Discussion: advertised duration vs @.050 duration - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 1:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

hi guys

is it me or have there been lot of cam posts lately? i thought this post would benefit me and others, so here we are.

i have a pretty good knowledge of camshaft theory and specs but i have always shied away from concentrating on the @.050 duration specs. i notice that some magazines/catalogs just publish the @.050 numbers and lift. i also notice that some people go around quoting @.050 numbers off the top of their head like its second nature to them.

i do know about lobe intensity, for example the way i understand it you could have two cams, both with the same advertised duration. the cam with more @.050 duration has more lobe intensity......correct????

so other than that are there any other benefits/reasons to concentrate on the @.050 spec ?????

Brandon

1966 SS396 Chevelle
427 11:1 rect.heads
4 speed 3.90 posi
1967 Chevy Biscayne 2 dr.
350 th-350
3.55 posi

videos

RatONaStick at idle

RatONaStick on the road

RatONaStick at the track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 1:56 PM
Tech Team

You are correct about the lobe intesity.

The problem with advirtised duration is standardization. Comp rates there cams at .006", GM at .001", Crane at .0045", etc. Everybody is different.
Take my Comp Cams 292 camshaft. It's 292* @ .006, but here it is on everybody else's ratings:
GM: 318*
Crane: 298*

So you can see, there is a big difference between .001 ratings and .006. But GM, Crane, and Comp will all agree that this cam is a 244* @ .050. It just sets a level playing field.

When selecting a cam, I take into account lobe intensity and lift when making my choice, but mainly focus on duration at .050" and LDA.

Matt Jones
Mech Engineer, Art Morrison Ent.
1969 Base Camaro
LS1, C5 IFS, 14" 6-Piston/13" 4-Piston Wilwoods
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 1:59 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
John

That's good to know, thank you

John Austin
Katy, Texas
'70 SS454 Chevelle "clone" project
My combo:496 BBC (454 +.060), Muncie 4 spd, Centerforce dual fric clutch, "781" heads 2.19/1.88, 12-bolt 3.73 Eaton posi, Scat forged rot assm (21cc Wiseco slugs for 10.4:1 CR), Lunati Voodoo billet 60213 hyd roller, Lunati hyd roller lifters, Scorpion 1.7 #SCP1014 roller rockers, Edelbrock Performer RPM, Holly 850 Dbl Pmpr (1" spa), Carter 172 GPH mech fuel pump, MSD R2R dist. #8360, O'reilly Master Pro coil, Weiand high volume mech water pump, 772 stock 7 blade fan, Hayden clutch, fan shroud & Hi-flow 160 deg T-stat, Doug's 2" x 3 1/2" headers
2006 Ford F-250 crew cab 4x4
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2012 Honda Accord V6 EX-L
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 2:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Matt great info thanks, but it just opens more questions for me.

i use the dcr program alot, thanks Pat! the dcr program asks for the advertised duration to figure the dcr. but it seems to me there could be a problem getting the correct dcr due to the different specs the manufacturers rate their cams at.

for example i have a comp 305h magnum in the 427. comp rates their cams at .006 . but at .001 this cam would be something like 331 advertised ?????

is this a problem? is there a way around this? i mean the difference between 331 advertised and 305 could effect the dcr quite a bit.

Brandon

1966 SS396 Chevelle
4 speed 3.90 posi
350 th-350
3.55 posi

videos

RatONaStick at idle

RatONaStick on the road

RatONaStick at the track
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 2:47 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Always thought that seat, .050, and .200 durations would give a better picture. With the three measuremnts, ( even if you threw seat away since they arent standardized), the durations at .050 and .200 would at least allow you to compare the cam's flank, the slope of the cliff the lifter has to rise on.

I realize its only one dimension, and doesn't give you all the facts, but using .200 durations would give us a much better idea of what the cam was about, I mean short of a system of simulatneous equations to describe 4 or 5 planes!

Would allow you to compare .050 and .200 duration to really get a sense of how agressive a cam it is.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 3:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Gene
when you get time could you explain further?

also when figuring dcr is there anything i/we can do to take in account the different measurements that the manufacturers take their specs at?

