Header paint/coatings - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 2:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Header paint/coatings

Did a header painting related search-very helpful. One question though that didnt appear to be covered.

Is there any real reason/advantages for or against what color you would paint or coat the header? Black/Silver/white, etc.

I'm blasting my new Headmans and like the eastwood/VHT high temp cast iron color paint but maybe the black would run cooler and aid backpressure/scavange effect?

What do ya think?

Street driven LS5 454 TH400 4:10 gear 1971 SS El camino

Marc S

oops, maybe this should go in ENGINE section-sorry mods.

Last edited by 1971ss454Elco; Nov 30th, 10 at 2:20 PM. Reason: EDIT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 2:23 PM
Senior Tech Team
Will

Re: Header paint/coatings

I dont really think there is an advantage to one color over another other than aesthetics. I painted mine silver to kind of give the "coated" look. It didnt work very well and they ended up pitting and rusting in spots. As with anything else involving paint, prep is KEY. Also, I read a technique here about using a torch and heating the header up through the collector to kind of bake the paint and semi-cure it before you install. I never tried it but it sounds like a great idea and lots of people here have done it with great success. Eastwood makes good stuff so the paint should be the least of the worry. Take your time, do it right and it should come out just how you want it to.

My signature doesnt work anymore...
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 2:33 PM
Senior Tech Team

yeah color shouldnt matter at all. The only time color really makes a difference is when were talking about sunlight. Certain colors(like white) reflect light better, where others(like black) do not reflect as well. So....black gets hotter only because its not reflecting the light/heat source as much as the lighter color. I suppose its possible that certain pigments have properties which cause them to hold more heat, but I doubt it.

In this case, were talking about a heat source inside of the pipes, so the outside coating wont really have any bearing
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 2:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

I didnt think so but I kinda like that look of the collector from a profile looky loo of the car-nastalgic look I guess is all I'm after.

I think I'll go with the cast iron look,

Marc S
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 3:32 PM
Team Member
Joe

We always preheated the header tubes. Into the primaries and in the collector, then applied the VHT. It will flash off and cure almost immediate. Tried all different colors over the years, black stays the cleanest.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 3:43 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jp-15

What is it that you guys are using? Where do you get it? How long does it last? Do you spray it on with a gun, or does it come in a spray can?

66 chevelle
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 6:28 PM
Senior Tech Team
Will

I used VHT Flameproof spray paint. I got it at my local Autozone. Its a spray can. I used Dupilicolor engine enamel for the block though. Not the same thing and the Duplicolor doesnt last very long on headers at all. I think its only good to 500* where the VHT Flame Proof that I used is good to 1200* or 1500* IIRC.

My signature doesnt work anymore...
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 7:39 PM
Tech Team

My JetHot coated headers are rusting and chipping away after 3 years of occasional weekend cruising. That sterling finish they sell is a joke. I may blast them and try to paint.

72 Camaro 383 w/Dart pro 1's squishy lifters 3.73 gear.
11.58 @ 114 with a 1.60 60' in a full weight street car.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 8:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

I also used VHT black with great results. I got it at Autozone. Took about 4 or 5 cans. As stated i think the can said 1200 degrees.

If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 9:06 PM
Senior Tech Team
kevin

I used performance coatings over in ga (www.headercoatings.com). to do the hedmans on my big block. It seems like they do run a bit cooler since it was done. it costs $210 but they coat them in a ceramic based coating inside and out that looks like chrome. They also give you a lifetime guarantee. I tried the sand blast and coat with VHT paint routine. They looked good for a little while but pitted as stated above.....
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 9:10 PM
Tech Team

I have never had good luck with the spray can stuff it usually lasted about 2 weeks and the headers were bare again. lol. I would like to find something stronger other then sending them away for 3-4 hundred dollars to get them coated.

Souther72, I had the original coating from hedmann and it lasted a good 2 1/2- 3 years, but like yours, they started flaking and chipping. After that it's the rust thing.

66 chevelle
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 9:17 PM
Tech Team
Richard

A magazine did this test (Dont remember what one) and black dissipated heat faster. It wasnt a huge amount though. I used VHT 2000* spray paint. Sand Blasted, cleaned, heated then painted and it has lasted several months without discoloring or any other kind of flaw. I love it and will use it again if needed.

462 forged internals, Dart iron 308cc, Crower cam (Small 545 lift.) solid flat tappet, Weiand team G, Hooker comps, 565 hp/tq. All in a tight bundle of American steel called a 69 C-10.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 9:42 PM
Team Member
Jake

I use rattle can hi temp header paint. Prep is key. Get them to bare metal, wash them with hi pressure water hose, bathe in lacquer thinner, etc. Get them CLEAN, then apply light rattle can coats and cure each one with heat until the paint smokes. The torch didn't give the results I was looking for so I "roasted" mine over a boiling pot burner. There's like 4 or 5 coats of cast aluminum header paint on mine and they look good.

1972 Malibu Sport Coupe - Victory Red on Black - 350/TH350

I do all my own stunts.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 9:55 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
(The Other)Greg

Prep work and how you cure the paint is very important. I painted my Headmans nine years ago with Duplicollor 1200 degree engine paint (silver with ceramic). Only the collectors are showing some wear. The real trick to the application was putting the entire header in a oven and baking it at 500 degrees for two hours . The wife is still mad at me for that one .

TOG (TCNW resident Sportsman racer)
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 10, 11:10 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966malibu View Post
Prep work and how you cure the paint is very important. I painted my Headmans nine years ago with Duplicollor 1200 degree engine paint (silver with ceramic). Only the collectors are showing some wear. The real trick to the application was putting the entire header in a oven and baking it at 500 degrees for two hours . The wife is still mad at me for that one .
Before or after the paint? or paint, cook, paint, cook ETC.

66 chevelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.