What to build? 383ci. ~vs~ 406ci. - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 5:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

What to build? 383ci. ~vs~ 406ci.

I posted this up on the Camaro board & figured I should probably get an opinion from you folks also.

I've been slowly collecting parts to build a 406.

So far I have a 509 block (that still needs to be machined), a Scat cast steel 6" rod-internal balance crank, a set of 6" Lunati rods, set of aluminum Pro Topline 200cc angle plug heads with 64cc chambers, set of 1.6 Comp roller rocker arms & a few other small pieces like ARP stud kits, etc.

Last night I ran across a good deal on a Scat cast steel 6" rod-internal balance crank for a 383. It's one of their lightened cranks.

So now I'm trying to decide wether to build a 406 with a factory 2 bolt main block & all the potential problems that may or may not occur with a factory block. Or play it safe & build a 383 with a 4 bolt main & what is probably a more stable block.

I'm a big believer in the more displacement theory but I don't want to put the time & money into what may be a short lived block.

Intended usage, is a fun street car ('78 Malibu) that must be well mannered & run on pump gas. Low maintenance is a high priority.

Now here's a curve ball... Lately I've been thinking about turbo's.

So... What do you guys think? I would really like to hear from someone who has built, thrashed on & possibly destroyed both.

Thanks.
~JM~

Last edited by ~JM~; Aug 8th, 07 at 9:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 5:37 PM
Senior Tech Team
Zach

Re: What to build? 383ci. ~vs~ 406ci.

I say go with the 406. What problems with a factory block are you referring to? From my understanding the 509 castings are the toughest of the 400s.

Chevelle Page

-Sb 408, 10:1, AFR 195/65cc Eliminators, Voodoo 276.
-Turbo 400, 2500 Hughes, 12 bolt, 3.55s.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 5:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Another for the 406..

Rigt side
Left side
Front1
Front2

Sold May 09

540 BIG BLOCK
10.10 @ 130 ON MOTOR
9.47 @139 ON 175 HIT

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 5:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

I've had both. A 383 with 10.5-1 comp. and a 280* cam in a 73 nova. Car ran very well. Street manners were OK. Best 1/4 was a 12.72. Later I had a 74 nova with a 406, 9-1 comp. 273* (I think) cam. Drove the car all the time. Even on 100+ mile trips. Very well mannered, Best 1/4 was 12.18. The 73 was an auto with 3.08 gears and the 74 was a 4-speed with 3.42's I regularly pounded on both these cars. Shifted the 383 at about 7800 and the 406 at about 7500. The only issue I ever had with either was caused by me. The 406 had so much low end, I got into the habit of not downshifting when I made turns. I would lug the engine down to 700 to 800RPM then just hit the gas. This caused it to wear out two bearings. There was no damage to the block or crank. I replaced the bearings, Put about another 5-6K on the car then sold it.
I think there are pro's and con's with either. But the bottom line is, Like you said your self. There's no replacement for displacement.

SCOTT
TC #3238
ACES #7490
My Site
The Rebuild

To secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government
The Declaration of Independence
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 5:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ray

The 406cid combo is extremely close to my planned engine build with the 2-bolt 509 block. The combo will live fine in the GM block but adding a turbo will be questionable. If you're really leaning towards the turbo idea, I don't see any reason to chance the 400 block. The 4-bolt 350 block will likely live longer at higher hp levels. The only replacement for displacement is power adders If you are unsure of the turbo idea, build the 406.

Ray
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 6:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Team Camaro

Both can be built for about the same money, both can be stock - wild.

I would go with either and set the other to the side or sell it to re-coup some $$$

Same parts,compression,ect.,ect., the 400 sould be ??? .1-.2 faster in the 1/4 ??? maybe.

68 Camaro~406ci
RedЯum <-Pics
11.304 @ 119.05 ~1320' NEW (3/19/11)
http://youtu.be/48OfD_C4JWU <-11.36 Vid.
Some days all you can do is just smile
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 6:18 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ken

406. Make REAL sure the person doing the machine work knows what he is doing. Failure of 400 blocks has more to do preparation than any structural flaws. Must be plate honed properly. Must be balanced properly. Must be line honed properly. Don't take to the guy on the corner just because he is close. Shop around and find someone with a good reputation. Like you said, you don't want to do it over. If in doubt, send it to one of the guys that invest their time in this site. JMHO. You can read about satisfied customers on this site. You can also read horror stories about Bill Mitchell and his ilk. Go where the satisfied people are.

