HP versus weight? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 5:53 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Patrick

HP versus weight?

Was wondering if there is any formula out there that can calculate (or come close) to figuring out weight reduction as it relates to horsepower. Ie, if I were to take 50 or 100lbs of weight off my car, about how much more hp would the car "seem" like it has? Or maybe a better way of asking is this: Your car weighing 3200 lbs ets at exactly 12.00 secs in the 1/4 mile. Now if that same car, only this time weighing 100 lbs more (3300 lbs)(everything else being equal but the weight) ets at exactly 12.00 secs, how much extra horsepower would you need to make the heavier car et the same as the first? Does lets say an extra 100 lbs make a 400 hp motor perform like maybe a 380 hp motor?

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 6:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Re: HP versus weight?

Try here. http://www.slowgt.com/Calc1.htm

SCOTT
TC #3238
ACES #7490
My Site
The Rebuild

To secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government
The Declaration of Independence
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 7:07 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

in the magazines, they used to say that 100 pounds is worth a tenth in the 1/4.
of course, 100 pounds is a lot less % weight loss on a 4000 pound car than it is on a 3000 pound car, so will probably be worth a little less at the track. but, either way, 100 pounds is 100 pounds..

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 7:41 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to 540 RAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball8994 View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I found the equation there for ET based on weight and hp, to be quite optomistic. In other words, it shows cars being a good bit quicker than they are in the real world.

A couple of years ago, I generated an equation based on 15 to 20 real world sportsman gasoline drag cars. My equation is "the cube root of (weight divided by hp), then all that multiplied by 6.1", which will give you the approximate best ET. Of course it is impossible to be absolutely exact for a specific car, but it does work out to be a fairly close approximation for reference and planning.

If you use that equation, it shows that a 400hp, 3200 lb car should be able to run about 12.2 in the quarter. If the car's weight is reduced to 3100 lbs, the ET should be 12.07, or a .13 second improvement.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 8:09 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 RAT View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I found the equation there for ET based on weight and hp, to be quite optomistic. In other words, it shows cars being a good bit quicker than they are in the real world.

A couple of years ago, I generated an equation based on 15 to 20 real world sportsman gasoline drag cars. My equation is "the cube root of (weight divided by hp), then all that multiplied by 6.1", which will give you the approximate best ET. Of course it is impossible to be absolutely exact for a specific car, but it does work out to be a fairly close approximation for reference and planning.

If you use that equation, it shows that a 400hp, 3200 lb car should be able to run about 12.2 in the quarter. If the car's weight is reduced to 3100 lbs, the ET should be 12.07, or a .13 second improvement.
I agree its a little optomistic. I think its based on a "perfect" sealevel run.
The interesting thing is, As in "real world" The faster the car, The less gain you see from the 100# loss.

SCOTT
TC #3238
ACES #7490
My Site
The Rebuild

To secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government
The Declaration of Independence
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 8:16 PM
Banned
Paul

A mag did an article years ago called "Caddy Hack" where they took a DeVille and chop sawed it to see just what loss of weight would show up like on the strip!!

I think they cut on the poor old Cad from 5500+ pounds down to 2800 or so pounds (??) and when I mean cut, chop saw they CUT!!

I wanna say from 17.+ seconds down to 13.+ seconds in the quarter!!

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 8:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Clueless TnTr

Send a message via AIM to JOHN WILSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 RAT View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I found the equation there for ET based on weight and hp, to be quite optomistic.
That depends on the car and how it's setup. The mph is right on for my car and the et is actually ~.2 soft.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old May 11th, 07, 11:45 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I don't think its exactly 100 # to 0.1 second. If I remember right is something like to the 1/3 power square root. Here is what I get for going from 3200, to 3100 to 3000#

11.65 - change of 0.12 per 100#

11.52 - change of 0.13 per additional 100#

http://www.virtualengine2000.com/Calculator.htm

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old May 12th, 07, 1:09 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
A mag did an article years ago called "Caddy Hack" where they took a DeVille and chop sawed it to see just what loss of weight would show up like on the strip!!

I think they cut on the poor old Cad from 5500+ pounds down to 2800 or so pounds (??) and when I mean cut, chop saw they CUT!!

I wanna say from 17.+ seconds down to 13.+ seconds in the quarter!!

pdq67
that was Hot Rod, back in the late 80's.
they started off with a 500 powered luxu cruiser, and ended up with a 500 powered frame with a seat and a steering wheel.
i think they were gonna do it again a couple of years ago, but no track wanted the liability..

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old May 12th, 07, 1:11 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

and who can forget the Chevette that Magnante built with a bone stock junkyard Caddie 500/TH400 crammed into it..
i'm thinking it went into the 11's.

-Hank Hill
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old May 12th, 07, 8:08 AM
Senior Tech Team

Every combination is gonna be different. In my Malibu, I have a 100 lb ballast bar in the rear bumper. I've taken it in and out several times and not seen any difference in ET.

This past winter I did aftermarket disc brakes, lighter front wheels/tires and a smaller fuel cell all of which took 100 lbs off the car with over half of that being unsprung and rotating weight. I saw zero difference on the ET slip.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old May 12th, 07, 8:14 AM
Senior Tech Team

I think, now this is just my opinion but it seems the faster my car has gone, the theories don't hold. Maybe in the average street car 100 lbs is a tenth, but in my car now 100 won't get me a tenth.

Ray

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=DSC01615.jpg
Best pass so far 9.034 at 148.10, 1.242 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.