVY cylinder heads now available.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/members/46633-steelcomp.html
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 10:16 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

Yes, but the new cars have fuel injection which can be a lovely thing when tuned correctly. On my C6 Z06 I have the MSD LS7 intake and the ports are pretty big and the tube is fairly long like 8 or 9 inches, so yes it is a tunnel ram sideways and it has a good size plenum underneath with the injectors just before the heads. I will post a photo of the MSD without the top below.
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 10:21 AM
Tech Team
Lew

Garage

MSD with top off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MSDopen.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	419586  
steelcomp likes this.
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 11:25 AM
Senior Tech Team
Scott Foxwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew540 View Post
Yes, but the new cars have fuel injection which can be a lovely thing when tuned correctly. On my C6 Z06 I have the MSD LS7 intake and the ports are pretty big and the tube is fairly long like 8 or 9 inches, so yes it is a tunnel ram sideways and it has a good size plenum underneath with the injectors just before the heads. I will post a photo of the MSD without the top below.
EFI isn't what makes the long runners in modern engines work so well. I've had plenty of TR's on the street and an 820hp 467 that had a TR and (2) 1050's in a drag boat. That motor would have been very drivable on the street. A pair of well tuned, properly built carbs will run as well as any efi. Carb technology has come a long way in the last ten years. I'm not taking away form the versatility of EFI, just saying you really don't have to give up anything with carbs on a TR on the street.
fr8dog and Rokker like this.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
STRAUB TECHNOLOGIES
Performance Cylinder Head Specialties
Custom Engines and Camshafts
Retail/Wholesale Parts Sales

New CANFIELD BB CHEVY cylinder heads now available.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/members/46633-steelcomp.html
post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 11:26 AM
Tech Team
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
Like said, TR's can work just fine on the street. Most modern engines these days have very long runner intakes that are just laid over to fit under the hood. I think the ultimate 454 setup would be a good set of oval port heads and an Edelbrock 7115 street tunnel ram with a pair of sideways mounted 750 dp's and a good hyd. roller. That could be one bad SOB.

One of the biggest misconceptions in the performance world is that tunnel rams are for high rpm and nothing could be further from the truth. Long runners with the right cross section can be more streetable and make better torque at lower rpm, have better power curves throughout the rpm range and make more total power than just about any single carb intake on the market.
MARK THIS DOWN. I pretty much agree with Scott on this one. Might also consider the 750 Edelbrock cars as well, but other then that, I CONCUR.

SCOTT, on my PM with regards to tunnel ram BBc, I would be using the bigger brother to this 7115 intake. I would move to the 7085 for my stuff.
post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 17, 2:48 PM
Tech Team
Jesse

Garage

I hope to find out someday, I bought a oval port dual quad tunnel ram 2 600 holley's the vacuum secondary balance housings and a NOS accell distributor to put on my 439. I even bought a LM-2 from Innovative Motorsports for tuning. I really want a old big block crossram for grins. I have a victor ram for a small block that has the linkage and carbs/filters but someone put the vacuum secondary 600's on sideways!

Jesse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.