Holley Carb vs MY Edelbrock 750 - Chevelle Tech

Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 1:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brandon

Holley Carb vs MY Edelbrock 750

Hey guys I have a Edelbrock 750 Electric choke on my engine and it runs great and all but this weekend I swapped a friends holley 750 on and it seems like the car picked up so much. My question is could you guys recommend a carb for my engine? This is also my daily driver but I also like to race it sometimes too since the local track here has opened back up. I'm not too worried about gas mileage but dont want to just throw away gas driving around town. I was looking at the Holley 670 and 770 SA and also the Holley 750. But want it electric choke. Thanks a bunch

350 bored .060 9.8:1 cr
4vr flattops
Ported/polished vortecs, 2.02/1.6 valves, milled 60cc, 3 angle VJ, bowl blend, etc
.028 head gasket
160 t-stat
weiand airstrike intake w/1" 4 hole spacer
750 eddy carb
Accel dizzy w/ accel 8mm red wires plugs gapped at .045 ACdelco
1.52 roller tip rockers
Lunati voodoo 60103 w/comp 941 springs
Headers straight through flowmaster 40s out the back with NEW X PIPE
TCI streetfighter 700r4
3000 stall 9.5" unit NEW Custom built.
8.5 rear, locker, 3.42 gears

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." Nelson Mandela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 3:05 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Re: Holley Carb vs MY Edelbrock 750

The 750 vaccum secondary is avail with electric choke. Dont worry about it being "too big" its vacuum actuated. I personally dont see much merit in the "new" SA series of carbs, but imho....

This guy http://www.holley.com/0-80508S.asp

Shop around. Should find it for less than retail.

Not surpirising that the Holley ran better. the old Carter carbs were often junked in favor of a Holley ( in teh 70's) . the edels are old carter carbs. Nothing new.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 3:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Is your buddy's 750 a vacuum sec or a double pumper? I would think a 650 double pumper would be alot of fun on that motor, the double pumper "hits" harder than a vac sec.
post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 4:20 PM
Tech Team
mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfret1970 View Post
Is your buddy's 750 a vacuum sec or a double pumper? I would think a 650 double pumper would be alot of fun on that motor, the double pumper "hits" harder than a vac sec.
I second the 650DP.

As far as the choke, does it get that cold in your part of the states?

1969 Chevelle
412 small block
M-20 4spd
4:11 12 bolt

1957 Thundarbird Gasser
Aluminum Shafiroff 582
Richmond 5spd
4:33 59 Olds rear
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 5:11 PM
Senior Tech Team
mike

We spent hours screwing with jets/idle mixture/advance curve/timing,etc...trying to get a 3310 to idle both in neutral and drive on a mild 383. When we got it to work fairly well, I pulled out a Street H.P. 750 vac. sec. carb and bolted it on--perfect, out of the box.
The same engine with a 770 Street Avenger worked great also.
I was really impressed by the Street H.P. carb, but it's more money and has no choke. When we had my engine in a friend's Dodge Dart, we used the Street H.P. carb, and with a really tight converter and not enough gear, it ran 11.40's with just a jet change from out of the box.

Mike Morgan Racing Photography
652 W. Bennett Ave.
Glendora, Ca. 91741
(626) 335-9025
(626) 221-4935 cell
http://bowtie0069.fotki.com

http://thefunnycarfarm.com
post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 5:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brandon

@427L88, thanks for the heads up. I've been looking around at the different holley carbs but have no idea of what I can put on my car to make it run a lot better than this Edelbrock.

@mfret and mark, Wow I never thought about a double pumper because I've always heard that they just dump tons of gas while crusing. The 750 carb that I used of his was a Holley carb but I dont know the name of it or model number of it. He just say it was a Holley and it was vac sec. As far as the weather here during the winter months, its not that cold here. Doest get below 20-30 degrees here. So its not really that cold. It may get to freezing maybe a few days out of the winter season but nothing as serious. Will the 650 or 750 DP be best and make the car quicker with than the Eddy 750. BTW, I have a Holley pressure regulator installed also.

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." Nelson Mandela
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 6:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
jeff

If you take the path of just slapping a carb on and hope it is better than what you got,,then you better research what your buddy loaned you..and find out what jetting his had....because it was probably closer to the optimum jetting for your ride than the jetting that is in the 750 edelbrock..

Have you played with jetting and springs and rods along with float levels in the 750 edelbrock?

I have for many years used the AFB style carbs and my racing buddy had a hang up about me running them,,,so one day i called him on it..he had a 750 double pumper with percys blocks and some other stuff..i let him put it on my ride and tune it to his hearts content...over 1/2 the day and he gave up..it would not pull as hard on the big end as my carter 750 afb...

