Team Chevelle banner

Dragstrip DRAG RADIALS: 295/55/15 ET STREET S/S or 275/60/15 ET PRO?

27K views 96 replies 25 participants last post by  rel3rd 
#1 ·
So I plan to bracket race my street car this year, and am close to needing new drag radials. Never really had any issue with the 275/60R15 S/S ET Street Drag Radials, but they sure wore out fast...
Absolutely no chance of me running ANY bias ply tires, so no need to even discuss them

I run 15x8 wheels.

About the same money for my 2 choices , so that's a non-issue.

My 2 choices are both Mickey Thompson Drag Radials

1. 295/55R15 ET Street Drag Radial S/S

2. 275/60R15 ET Street Drag Radial PRO

#1 is DOT legal, #2 is not.
#1 "should" work and are an inch wider than what I have been running.
#2 is supposed to be a very awesome tire...

I DO actually DRIVE the car as much as possible, so that's a factor...

Opinions?

See less See more
#2 ·
I thought about those 295/55's for mine. Wasnt sure they would fit though. I've run the 275 version all last year....Still have a ton of tread left at least 100 passes on them and alot of street miles. Surprised yours wore out so quick. I just do a quick burnout to clean off the tires and go though...

For bracket racing Id think either should work....for the 295's you might want a 10" wheel though...i have 295 50 15 BFG street tires and they are on a 10" rim.

#3 ·
Bob, I heard a rumor that MT is releasing a 275 ET Street R this month. Basically a 275 pro with a few grooves that is a real DOT street legal tire. I am running the 325 ET street R . when they actually get released is anybody's guess. If you don't care about Street legal , 275 Pro is a proven tire.

#5 ·
I presently have FOUR rear wheels that match the fronts . All 15x8s.

Two have 285/70R15 BFG's, and two have the 275/60 ET STREET S/S drag radials.

Definitely not buying another $500 pair of wheels...

#6 ·
Bob trust me, I've been drag racing all my life and I know for a fact that the Radial PRO's are definitely the best on the market right now. :yes: When I went to the Buick GS Nationals with my GN, all the fast guys were running them….and by fast, I mean F-A-S-T…(7's in the 1/4 mile) :eek: The downside is that I don't think they're DOT approved and they probably won't last as long as other drag radials… but one thing for sure…They hook! ;)

Claude. :)

#8 ·
Well, I guess the ET PRO is the way to go, and then just plan on swapping the extras on for cruising....

I actually meant to make this a 2 part question...with Part 2 being a gear question....so I'll add it here....

Car is 1/2 second slower with the 3.08 gears, which isn't a problem, and actually helps it hook....

Would you guys run the 3.90's and wring it out in high gear, OR...

...3.08 gears, barely hitting high gear, and lowering the chance of traction issues....while not beating on the car as bad????

#14 ·
What type of Bracket Racing do you plan on taking part in? Better to be the quicker car and do the chasing down.

If you had the 3.9s or 4.11s would be low 11s which over here would be the Fastest of the 'Super Street' DYO class who can go down to 11.0 seconds.

#16 ·
If its more consistent with those gears then leave it. You don't need another variable as traction to take you out. A drag radial is a little difficult in a bracket race since once it spins its done. There is no recovery. A bias tire will slip but you can still be in the race. So if it helps, I wouldn't touch the gear.

#18 ·
Yeah, with 4.10's is where it ran it's best number ever, but it was staying revved higher than I like, for the last 300 feet or so.
3.73's aren't worth the effort IMO, since I already have 3.90's.
The 3.90's aren't bad at all, but occasionally, but not very often, it'll spin. In fairness, this is at a very sticky, usually very well prepped track, but on the off days, the guys get a little overzealous with the water box and then once water starts getting dragged out, then I seem to find it...The car has never spun with the 3.08's. Not enough torque multiplication, I guess.

Like I said, I'm not concerned with the car slowing down, hell it's not fast by most standards...but it IS actually more enjoyable to drive on the street with the 3.08's.

Have you thought about these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nit-180490 Nitto NT555R 275/50/15. I'm very satisfied with mine, FWIW.

You seem to drive your car a lot.....which means you'll likely get stuck in the rain at some point. The MTs kind of s*ck in any amount of water.
I thought about Nittos for my extra wheels, but definitely not for the dragstrip. I agree 100% that they last and are much deeper tread for the street, but I seemed to outgrow them a few years back. A shame since they are quite a bit cheaper...$225 vs. $150.

What type of Bracket Racing do you plan on taking part in? Better to be the quicker car and do the chasing down.

If you had the 3.9s or 4.11s would be low 11s which over here would be the Fastest of the 'Super Street' DYO class who can go down to 11.0 seconds.
Either Sportsman/Street class: 12.00-19.99, or
Pro/Heavy class: 7.50-13.99

Ironically, I've always had better luck being the one that is chased...the faster they are, the sneakier they are though, lol.

I've seen video's of you "driving" on the street Bob...no tire you can buy is going to last. :D
Whatever do you mean sir??? 0:)

If its more consistent with those gears then leave it. You don't need another variable as traction to take you out. A drag radial is a little difficult in a bracket race since once it spins its done. There is no recovery. A bias tire will slip but you can still be in the race. So if it helps, I wouldn't touch the gear.
That is why I was leaning towards swapping the 3.08's back in...it's never spun with those on it, at the track, and is right at that 12.00 limit without being one of those sandbaggers. I'd much prefer driving the car, consistently, and running the number I wrote on the window, as opposed to dialing in half second or more slower than I run, and playing the games at the traps.

And you're 100% right, if I do even spin a half turn, it seems to ruin the whole run, everytime.

I looked yesterday but they weren't there, but today they are :D

ET STREET R

Gonna snare a set myself.
I've seen them in Jegs catalog, but they don't have a 275/60r15 in that tire.

