Weiand Stealth BBC Oval intake...who runs one? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 03, 3:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am considering trying one of these on a 496 BBC "049" head motor. Everyone seems to go with the Ed. RPM, was wondering how the large oval Stealth compares. Thanks. [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 03, 10:15 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
I was going to post a very similar question about how the Stealth compares to the Performer RPM. The Stealth has a bit higher RPM range rating which for my application would be a good thing.

Can anyone share some impressions of the Stealth?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 03, 10:26 PM
Team Member

I run one.

I had an RPM for about a weak. I didn't agree with the upper plenum for the spread bore. I now run a square holley on top of the Weiand's spreadbore opening. It lets my Merlin heads breath just fine.

Installation

member number 684
71' coupe project:
goal: 150+MPH, 9s driven to and from track, 275 front tire, 315 rear tire, 1000+HP
Build: 540cid, twin turbo, 4L80e, ...wait for it...

Heart of Dixie Chevelle Club
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 03, 10:50 PM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
Mike,
Are those Harland Sharp roller rockers? Like 'em?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 03, 11:44 PM
Tech Team

hey guys , i have some experience with a weiand stealth. before my current 68' chevelle i had a 70' ss454 that i built up and i used a weiand stealth with a 1/2 " spacer with fully ported 781 heads, holley 850, comp cam 294 s solid cam.595
.595 248/248 .050. the car was 3950 lbs with a 4 speed and 4.56 gear. it ran 11.80's at 118mph.
the stealth pulled very/very hard on the top end of the track. very good intake. i did port match the runners about 2" in . the as cast runners looked small. it was an excellent manifold.real deep plenum . ray
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 03, 12:41 AM
Team Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich-L79:
Mike,
Are those Harland Sharp roller rockers? Like 'em?
Yeah, they took some clearancing to fit under the low profile valve cover. Even with the double gasket method. However, they have a newer version available that have more radiused corners! Mine have near 13k miles on them, and they are getting pretty noisy. My car sounds like it has a solid cam now. but hey, what are gonna do?

member number 684
71' coupe project:
goal: 150+MPH, 9s driven to and from track, 275 front tire, 315 rear tire, 1000+HP
Build: 540cid, twin turbo, 4L80e, ...wait for it...

Heart of Dixie Chevelle Club
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 03, 12:51 AM
Super Mod
Rich

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by mr68:
hey guys , i have some experience with a weiand stealth. before my current 68' chevelle i had a 70' ss454 that i built up and i used a weiand stealth with a 1/2 " spacer with fully ported 781 heads, holley 850, comp cam 294 s solid cam.595
.595 248/248 .050. the car was 3950 lbs with a 4 speed and 4.56 gear. it ran 11.80's at 118mph.
the stealth pulled very/very hard on the top end of the track. very good intake. i did port match the runners about 2" in . the as cast runners looked small. it was an excellent manifold.real deep plenum . ray
Does this car get any street driving? If so, how does the engine act in normal driving? Does it have poor manners at lower RPMs? The selling point of the Stealth is that it has the good dual plane manners at low and mid ranges but still flows great at the top end.

(Matt, sorry if I've hijacked your thread, but I'm very interested in this manifold too!)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 03, 1:06 AM
Tech Team

rich, the car ran great(sold it 3 yrs ago) . it had the typical manners of a dual plane intake.it was pretty tall but i still managed to get a 1/2 in spacer under the cowl hood. it really performed nicely in all the rpm ranges, but the top end was fierce, i never thought a dual plane could pull that hard on the top end , but that intake did real well. the plenum is almost wide open with just a couple of small notches on each end. ray
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 03, 1:30 AM
Tech Team

I put on on my BB a month ago and it has great off idle with my lopy cam and pulls great I'm glad I didn't go with the Airgap.The machine shop talked me into it the did some test between Gap and Stealth with a big suprise the Gap didn't make near what it was advertised only 7hp.The stealth did a little better but torque was way up and alot better off idle.

Mike
TC#355
aces member #03260
69SS396
69 convertible
68 convertible
72 Olds 442 convertible
(JBROWN)
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/imag...4&type=profile
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 03, 3:25 AM
Tech Team
Chris

If you want top end pull with a dual plane you should also check out the Brodix HV-2016.

I orderd the small block version HV-1016.The shop accidentily sent me the 2016.

Man that thing shore were perty

I am a real stickler about casting quality,ya know casting flash,uneven ports,carb mounting not centerd.This thing was perfect.

I felt bad sending it back even though I don't have a big block

I was seriousley thinking about keeping it and selling it to someone on this board just to see if it was any good.

From the looks of it I think it would be tough to beat.

It's for Rectangle ports so I guess I should have never brought it up.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 03, 5:39 PM
Tech Team
Mike

I think the stealth and the RPM are pretty even. A friend tried both and they were within a tenth of each other on a low 12 second car.

Mike
70 chevelle
420 sb combo - 10.93@120.76mph
405 sb combo - 11.87 @112.5
307 combo - 12.91@105.33
68 chevelle 533 almost there
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 03, 6:40 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally posted by thrasher:
If you want top end pull with a dual plane you should also check out the Brodix HV-2016.

I orderd the small block version HV-1016.The shop accidentily sent me the 2016.

Man that thing shore were perty

I am a real stickler about casting quality,ya know casting flash,uneven ports,carb mounting not centerd.This thing was perfect.

I felt bad sending it back even though I don't have a big block

I was seriousley thinking about keeping it and selling it to someone on this board just to see if it was any good.

From the looks of it I think it would be tough to beat.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 03, 8:02 PM
Tech Team

I ran the Stealth on the rect. ports when I had them on. The plenum divider is cut down, that's where they get the extra rpm. It worked great. Weiand (Holley) places the vacuum port in the correct position, whereas Edelbrock places it where you can't get the correct fitting installed for you vacuum accessories. I'd buy another! [img]graemlins/beers.gif[/img]
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 03, 7:54 AM
JWA
Administrator
Jeff

Garage
Old Blue has it. I like it. In the low 12's with a solid roller and small cc big valve heads and 3.55 gears. I had mine coated straight from Summit by Airborne Coatings in OKC. Had an RPM on previous motor and don't think there was much difference but I wanted to try something different and also have a little more at the top end. It will be going on the next engine inline for Old Blue (496 or 540)

Gold Founding Member #158
Old Blue

The TC Search >> HOW-TO

TC photo >> HOW-TO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.