Brandon

1966 SS396 Chevelle
4 speed 3.90 posi
350 th-350
3.55 posi

videos

RatONaStick at idle

RatONaStick on the road

RatONaStick at the track
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 4:26 PM
Tech Team

General rule of thumb, on typical street hydraulic cam, subtract 6* from cranes advertised numbers to get a comparable seat timing number as a comp cam. I use comp cams as my standard when figuring dcr's because I have used a lot more of their cams than anybody elses, and have a better idea how they act.

'86 chevy 3/4 ton...9.4-1 355, vortec heads, vortec performer intake, 600 edelbrock, xe268, headers, duals w/turbo mufflers, BTO 700R4, 3.23 gears

'77 nova, 388, 200cc pro-toplines, holley 300-36, 750 edelbrock, comp 294s, 10" ATI, 3.73's

'83 ford F-150 XLT...351w, C-6 and 3.55's.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 5:04 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thanks for the clarification Gene.

Quote:
I use comp cams as my standard when figuring dcr's because I have used a lot more of their cams than anybody elses, and have a better idea how they act.
travis

i can understand that, but it seems to me the dcr you came up with would be off wouldnt it? since a comp cam is measured at .006 the cam is actually larger than the advertised spec they give. but the engine doesnt care where the cam is measured, it sees the whole cam.

why would a cam manufacturer do this? to make their cams look like they have more lobe intensity than they actually do?

thanks

Brandon

1966 SS396 Chevelle
4 speed 3.90 posi
350 th-350
3.55 posi

videos

RatONaStick at idle

RatONaStick on the road

RatONaStick at the track
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 6:04 PM
Senior Tech Team

SAE call for the cam's seat timing to be measured at .004" tappet lift. This is the allowance for valvetrain compressibility. At .004" the valve should be just starting to come off the seat. Measuring at .006" means the cam is longer by what ever .002" of lift works out to. Chevy's .001" lift is totally unrealistic since the valve is still on the seat.

Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
Sold 67 El Camino, Bracket car (7.33, 93.60, 1.61 60', 1/8) (1.53 60', 7.26 660', 11.50, 115.08, 1/4 mile) 355 powered
Pat's Page (Dynamic CR Calculator, car specs)
Shop equip for sale
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 6:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Pat

that explains it, thanks. i believe ive seen you mention this before but i never put two and two together. i also wasnt even thinking about the seat area of the lobe.

thanks to all who replied.

Brandon

1966 SS396 Chevelle
4 speed 3.90 posi
350 th-350
3.55 posi

videos

RatONaStick at idle

RatONaStick on the road

RatONaStick at the track
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 10:18 PM
Tech Team

Your right, the numbers would be slightly lower than cranes with a similar .050 cam. However, I know for a fact that with vortec heads and a xe268, my dcr using comps .006 timing numbers comes out at 7.88. It runs fine on 89 octane, and 87 octane in a pinch. A 7.88dcr reading with a crane cam would not be the same using cranes seat to seat timing numbers. Make sense? Now if I wanted to swap cams, and want to use a crane cam, I can adjust the crane seat timing numbers to get a dcr reading that would be comparable to my comps reading, and would have a very good idea if it would also run on 89 octane or not.

'86 chevy 3/4 ton...9.4-1 355, vortec heads, vortec performer intake, 600 edelbrock, xe268, headers, duals w/turbo mufflers, BTO 700R4, 3.23 gears

'77 nova, 388, 200cc pro-toplines, holley 300-36, 750 edelbrock, comp 294s, 10" ATI, 3.73's

'83 ford F-150 XLT...351w, C-6 and 3.55's.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 10:38 PM
In Memory of Harold

Ahhhh---A subject worthy of a chapter in my up-coming book.

Pat,
Thanks for the SAE .004" explanation. IRREGARDLESS of where a cam manufacturer rates his hydraulic cams, the SAE has very good scientific proof that .004" is the correct rating point for hydraulic cams. Don't throw up about Rhoades lifters, they are a special case.