He was to say the least,, confused.....I installed my 750 on his 400 poncho..and it was way snapier and pulled harder.....
These were old style holleys and carter carbs..his was bought in late 80's my afb was 1990....better carbs out now ,,,but none will work to the fullest with the wrong jetting and air bleeds..etc etc
post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 6:31 PM
Team Member
George

Have you ever done anything to the Edelbrock carb or is it stock out of the box?

My '71 Malibu:

355 9.7:1, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and intake, Clay Smith hydraulic roller cam (280/294 .516 lift), Holley 650 DP, Pertronix ignition

TH350 Allstar 10" converter

12 bolt posi, 3.90 gears, MT ET Street DR 275/60/15

W/ 3.31's…...12.87@104
W/ 3.90's…...12.70@106
W/ 125 shot..11.85@112
post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 7:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff swisher View Post
If you take the path of just slapping a carb on and hope it is better than what you got,,then you better research what your buddy loaned you..and find out what jetting his had....because it was probably closer to the optimum jetting for your ride than the jetting that is in the 750 edelbrock..

Have you played with jetting and springs and rods along with float levels in the 750 edelbrock?

I have for many years used the AFB style carbs and my racing buddy had a hang up about me running them,,,so one day i called him on it..he had a 750 double pumper with percys blocks and some other stuff..i let him put it on my ride and tune it to his hearts content...over 1/2 the day and he gave up..it would not pull as hard on the big end as my carter 750 afb...

He was to say the least, confused.....I installed my 750 on his 400 poncho..and it was way snapier and pulled harder.....
These were old style holleys and carter carbs..his was bought in late 80's my afb was 1990....better carbs out now ,,,but none will work to the fullest with the wrong jetting and air bleeds..etc etc
I agree... Just because its a Holley doesn't mean it will run quicker... The Holley is a better design for racing, as there are more aspects to fine-tune. A DP is great for no-compromises, WOT performance, but is far from the most fuel-efficient carb, which can be a consideration on a street car...

I have actually swapped several DPs for VS Holleys, and often ran better (quicker ETs at the track) with the VS. These were tuned (jets, cams/squiters, VS springs). While the DP's felt like they hit harder, the ETs didn't show much of anything... And on the street, the DPs were harder to keep traction without detuning further...

Slicks or drag radials and a good suspension, DP will offerthe best performance, but then its also a compromise with street driven (often more fuel than needed when cruising around).

The past 15 years, I got into Edelbrocks more and more. I am far from an expert tuner on them, but they have performed very well... On every car (at least 5), they have improved ETs over the previous Holleys (partially because some Holleys were DPs that were hard to get traction-street cars)... granted, these were all traction limited street cars (high 13s to mid 14s).

My current ride uses an Edelbrock. Despite the "wimpy" Edelbrock, it still easily overpowers the drag radials on the street (from a 20-25 MPH roll). The Edelbrock has been dead reliable. Out-of-the-box, I have gone 12.34s at 110 with a 1.71 60 ft time, with a lowered, road-race/pro-touring suspension. Ihad to leave near idle (about 1500 max) or the tires would smoke and 60-ft droppped to 1.9-2.1... I still haven't had a chance to run it after some tuning.

I had it on for 3+ years, and never a problem. I had an ignition problem a few weeks ago, that I thought was carb-related. "cleaned/rebuilt" the carb, and it fired and ran nearly perfect before I even rechecked the tune...

Personally, I wouldn't spend money on a new carb, unless you have tried tuning and reached the limits (or simply "need" a new carb).

It would be very interestign to know IF you ever tuned the Edelbrock (properly), and what ETs it runs... and them some ETs with a Holley.

It seems most people that bash the Edelbrocks, have never tried tuning/racing them (and maybe never even ran one)...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 7:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brandon

Jeff and George, first off Hi guys and thanks for the responses. But I've had this carb for a year or more and I've never had it rejetted or anything like that. Its still OUT OF THE BOX adjusted except for the 2 screws on the front of it. Honestly where I'm at, I dont know many places that has the KNOWLEDGE to even do that CORRECTLY. The ONE guy that I do feel comfortable with jetting it is always telling me to take it off and put a smaller one on. He's always showing this Holley cfm booklet when determining a carb for an engine. But he say he would not adjust my carb because its too big for my engine. Thats why I was asking here on what I should do. I tested my car out with that Holley and it felt 10x better running through the 1/4 than my eddy 750 has ever felt. But Im at the point now where I want my car tuned RIGHT and I just want to make sure I have the CORRECT carb for my application. If its any other information you guys need please ask. You all have guided me this far and I just wanna be a tad bit quicker come Independence Day. And Im going to call him in a few mins to ask him what all he's had done to his carb. Thanks

post #11 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 7:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brandon

