Aluminum heads/ coolant - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 9:03 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Green Weenie

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob West
Aluminum heads/ coolant

What do you guys use for coolant with alloy heads to keep corrosion in check? I might have a few more questions before I get this thing going again. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 9:09 AM
Gold Member
Gene

Re: Aluminum heads/ coolant

The pink stuff Bob, but NOT GM Dexcool.

Gene
ACES 3112/Team Chevelle Gold #62
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 10:27 AM
Senior Tech Team
wannabe

I use 50/50 regular ole anti-freeze and water. But I am open to suggestions for something better.

Jay Campbell
Campbell Competition Motorsports
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 10:30 AM
Senior Tech Team

I stumbled on this some time ago and bought one as cheap insurance.

http://www.radcapproducts.com/radcap.html
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 10:42 AM
Team Member
Joe

I filled my new motor with 50/50 premix -I am on well water with a high mineral content, have found the premix doesn't accumulate scale build up as quick. The pink or Dexcool may last a long time, but truthfully, I typically don't have a motor together long enough for this to be an issue.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech Team
Clint

50/50 mix works fine in the winter. 100% distilled water with a bottle or two of Redline WaterWetter works great in the summer.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 12:50 PM
Gold Member
Gene

BTW, use TAP water, not distilled. Distilled will actually cause more problems. Too pure. I use Prestone 5/100,000 I think its called. Pinks are made specifically for alloy engine components. Is there really a difference, I donnow.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 1:11 PM

The older green is not made for alloys. Most of the new coolants are. Read the lable and make sure it says safe for aluminum. There are several good additives made to lower temps and protect engines when there are different metals in the engine coolant loop!There are some specialized coolants you run straight that are made for industrial applications that are great. I run a product called ambitrol made by Dow chemical that is the best coolant I have ever seen. It is not available commercialy sad to say. Lowers Corvette temps abot 20 to thirty degrees. Water is the problem. The local supply may have any number of components in the mix.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 2:00 PM
Senior Tech Team
Mark

As 10secBu noted - that cap he linked to uses a sacrificial anode.

I use zinc in my radiator, but magnesium is a better alloy for this purpose, and that radiator cap uses magnesium. You can get anodes for this purpose just about anywhere that sells marine products.

Basically, the anode (zinc or magnesium) sacrifices itself so your aluminum doesn't have to. Great protection for a few bucks.

Mark

1970 SS396
Lewis Racing Engines (Wolfplace) 489:
634 HP @ 6000rpm
627 Lb-ft @ 4,000rpm

ProSystems SV1
Gear Vendors Overdrive
Moser 12 Bolt
Alumitech Radiator
Pypes Exhaust

Dyno
'70 Chevelle
'70 Chevelle 2
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 2:16 PM
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427L88
BTW, use TAP water, not distilled. Distilled will actually cause more problems. Too pure. I use Prestone 5/100,000 I think its called. Pinks are made specifically for alloy engine components. Is there really a difference, I donnow.

I thought it was RODI water that was too pure and would cause issues? Due to it lacking any and all minerals and such that it would start to pull in and or absorb them and "attack" the aluminum and other softer metals.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 2:25 PM
Senior Tech Team

I picked up some anti-freeze at WallyWorld. It's a Prestone products called extended life rated for 5 years/150k miles. It's a yellowish color and is rated for aluminum components protection. It also states it can be mixed with any color anti-freeze.

Up until now I've just used straight tap water with a can of water pump lube added. But with new alloy heads, I'm trying to do what ever within reason to minimize any corrosion.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 4:08 PM
Senior Tech Team
Troy

I like using over the counter premixed stuff from my local Honda dealership. It's an OAT formula made for all-aluminum or nearly all-aluminum applications and it also has a surfectant included (which is what waterwetter is.)

Using some RMI-25 is also a good bet; it's a mildly "soapy" cleaner, lubricant, and surfectant all in one. However, because of its cleaning properties it can "find" leaks though in older or poorly maintained cooling systems once it cleans the buildup off.

I also run magnesium sacrifical anodes in both heads and in the block plugs. You can get them from McMaster-carr. They're made for water heater use, but just cut them to length (keep them as long as possible) and thread them in.

Also, someone please show me where using distilled water is bad in a cooling system. High calcium and/or mineral content in tap water (or worse, well water) usually causes big problems with scale buildup in a short amount of time. Distilled water does away with the majority of the mineral content and keeps scale buildup at a minimum.

Using DI water (especially straight) in a cooling system is another matter entirely; DI water has a very low dissolved solids content and is rather high in conductivity which will accelerate electrolysis in your cooling system-- that's bad.

Running water only, in any circumstances, isn't the preferred method. You don't get the additional ph balancers, anti-corrosion additives, and water pump lubricants that a good coolant brings to the table.

Troy

1969 Chevelle
Old setup: Procharged/intercooled/EFI 353 SBC, TKO, ATS/SPC/Global West suspension, C6 brakes & hydroboost.
In progress: TT LS2, T56 Magnum, watts link, Wilwood Aero6/4 brakes, vaporworx, floater 9" rear, etc.

Last edited by Gokou; Mar 27th, 06 at 6:10 PM.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 4:10 PM
Gold Member
Gene

Troy, I read it here, by a chemist. Run a search. It's logged in my brain, but I cannot reference it.

Gene
Be big, be a 'builder'!
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 5:34 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dave

Most sites, including this one from Castrol, say to USE distilled. http://www.castrol.com/castrol/gener...tentId=7006991

Dave Bradley
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 06, 6:01 PM
Gold Founding Member

So, what did folks use thousands and thousands of years ago, when dinosaurs ruled the earth, and Buick and Cadillac timing covers were made from aluminum?

I thought ANY reasonably fresh antifreeze would protect aluminum. The problems only started when the antifreeze was old and worn-out.

Am I wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.