You should always use SEAT timing when working the DCR formulas, or any 'Desktop-Dyno'-style computer simulation programs. When I get through here, I hope no one thinks that the .050" number is the one to use. You can even have cams with the same .050" duration number, but DIFFERENT timings at .050", and an engine will see them as 2 different cams.
I hope everyone will not think that I skip around too much, but here goes.....
We'll start with the intake opening, although the exhaust actually opens first. I suppose you've got to have charge in the cylinder in order to have something to exhaust out....
An intake opening point in itself does not tell what duration or LSA/ICL a cam is on. Cams range from Symmetrical to various degrees of UnSymmetrical-ness. Each of these various cams, all of the same overall seat duration, will be seen by the engine as different cams. I have even said that the most important degree in your cam is the one BEFORE the intake valve opens. If we could get an instantaneous reading of the exhaust gas volume and pressure right before the intake valve opens, we could predict how the cylinder would fill. Identical opening points, but different exhaust gas volume and pressure(REVERSION) will cause different rates of intake filling. When the intake valve starts off the seat, this higher-pressure exhaust gas flows partially into the intake runner. What keeps it from going too far is that the piston is slowing down for TDC, and pushing less and less on the exhaust gases. In fact, we can use where the intake valve opened as a relative guide to the amount of reversion.
Now what about the .050" number?
First off, a good part of the .050" duration is on the WRONG side of TDC. The piston isn't sucking charge in while it is moving upwards toward TDC, it is PUSHING stuff OUT of the cylinder. Airflow into the cylinder does not start in a N/A engine until after TDC, and AFTER the reversion that had entered before TDC has been cleaned out of the runner.
The SOONER airflow starts into the cylinder, the higher the port velocity(the Rate of Filling the Cylinder), and the longer inertia ram will continue to fill the cylinder after BDC.
To keep this post relatively short, I won't go into the effects of high-lift area.
When the intake valve closes, the port velocity governs how the cylinder is still filling, even 60 to 90 degrees ABDC. Low port-velocity, later closing means less cylinder pressure and less torque. High port-velocity will use late intake closing to pack even more charge in, and delivery high cylinder pressures.
I will close this with a small example that I have used many times in the past---my 288R lobe.
Imagine a symmetrical 288R on a 102 ICL---It opens at 42 BTDC and closes at 66 ABDC.
My April 1980 288R on a 102 ICL opens at 39 BTDC and closes at 69 ABDC.
This cam has 3 less reversion in the intake runner, so it starts airflow earlier(a little more than 3, because of the way the back=pressure drops). This gives it a higher velocity in the runner, and a higher rate of cylinder-filling.
Now look at the closing points. The symmetrical cam, with a lower port-velocity and rate of cylinder filling, shuts the intake valve EARLIER, allowing LESS charge in the cylinder.
My 288R Unsymmetrical cam shuts the intake valve 3 later, with a higher port-velocity and a higher rate of cylinder filling. More charge in the cylinder, higher cylinder pressure, more torque.
Engines see the seat opening and closing points, and the .200" duration numbers, as a close guess as to the cam. They actually see the entire valve lift curve as the cam, not a number like .050". This number is for our convience, to have a commonly-understood point to talk about cams. Engines don't know what .050" durations are.
It's worked this way for almost 24 years now.
If you have other questions, just ask. I may have to answer some tomorrow....

UDHarold

UDHarold

Harold Brookshire
662-562-4933
brookshire@panola.com
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 04, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Harold thanks for the reply, excellent info.

thanks to everyone who replied, great info from all posters.

[img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Brandon

1966 SS396 Chevelle
4 speed 3.90 posi
350 th-350
3.55 posi

videos

RatONaStick at idle

RatONaStick on the road

RatONaStick at the track
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 04, 1:18 AM
Senior Tech Team

Harold, why don't you see if you can get Lunati to spec their adv dur at .004" lift (I don't know what they use right now) and give the seat timings rather than .050". As you have said, .050" valve timing is meaningless.

Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
Sold 67 El Camino, Bracket car (7.33, 93.60, 1.61 60', 1/8) (1.53 60', 7.26 660', 11.50, 115.08, 1/4 mile) 355 powered
Pat's Page (Dynamic CR Calculator, car specs)
Shop equip for sale
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 04, 6:07 AM
Senior Tech Team

First off, a good part of the .050" duration is on the WRONG side of TDC. The piston isn't sucking charge in while it is moving upwards toward TDC, it is PUSHING stuff OUT of the cylinder. Airflow into the cylinder does not start in a N/A engine until after TDC, and AFTER the reversion that had entered before TDC has been cleaned out of the runner.

How much effect does the scavenging pulse have on this effect? Can the cylinder pressure be negative before TDC?

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.