What size chambers in your heads?

If you are serious about the turbos, I'd go with a 350 block. Better gasket grip between the bores. Any size engine will make any amount of power with a turbo. A 1000 hp 350 is not unusual. When you get to those power ranges, any detonation can cause gasket problems.

kirkwoodken
406 SB, Original Bill Thomas '63 Rochester FI
AFR 210, Lunati 501C2LUN, 255/263@.050", .628"
10:1, TH400, 3.31's, 4400 SS

"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Nothing is impossible; if you don't know what you're talking about."
Kirkwoodken

Last edited by kirkwoodken; Aug 8th, 07 at 6:32 PM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 6:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
wannabe

Jay Campbell
Campbell Competition Motorsports
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 6:58 PM
Tech Team
Darrin

Are there steam jackets that are to be drilled as well ?406 is the way to go and the combos for that are endless !Good luck

68 CHEVELLE SS
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 8:46 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chris

There is no substitute for cubic inches- 406.

I never make mistakes, but on occasion I present myself with an opportunity to get very creative.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 9:12 PM
Tech Team
Jim

I vote 406. I've had many over the years, and I believe the a 400 2-bolt splayed block is one of the best platforms for all around performance. That being said, all things being equal, the difference between a properly built 406 and 383 is about one tenth in the quarter. I just happen to error on the side of cubes based on personal preference.

Jim
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 9:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I guess I should've known what to expect from a bunch of big block Chevelle lovers.

The heads that I have are small chamber, 64cc I believe.

Piston selection & price favors the 383. Not as much available for a 6" rod 400. I'd like to keep the compression around 9.5 or 10 to 1 for a naturally aspirated engine.

The turbo is an after thought. I just happened to meet a few turbo guys & I'm real impressed with what they are doing. I've also been trying to learn more about the LS series engines for later on down the road.

Anybody know of a trust worthy machine shop in the Portland, Oregon area?

Thanks
~JM~
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 07, 9:51 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ken

Don't know how I missed your chamber size the first time around. Small chambers and dished pistons make a nice setup. That being said, I still like flat tops that allow a large quench area for maximum turbulance. Keep your quench close, .035-.040" which ever way you go. If you go with hypereutectics, it can be even closer. The problem with most pistons is their short compression heights, leading to taking a lot off the deck surface to get good quench.

With aluminum heads, you should have no trouble with 10:1.

kirkwoodken
406 SB, Original Bill Thomas '63 Rochester FI
AFR 210, Lunati 501C2LUN, 255/263@.050", .628"
10:1, TH400, 3.31's, 4400 SS

"Life is too short to not run a solid roller cam."
"Nothing is impossible; if you don't know what you're talking about."
Kirkwoodken
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 07, 12:04 AM
Senior Tech Team

Not exactly sure what you were planning to spend on pistons or where you were looking, but check out SRP pistons. For example, have a look at part number 259620. Its a -21cc dish for a 6 inch rod 400 bored .030 over.

With a 64 cc head and around .040 quench give or take a little(which Id shoot for right around .040 as close as you can)....this piston makes roughly 9.9:1 compression, which puts you right around where you say youd like to be naturally aspirated. Depending on all the fine details and the actual piston/overbore, it can vary a little, which may equate to a hair more or less comp....but for the most part......this piston gets you right in that range youd like.

There are others out there as well.

Oh yeah, I too would use the 406. The 509 block is a great starting point. And yeah, the two bolt block is the preferred starting point for a 400 block. A good 509, 2 bolt block splayed for 4 bolts is definitely preferred over factory 4 bolts.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 07, 12:13 AM
Senior Tech Team

One last thought....if you did go the turbo route....Id still start with the 400 block DEPENDING on the power level you build for. Obviously if your thinking about some 1200 horsepower, higher rpm thumper it might be a half descent idear to start taking a look at aftermarekt blocks.....but a mild build with a mild amount of boost from a turbo that still makes good power is doable.

Id start with the larger bore 400 block(good breathing with the large bore), 3.48 crank(to make around 377 inches).....and the shorter stroke leaves even more room for a dish(meaning you can knock the comp down further to allow for boost). Some of the "shelf" pistons advertised for this sorta configuration can get you arond 8.75:1 with a -26cc dish and your 64 cc heads. And Im sure if you work with them....you can nock it down a little more without going to a larger chamber.....so that leaves some room for some boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Old Thread Warning
This Thread is more than 3547 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
If you still feel it is necessary to make a new reply, you can still do so though.