1" carb spacer...what does it do? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

What does the 1" carb spacer under my holley 750 DP on top of a Edelbrock victor JR. accomplish?

It is on a Moderately built 350 (sorry I don't have specifics) that is having problems running rich and loading up at low RPMs.

I understand that I could be timing and or carb adjust but had read something that tunnel rams(obviously much taller) cause problems at low rpms with too much gas too soon. I don't race but I do like power..like all of us do.

In other words what does the spacer do and should I take it out?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech Team

what plug and heat range?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm sorry I don't know. It has the accel plugs that I bought it with.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 1:13 PM
Senior Tech Team

those things are junk, toss them and buy Autolite plugs in a #3 heat range.
Tell me the reach and seat of your plugs, and i'll make a recommendation.

Those junk plugs are one of the reasons that the engine is loading up. My brother had a set of those in the engine i built for him, and it would gas foul them out very quickly (mild engine too). ***** canned them and switched to an AP-25, and the engine runs clean.

If that doesnt clear up the problem, then you're just wayyyy rich at idle. I like them to be rich at idle, but not wayyyy rich.

Does your carb have 2 corner idle? If so, after putting the new plugs in, warm it up then turn the driver side idle screw in until the engine starts to surge, then back it out 3/4 of a turn.

Set the other side to the same spot, then do it again, and again reset the other side. Should be at 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 turns out depending on how mild or wild this motor really is.

BTW, very nice looking car, i've checked out your pictures and the car is very nice and clean looking.
One suggestion of mine is to change your coil mounting to the upright position.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 1:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 1:45 PM
Tech Team
Mike

From my personal experience the Victor Jr. is not "street friendly" manifold. I wouldn't run one unless I had a very aggressive cam, low gears, high stall, and high compression. I used one on my daily driver for 10+ years and it always ran slightly rich, but it was a good manifold for high rpms. Another suggestion is to get your timing dialed in and make sure your distributor is curved to match you setup. Yet another suggestion is just to take out the spacer and see how your car performs.

Mike
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 1:51 PM
Senior Tech Team

no problem, let me know how it works out.

Let me know the plug construction and i'll make a plug recommendation.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 1:53 PM
Tech Team
Mike

oops
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 1:53 PM
Senior Tech Team
Enrique

Send a message via AIM to Slowpoke70 Send a message via Yahoo to Slowpoke70
Brian, do you happen to know of any alternatives to Accel's Shorty "Header" plugs? I really did like my ACDelco plugs better, but getting the #6 plug was a PITA with the standard length plugs and my Hooker headers.

Even Dynomax includes a little paper with their new headers that says to use an Accel Shorty in the #6.

1970 Malibu
355/TH350/3.36
Isky z25/Sportsman2/300-36/Summit Headers
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 1:58 PM
Senior Tech Team

Yes, what makes those plugs "shorty" is the lack of a resistor.
An Autolite "racing" plug, earns its "racing" status by removing the resistor and cutting back the electrode.

An autolite "racing" plug is the same lenght as an accel shorty.

I have the same clearance problem, and currently run an AR-135 plug, however i'm going back to an AR-13 plug, which i feel has been more successful in my car.

The autolite plugs are a much better plug, if you chose a racing plug, get one in a heat range that will be streetable.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 3:26 PM
Tech Team

Carb spacers add plenum volume to manifold. Generally they decrease power below torque peak and add power above peak torque. I would spacer only for all out hp in racing application. And the only way to tell if they help each application is to track/dyno test on motor.

73'Camaro 498ci BBC. Best ET 10.11-9/23/07. http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...4/IMG_0556.jpg
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 6:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

So if I understand you correctly Bob I should remove the spacer for street driving and if I want more low end power. Am I understanding you right?

Thanks
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 6:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by Grape Ape:
So if I understand you correctly Bob I should remove the spacer for street driving and if I want more low end power. Am I understanding you right?

Thanks
Engines don't read the same magazines some of us do soooo,,,
To repeat part what Bob said, the only way to know if a spacer will work is to try it under controlled conditions.
From the way you describe your combo, I would say it would like an RPM or RPM air gap intake.
The dual plane will also make the engine think the carb is smaller which is probably a good thing in your case.
If nothing else, try a four hole spacer & no spacer but you will need to do it at the track or on a dyno.
I have seen everything from a loss to about 20HP gains in spacers in different applications.
You are increasing plenum volume & you are also changing the distance to the carb which changes the signal it sees from the cylinder which changes how the engine reacts to the cam,,, the list goes on

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT
+4axis CNC block machining+
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 7:36 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Motor Martyr:
those things are junk, toss them
Why?(the accel plugs)

The shorty plug is "shorter" btw

Steve
68 BISCAYNE 4060lb
468-9.4:1
1.76 60FT Drag Radials
11.69 ET@ 116.30 MPH
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 04, 8:02 PM
Senior Tech Team

i've explained my experience with those plugs in my other posts.
Again, here's my experience with those plugs in a mild small block, they were gas fouled after firing the new motor, chucked them and put in a set of AP-25 spark plugs, which are still clean.

BTW, the shorty plug is the same length as an autolite racing plug, i've matched them up, if not then they are close enough.

You wont find those in any real race engines, infact Bruce Allen's pro stock features autolite racing plugs in a #3 heat range with a non-extended tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.