BBC vs. SBC : weight vs. power???? - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 7:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
MIKE

Exclamation BBC vs. SBC : weight vs. power????

That endless battle SB vs. BB.
The age old saying "there is no replacement for displacement". Well I am a firm believer in that, but when you add 200 pounds of weight for 54 cubic inches of engine on the street when is it worth it. We all know that Big Blocks make more torque, but again how much more makes the extra weight worth it. I have a 406 that i was building for my everyday truck, but I also have a BBC 427 that i was saving for my camaro (yes i know it is a chevelle site. and i am trying to get one of those too). IS IT TIME TO SAY SCREW IT. Should I put it in the truck I want mid to high 12s and maybe a little bit of the blue bottle. All opinions are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 7:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
MIKE

Re: BBC vs. SBC : weight vs. power????

to add a little more......

will some people that drive Big Blocks put your opinions in
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 7:52 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Ken

I think our own John Wilson and Todd Giesler should square off to settle this debate once and for all Two stout BBC and SBC combos, similar engine displacement and vehicle weight My junk will hardly fall out of a tree compared to these guys
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 8:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
MIKE

I would like to hear how you got a 396 in to the 10's
also how much power can you make with 049 ovals
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 8:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Mike. I was always the "small blocks rule" guy. I've had some nasty street SB's in my day.
The first time I test drove my velle (mild 439, untouched 049 heads, 8.5-1 .560/292* solid cam) I became a BB believer.
I can say from experience, "You can't beat a BB. Years ago I had a fairly radical (for a street motor) 406 in a 3200# nova. Its best time was a 11.92@114. The first time I took the velle (3880#) down the track, It went 11.48@116 soft launching. Its gone a best of 11.24@121.
Its been discussed on here before. All things equal, 400sb-v-402bb, The 402 will make more power.

SCOTT
TC #3238
ACES #7490
My Site
The Rebuild

To secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government
The Declaration of Independence
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 8:07 PM
Senior Tech Team

I have had two 396 big blocks and currently run a 496 stroker. To be totally honest, I like small blocks better. I had a 350 rebuilt with stock heads and installed a 327cu/ 350hp cam, and I could rev that thing to 7k no problem. It was nothing special at all! I like RPM's!
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 8:11 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbones2002 View Post
I have had two 396 big blocks and currently run a 496 stroker. To be totally honest, I like small blocks better. I had a 350 rebuilt with stock heads and installed a 327cu/ 350hp cam, and I could rev that thing to 7k no problem. It was nothing special at all! I like RPM's!
I like RPM's also. I shift my 439 at 6800 and have a 7200 ship in it.

SCOTT
TC #3238
ACES #7490
My Site
The Rebuild

To secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 8:11 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball8994 View Post
Mike. I was always the "small blocks rule" guy. I've had some nasty street SB's in my day.
The first time I test drove my velle (mild 439, untouched 049 heads, 8.5-1 .560/292* solid cam) I became a BB believer.
I can say from experience, "You can't beat a BB. Years ago I had a fairly radical (for a street motor) 406 in a 3200# nova. Its best time was a 11.92@114. The first time I took the velle (3880#) down the track, It went 11.48@116 soft launching. Its gone a best of 11.24@121.
Its been discussed on here before. All things equal, 400sb-v-402bb, The 402 will make more power.
I am playing both sides of this fence as I have had a few big blocks and over 600 cubes - but i am currently building the ultimate rat killer.

The SBC i am building will have about 428 cubes, heads that flow 440cfm, aluminum block, super light, it could go toe to toe with big blocks 100cubes bigger in the horsepower department naturally aspirated and i expect it to be more reliable (less rotating weight, shorter stroke) than my big block with turbocharger(s).
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 8:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 283 View Post
I am playing both sides of this fence as I have had a few big blocks and over 600 cubes - but i am currently building the ultimate rat killer.

The SBC i am building will have about 428 cubes, heads that flow 440cfm, aluminum block, super light, it could go toe to toe with big blocks 100cubes bigger in the horsepower department naturally aspirated and i expect it to be more reliable (less rotating weight, shorter stroke) than my big block with turbocharger(s).
What stroke are you running to get 428ci? My 439 has a 3.76" stroke. (454 + .060/ 427 crank)
I agree that you can build a killer high horse SB. But I still think (all things equal) a SB can't match a BB's torque.

SCOTT
TC #3238
ACES #7490
My Site
The Rebuild

post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 8:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
MIKE

this will be my first bb experience and i am looking forward to it
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 8:21 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

What year is the Camaro? I'm guessing '81 from your screen name, in that case put the 406 in it and the 427 in the truck. If it's a first gen., then put the 427 in the Camaro, I always thought that was an awesome combo, from the whole Yenko thing I guess.

I have a big block, so I say BB all the way. A 427 with some juice should get mid 12's no problem. On the street how much time do you really spend above even 5000 rpm, very little. Most of that time is between 2000 and 4000 rpm, that is where a big block shows it's stuff.
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 8:23 PM
Tech Team
Corey

Just add a couple hair dryers to the SB, problem solved, and you get awesome streetability

Corey

67 LS with Twins
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 8:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
MIKE

yea my camaro is 81' i was thinking about it but i dont think i need to build the camaro if my daily driving truck is faster??? or do I ........ i think put a big block in the both of them YEEAAAAH!!! sell all but one of my sb400 (2 in shop one at home)
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 8:28 PM
Tech Team
Steve

Garage

I've got a 460 BB in my El Camino and a 355 SB in my Camaro. The Camaro is faster but the El Camino isn't that far behind plus it is not nearly as radical. My SB Camaro has surprised quite a few BB owners. The new 434 SB should shock the hell out of em!

I debated on building a 555 BB or a 434 SB for a while and went with the SB because people expect BB's to be faster.

'69 Camaro - 427 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Cola crank, Lunati 6" Pro Mod rods, JE pistons (13.8:1), Hellfire rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel rockers, Jesel belt drive, 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, 1050 carb, Stef's #1705R pan, NOS big shot, Lemons 2" primary 3-1/2" collector, Coan 9" converter
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 07, 8:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
MIKE

you know i thought about that when i ran across shortie headers with turbo flanges on them. i was thinking about looking in to that some more. i guess by having the feaver i cannot just plan a simple build. it always grows into a monster beyond reality and pocket book
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.