Tony, No I've never got it adjusted correctly or anything. I've been reading on here and the internet about an adjustment kit for the Edelbrock carb that I'm thinking of ordering within the next few days and maybe just drop my car off at a SpeedShop. But I want to make sure Im ordering the correct kit. I really want it to perform better than what it is because I know it can but I do not know how to adjust them myself and I just hate taking my car to a shop for anything. But it seems like this is what Im going to have to do. Right now I would like for it to be a LOT quicker than what it is and the gas mileage thing im not too worried about but dont want to just WASTE it you know. I do have a 92 5spd Honda Accord so for extra long trips thats what she is for. lol. The longest 1 way trip I put my car in is maybe 200 or so miles so I dont think gas mileage would be that bad on the interstate. I dont drive it around town much. I just need it to perform like it should now.

post #12 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 7:29 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ron

Check these quickfuels out....

680 vac sec with electric choke or 735 vac sec with electric choke.

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/c...condary-1.html

69 Camaro
491/AFR 315/Straub hyd roller
TH400/GV OD/9" 3.50
post #13 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 9:19 PM
Team Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87caprice View Post
Jeff and George, first off Hi guys and thanks for the responses. But I've had this carb for a year or more and I've never had it rejetted or anything like that. Its still OUT OF THE BOX adjusted except for the 2 screws on the front of it. Honestly where I'm at, I dont know many places that has the KNOWLEDGE to even do that CORRECTLY. The ONE guy that I do feel comfortable with jetting it is always telling me to take it off and put a smaller one on. He's always showing this Holley cfm booklet when determining a carb for an engine. But he say he would not adjust my carb because its too big for my engine. Thats why I was asking here on what I should do. I tested my car out with that Holley and it felt 10x better running through the 1/4 than my eddy 750 has ever felt. But Im at the point now where I want my car tuned RIGHT and I just want to make sure I have the CORRECT carb for my application. If its any other information you guys need please ask. You all have guided me this far and I just wanna be a tad bit quicker come Independence Day. And Im going to call him in a few mins to ask him what all he's had done to his carb. Thanks
I'd try alittle tuning with your existing carb first. Since you haven't, might as well. Figure out what model # you have then look on the Edelbrock website it will give you the model # for the tuning kit.

These carbs are very easy to tune once you get the hang of it. If you have the manual for it, there is a section on tuning it. Changing the front jets/rods and springs are super easy. The rear jets are alittle harder since you have to take the top of the carb off. There is some linkage to take off, but once you see what to do, its really easy. On the Edelbrock websire are a bunch of tech videos that are really helpful too.

If I can tune these anyone should be able to. I'm thinking the Holley was probably jetted abit bigger is what the difference was....not just that its a Holley.

My '71 Malibu:

355 9.7:1, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads and intake, Clay Smith hydraulic roller cam (280/294 .516 lift), Holley 650 DP, Pertronix ignition

TH350 Allstar 10" converter

12 bolt posi, 3.90 gears, MT ET Street DR 275/60/15

W/ 3.31's…...12.87@104
W/ 3.90's…...12.70@106
W/ 125 shot..11.85@112
post #14 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 9:29 PM
Tech Team

I changed from a properly jetted Edelbrock AVS 800 atop a standard Performer RPM manifold to a Prosystems Holley 950 HP on a ported RPM Airgap with a 1" spacer. I also changed to a 1.6 rocker on my intake at that time. I picked up a whopping 16 RWHP, most of which I attribute to the rocker and intake swap. Bottom line is, don't expect miracles when changing to a Holley.

Before I bought a new carb, I would buy a rod/jet kit for the Edelbrock and tune it properly. Under 500 HP the Edelbrock will run right with a Holley if set up correctly. Read the tuning manual, and take each circuit one at a time. Tune the idle with a vacuum gauge, (if you can turn a screw and read numbers on a gauge, you can do it correctly) then work on the WOT, then the cruise and transitions.

and fwiw, I can change Edelbrock rods and springs in less than a minute, and I know I can change all 4 jets in that edelbrock faster than my double pumper, all without having to take my fuel lines all apart and spilling gas everywhere. I hate the process on a Holley.
post #15 of 97 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 11, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brandon

Well I really appreciate the help, I will order a calibration kit in the morning and I will go after the job myself. I'm mechanically inclined so I shouldn't have a problem since the manuals are pretty straight forward. I've noticed there are 2 750 carbs, the kit for my model number #1411 is kit #1489. But I have a question as to why the carb #1407 has a different kit #1480. I know my carb is jetted lean out the box and the 1407 is jetted richer but why 2 different kits? Should I get the recommended kit or would u prefer the kit for the 1407?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.