Best Street/Strip Cam - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 01, 1:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I've got my 4.10's on the way(swapping out 3.73's) Now, I'm thinking about going from a 280 to a 292 Comp Magnum cam on my 396. I have a Performer 2-O w/ 750 vac. secondaries. After the cam I'll do the 750 DP and Perf.RPM. What do you think Racer 1320?

------------------
"Laissez Le Bon Temp Rouler' Cha!"
Chevytalk Moderator
GMforums Moderator
"Jungle"Jim
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
My Car
"I don't drive FAST, I just FLY low!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 01, 9:16 PM
Team Member
Dan

Nobody seems to like the Performer 2.0 around here. Makes me feel bad for putting one on my car.

------------------
Dan Orgill
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 01, 9:53 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Crane F304-2. Off the shelf on the 114 LSA if you want a nice idle and smooth power band or that grind on a 108 LSA if you dont mind big lope and want an earlier torque curve peak.

------------------
Gene Chaas
Gold Member 62/ACES
67 SS 427
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 8:46 AM
Tech Team

I gave up trying to give cam advise, every week theres something new. Call comp cams 800 number, these guys are the experts. Hey its a free call !!!! DO IT
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 9:05 AM

Jim, I don't like the cam you have now and definitely wouldn't recommend the 292. First it is too big and second there are far better grinds available today than that 20 year old piece.

Your Performer 2-0 isn't terrible except that the ports are cast for the small peanut port ovals and need to be opened up to the larger oval ports.

As you probably know I'm big on the HP Series Holley's but a standard 750 or Q-jet will get the job done.

Why change to 4.10's? Tell us what it is your trying to accomplish and how you intend to use your car. Give us the complete combo.

[This message has been edited by racer1320 (edited 01-13-2001).]
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 9:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Racer, I do drive it on the street but, I really need to start running it at the track. To this end I sold my old trailer and bought a new one with a dovetail(18ft.). I'm not really concerned with great street manners as I don't put many miles on it anyways.

The 4.10's are coming for two reasons 1. Everyone I know of that runs their Chevelle regularly does so with 4.10's. 2. I run a 28X12.5X15 Sportsman Pro Tire, I like the looks of those big meats but, they are tall and when they hook-up they the car does'nt accelarate like I want it to.

The HP is nice but out of my reach. I like Q-jets on my truck.

This engine(66 396) was assembled when I bought the car a few years ago and runs good. From what I can tell it has the factory type dome pistons,I was told a .525 lift crane cam,I know it has roller rockers,750 vac. secondaries,perf 2-O,Hei w/super coil,headers,and a TH350 w/2400 stall. I only suggested this cam as a compromise of price and what I thought you recommended a while back to BB_Mike......and a nice choppy idle would'nt hurt either.

------------------
Chevytalk Moderator
GMforums Moderator
"Jungle"Jim
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
My Car

[This message has been edited by junglejimmie (edited 01-13-2001).]
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 10:08 AM

Jim, a 396/402 with the cam (Ultradyne 280/288 Hydraulic ground on a 110LSA) that I recommended for BB_Mike combined with a turbo 400, the right converter (ATI 10" 408360) and 3.73 gears is good for mid to low 12's in a typical street/strip chevelle weighing upwards of 4000 lbs. Of course there is more to it than just a cam swap, like using the right heads and having them prepared properly but it's still a VERY streeatable, drive anywhere combo that isn't to expensive to build. In addition the heads, intake, carb, headers and converter can be used if you ever step up to a 454 or 502 based combo. Just some thoughts.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 11:15 AM
Team Member
Hey!

If it's the strip we're talking here, I can't beleive a solid cam hasn't been mentioned. How about a 282S from Comp or something similar? A nice 3500 conveter and single plane manifold will rock that 70! Especially with the new 4.10's

------------------
Triple Black 69 SS 396
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 11:17 AM
Todd Geisler

I do not recommend asking the cam company for a cam choice. They seem to be in a competition to sell cams and know that most buyers want to hear they need a big stick. Most cam companies I spoke with will recommend a cam much larger than needed to do the job. I believe a local machine shop/engine builder can be of better service in selecting a cam as they have nothing to gain. I suppose it goes back to the marketing and bigger is better mentality.

