anybody run a comp cams xe250 - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 04, 2:11 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm looking for a cam to put in my 66 chevelle 283 and comp recommended the xe250. I'm looking for a little better gas mileage and throttle responce and they said that cam would be the best choice for my car. I'm gonna be running a holley 600 vs or a 525 road demon jr. on a edelbrock performer eps to replace the original 2 barrel. Just wondering if anybody has ran one yet and how they like it. Thanks, Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 04, 7:20 PM
Tech Team

I never used the XE250 but I did run the XE 256/268 on my BBC.... Idled smooth under the hood but still had a rupity out the exh..... Alot of people like this XE series of cams and many dont like them...I'm one of the later... After 3 years I removed it and put a different cam in......These XE do tend to have a fair amount of valve train noise.... often times sounding like solid lifter cams.... in fact my solid cam and my old XE hyd make about the same amount of tappet noise.... Personally I dont mind a solid cam makeing tappet noise but a hyd shouldnt.Many of the XE cams use an XE intake lobe and a HE ex lobe..but the XE250 uses a faster exh lobe so this " might " tend to be noisy....... These do tend to be harder on parts than a more conventional hyd cam.... if you are ok with that then go ahead.... if your not then maybe something a bit less " extreme " might be better.

Al.
1969 El Camino
1969 LS-1 engine is a 427/335HP BBC
passenger car mill..( mine is slightly modified ).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 04, 7:51 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

Look at the Magnum 270H or 280H, they might be just right for that 283 screamer. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

John Austin
Katy, Texas
'70 SS454 Chevelle "clone" project
My combo:496 BBC (454 +.060), Muncie 4 spd, Centerforce dual fric clutch, "781" heads 2.19/1.88, 12-bolt 3.73 Eaton posi, Scat forged rot assm (21cc Wiseco slugs for 10.4:1 CR), Lunati Voodoo billet 60213 hyd roller, Lunati hyd roller lifters, Scorpion 1.7 #SCP1014 roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM, Holly 850 Dbl Pmpr (1" spa), Carter 172 GPH mech fuel pump, MSD R2R dist. #8360, O'reilly Master Pro coil, Weiand high volume mech water pump, 772 stock 7 blade fan, Hayden clutch, fan shroud & Hi-flow 160 deg T-stat, Doug's 2" x 3 1/2" headers
2006 Ford F-250 crew cab 4x4
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2012 Honda Accord V6 EX-L
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 04, 8:54 PM
Tech Team
Rick

If you do use the XE cam,don't use there red lube to install it...Get some of the grey/black moly lube to use.I have one of the xe268's in my BB402 They are a bit noisy like was mentioned above....

[img]graemlins/waving.gif[/img]
Rick

66 300 Deluxe BB 5spd Stick

72 wagon SB auto/soon to be BB Auto 4 spd

NOTN SS
72 Elky 1
72 Elky 2
72 Wagon
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 04, 9:13 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Ther 255 or 265DEH look like nice 'quiet' alternatives. 265 will have a bit of lope to it.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 31st, 04, 10:58 PM
Senior Tech Team

Cams fine, I would get a smaller carb. A 450 Holley or a Q-jet that you don't have the sec. open too soon.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 04, 1:50 PM
Tech Team

I have Never agreed with anyone more Flywheel,that red lube in JUNK. 95% of it goes straight to the bottom of your oil pan 30 min after you put in your cam. I dont care what anyone says, the stuff is crap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.