I don't know why they used to have ET Streets, and ET Street Drag Radials, now they have like 6 or so different versions...it's stupid. I liked the ORIGINAL 275/60R15 ET Street Drag Radials...previous set lasted 2 years, with well over a hundred passes, and well over a hundred burnouts for fun...The S/S version are pretty much done in one season...36 passes total... :frown2:

Thanks for the replies guys...keep them coming.

#13 ·
Have you thought about these: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nit-180490 Nitto NT555R 275/50/15. I'm very satisfied with mine, FWIW.

You seem to drive your car a lot.....which means you'll likely get stuck in the rain at some point. The MTs kind of s*ck in any amount of water.

#22 ·
A good friend of mine runs both the SCSO's and the brackets on Sunday,heavy class.He's pretty good,runs two cars,low 9 second Mustang,(Chevy powered),and a 10 flat Nova.He finishes pretty decent in all his classes every year,but he said the tough hombres are the Sunday bracket guys.Good luck whichever way you go,have fun!

#23 ·
My first SCSO was very much a learning experience.
Got there at 8, made 1st time run at like 10:30, 2nd one at 1 or so, and then 1st round loss at about 3:30.
Just way too many cars there, and as you know, I mostly go by myself, then can never seem to park near a speaker that actually effing works, LOL, made for an excruciatingly long day...

#24 ·
I could see the 295 wanting a 10 inch rim that's what I have on the BFG and it fits nice. Maybe for the straight the 8s work but going around a corner not so good. Probably need to look at the rim width chart on it. Unfortunately when dealing with a 10 inch rim the tire becomes an inch wider than an 8 inch and many Chevelle it becomes a clearance issue along with getting an exact rim backspacing.

#25 ·
Mickey Thompson website references a 9.5" wide wheel for the 295's, and an 8" wheel for the 275's, so have decided a 275 is what it will be...just need to decide which ones now. Summit and Jegs say the 295/55 can use 8-10" wheels? I agree though, I don't want it bulged out real far, since that kind of defeats the purpose anyway.

I have Centerline wheels and the 10" wheel options, unfortunately, have nowhere near the right backspace. Since I already own four 15x8's, they're my only option, as far as wheel width. I have plenty of clearance on either side of the car, on either side of the tire, so don't need/want to mess that up. :thumbsup:

#30 ·
That's backwards logic, isn't it? Shorter tire = car thinking it has even more gear, and has more torque multiplication.

Not to mention, my front tires are 27.1" tall, and would look silly with 26" rears. :surprise:

If the 15 x 8s are steel rally wheels they have places that widen them may help your back spacing a little. Even a 15 x 9 would be better.
They are Centerlines...any wheel changes, wheel modifications, wheel purchases, are 100% NOT an option...

Could you fit these under the car Bob...maybe carry them in the trunk? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-3058r/overview/
Looks like they're a month from expected date of shipping?
It'd be a non-issue, since I trailer mine to the track...
After being rollbacked home 3 times in 1 season (quite a few years ago), I refuse to NOT trailer it to the track. I even have a 10K# winch in case it breaks, and since I am always by myself at the track. :thumbsup:

These are what I use for "cruising"....they are 30.75" tall and about the same widths as the ones you linked, so would clear everything easily, on the 15x8's, since these I use are even taller and are fine. I guess you're saying rather than swap gears, and since I need tires anyway, just go with a taller tire??

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cok-629711/overview/

#34 ·
What sucks there is Summit's $38 premium on them to ship, as oversized... :(
I have Summit gift certificate from Christmas, so that screws me out of an extra 40 bucks. :D

Bob, are your 285/70R 15 bfg tires the Coker tire repops? If so how do you like them? Did they ballance out ok, did you check road force?
Mine ride and drive great. Balanced easily.
These are real BFG Radial TA's, not the repop Coker Radial TA "Silvertowns" or whatever. I got mine from a guy who had bought them for his Truck Street Rod...37 Chevy and they were too tall. Got them for hundred bucks with zero miles. :grin2:

The car looks almost mini tubbed from the side...and they last forever...

Is this what you mean by road force? ;)

https://youtu.be/vkvduDfnBaU

#41 ·
Ever think about 3.31 or 3.42 rear gears?

#44 ·
I actually HAD a nice set of 3.36's that I sold to Tory here on the site.
The 3.08's are only mentioned, because I have them already, and they're a simple swap and a little bit of gear oil away from being in the car.

My take on this is using the most appropriate tire for the task. DOT's or street legal tires have their place, but there just isnt a good reason to not use slicks when one has the opportunity. For bracket racing the game is to reduce as many variables as possible rather than trying to maximize performance...I don't think gearing plays that large of a role in this instance.
I hear you on the drag specific tires Rich. My logic for doing the gear swap, was to make the car more "fun" for all around driving, since with the 3.08's, I can easily flow with, or away from, highway traffic, and as a bonus, the AC seems to work better at the lower RPM/higher speeds. With the 3.90's, and the 28" drag radials, I can stay with traffic, but at a bit more rpm, and in a steady 50 or so mile cruise, on the highway, I'm already not really liking it. The converter is not too loose at the lower rpm's, but flashes pretty decently, which definitely helps the "fun factor" on the days I am just driving around, or to an actual destination.

My son went through the same thing, albeit a bit more extreme, in his Fox body.
T-trimmed 331 stroker, evidently a built for the 1/8th mile car, HAD a PowerGlide, 4500 stall, a spool w/4.88's and a pair of MT ET PRO drag radials...so, he could terrorize anything light to light around the neighborhood, but couldn't drive the thing any distance without headache...I swapped in a C4 with a 3500 or so stall, and some 3.55 gears with a 31 spline Traction Loc...now he loves the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.