This is about the only time I don't call a manufacturer for advise.

------------------
Todd Geisler
79 Malibu
11.16@125.8mph
Malibu Muscle
http://www.MalibuMuscle.cjb.net
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 11:38 AM

Jimmy a solid wasn't mention by me because he doesn't need it. Besides the solid he would want to use in this motor isn't an off the shelf grind and would be a custom piece. Most cam companies smallest solid is too big for a street/strip 396/402 Chevelle. The single plane will only kill his ET potential.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 2:32 PM
Gold Member
Gene

The first cam mentioned ( the Crane ) is solid. and I would highly recommend a solid grind, and that one in particular. They just rev better and make can make more power. The smallest UltraDyne solid looks right too.

Ed, with 4.11s I think the smallest solid grinds ought be fine. He'll love the revs.

[This message has been edited by 427L88 (edited 01-13-2001).]
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 3:02 PM

Gene, you know I don't believe a BB need to turn alot of RPM to ET quick. The smallest Ultradyne solid at 243/251 @ .050 will make peak power at 6400 RPM in a 396 and wants to be shifted at 7000 RPM for best ET. Yet it still won't ET any better, perhaps marginally better than the hydraulic that I recommended that is shifted at 5800 RPM.

Now if we were to have a solid cam custom ground that is 8 degrees bigger on both the intake and exhaust lobe 231/239 @ .050 and have it ground on a 108LSA you'd be talking. This grind would make power in the same powerband as the hydraulic yet it would make more of it everywere. This piece comparing apples to apples would be about 1.5 to 2 tenths quicker.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 4:27 PM
Team Member

Jim, I'll be lurking around to see what you decide on. Do you have a base ET/time for your car as it is now? Nothing beats before and after results when your spending money.

I run the Weiand stealth intake with my Q-jet. the performer RPM will be fine with a Square bore carb.

I think my head work has a lot to do with being able to still pull strong at higher RPMS. Now I see why Gene like's that L88 . I have yet to run my car with slicks, but I am certain the above mentioned Ultradyne cam will net me mid 12 second ETs. I'm just not bright enough (yet) to get down to Ed's 12.3 second ET with the same combo.

Whatever your goals are, I wish you well

------------------
BB414, TH400, 3.73 posi,
13.1sec @ 105 MPH (TH400 needs clutch pack, Radial T/As = zero traction)
"I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end " J.T.
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 6:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by racer1320:
Jim, a 396/402 with the cam (Ultradyne 280/288 Hydraulic ground on a 110LSA) that I recommended for BB_Mike combined with a turbo 400, the right converter (ATI 10" 408360) and 3.73 gears is good for mid to low 12's in a typical street/strip chevelle weighing upwards of 4000 lbs. Of course there is more to it than just a cam swap, like using the right heads and having them prepared properly but it's still a VERY streeatable, drive anywhere combo that isn't to expensive to build. In addition the heads, intake, carb, headers and converter can be used if you ever step up to a 454 or 502 based combo. Just some thoughts.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, the 4.10's are coming, the TH350 and stall are staying and extra money for "good" heads is out of the question.......So, where does this leave me? I thought the 292 would be a good compromise. I guess I'm wrong. I still have to make what I have, work. So it's back to the drawing board. Thanks for everyones help, this is'nt the last you'll hear on this subject

P.S. Don't feel bad for me as we are planning to buy either a Motorhome or Camper to go with the 4X4 Suburban,Astro Van,Malibu,Bass Boat,etc......
------------------
Chevytalk Moderator
GMforums Moderator
"Jungle"Jim
70SS396 & 70 Malibu
My Car

[This message has been edited by junglejimmie (edited 01-13-2001).]
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 01, 6:48 PM
Senior Tech Team

I just swapped in a 292H cam in my ovalport 245Hp 454. It was benched before at 250rwhp at 4200rpm. After i dont benched it but it made 12.94/173km/h with stock stall, 3.19 rear and 26"tires. this in a 4-d chevelle 71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.