making 600 horsepower - Chevelle Tech
Performance Our High Performance area

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 06, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
wes

making 600 horsepower

Hi again Team Chevelle

I have a quick question about my Nova Race car buildup. I have a stock bore 350 and I want to make around 550-600 horsepower. Is that easily achieved for a natural aspirated buildup? It is going to be a pure race engine.

Thanks,
wes

Wes B in utah
warmed over stock black 67 SS clone
4 Speed butternut yellow 67 SS project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 1:36 AM
Tech Team

Re: making 600 horsepower

No it is not cheap or easy.....it is not easy to do with a BBC either. It is possible with a sbc..heck nascar makes 750hp.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 2:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Chevelleguy
Hi again Team Chevelle

I have a quick question about my Nova Race car buildup. I have a stock bore 350 and I want to make around 550-600 horsepower. Is that easily achieved for a natural aspirated buildup? It is going to be a pure race engine.

Thanks,
wes
=
Well,,, anything is possible,,,
I have a 332" small block that makes 670+HP
It is a pure race engine too & would only cost about $40,000 or so to duplicate,,,

Kinda depends on what you have in mind,,,

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT
+4axis CNC block machining+
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 2:35 AM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to 6T7Chvlle

thats alot of power for a small block
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 3:28 AM
Senior Tech Team
Ray

You could stroke/bore it to a 383 and stuff it with 11:1 pistons and use a cam long enough to get the dynamic CR low enough to run pump gas. The cam would need to have around 310 degrees duration and being a solid roller would help. You could run it on the street but you wouldn't pull any vacuum so power accessories would be out the question without other means of operating them such as a vacuum motor and canister.

Ray
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 7:30 AM
Senior Tech Team

Build it with the best forged internals you can afford and hit it with a 200 shot. Whole lot cheaper than building it do hit 600 N/A.

Gary Adrian
The correct spelling is
HILLIARY
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 7:42 AM
Senior Tech Team
Mike

Send a message via Skype™ to marooned

Look at the dyno sheet on my 383 stroker in my sig. Engine blocks a 010 GM casting. Has a small 100 shot of NOS, runs on pump gas.

Mike

TC #415
Mike Norman
1965 Chevelle Convertible

When you find yourself in a hole........ Stop digging.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 7:48 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Best way-----STICK A BIG BLOCK IN IT AND BE DONE.Sell the 350 and buy a big block.

Rigt side
Left side
Front1
Front2

Sold May 09

540 BIG BLOCK
10.10 @ 130 ON MOTOR
9.47 @139 ON 175 HIT
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 10:09 AM
Tech Team
^^see above

Why does it have to be normally aspirated?

If you can do a supercharger or turbo, I could see it happening (still be expensive, but more realistic); otherwise, it's gonna be a tall ($$) order!

I mean, if a 4 cyl. (turbo) Mitsubishi can relatively easily make 375-400hp/400 tq. as a pump gas daily driver (my Galant VR-4), those extra 4 cylinders should help!

Or, do a hipo big block and make that goal a little easier...
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 10:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Randy

Wes, is this for a bracket car or are you aiming at a certain performance objective or class? What is your realistic budget for this project?

Just asking because there's several ways to skin a cat.

My 355 is real mild and consistent, was reasonable to build, and just what I needed for a lightweight bracket car. It probably makes an honest 540hp (never dynoed) and runs 9.30's @ 143.5-144mph. in my 2350lb. race car. It takes minimal maintenance and is consistent as the sunrise.

To hit the 600+ N/A hp level with a similar mild combo, I'd build a 400-style (large bore) block and use a set of CFE/BMF 18 degree CNC heads. A high compression 18* 377-406 would be a reliable, high power piece that could be built fairly reasonably, be durable and consistent, and not be maxxed out. There would be room to grow later if you wanted.

The reason I said 18* heads is because at the 600hp power level you're looking for from a smallblock, any 23* head that can support that level will probably need an offset rocker system. If you have to buy shaft rockers anyway, there'd be NO reason to stick with 23* heads unless it was because of class rules or something similar.

How's that for a justification of a way to spend YOUR money!

JMHO!

Randy

'66 Chevelle SS396 L-78 M-20 4-speed 4.10 posi Black-on-Black numbers matching (SOLD!)
'67 Cutlass with a 540
'67 Camaro (SOLD)
'65 Biscayne 2-dr post (kind of a BIG Chevelle)
Vega S/G (For Sale with REAL nice 18 degree SB motor parts and a 9.40 350 in it.)
several Olds 442's (funny lookin' Chevelles) (2 sold)
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 10:38 AM
Tech Team

Wes, horse power numbers are cool but what kind of ET do you plan on running? If you want to use the 350 then I'd definitly stroke it to a 383 and go with either a solid or a roller cam...whatever is in the budget. An 11 second ET will be pretty easily attainable as long as you have the whole combination correct. Keep in mind the weight of the car and just build it to do what you want.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech Team
Chris

Wolfplace, what heads are running on that 332? I figure some crazy compression and a solid roller too? Heck, what about intake and carb (carbs?).
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 1:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by -SS454-
Wolfplace, what heads are running on that 332? I figure some crazy compression and a solid roller too? Heck, what about intake and carb (carbs?).
=
18 deg GM heads done by HRD, Bowtie intake, single four barrel 14.+ comp. 9000 RPM.
This is a GT1 Trans Am deal not a drag race engine.
It is going back together with 15 deg HRD heads & a different cam & I expect 700.
BTW, this is an honest 670 with an identity crisis,,,,,
it just blows away a few "725-750" HP cars down the straights so it doesn't seem to know it is only 670

Mike (Wolfplace)
VISIT US AT
+4axis CNC block machining+
================================
Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
===
"Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
----John Wayne----

post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 1:54 PM
Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to bowtie455

cubic inches are the answer to more power for less dough, a stroked smallblock with a high duration flat tappet solid cam or hydraulic roller should get you close.it won't require 8000rpm like a 350,therefore being a little easier on components. adding nitrous and a good cam with the right heads to the stroker would be more sensible in my opinion.beware,you'll have to shell out extra to get a factory block prepped for 600 horses.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 06, 2:02 PM
Tech Team
Timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak2
Wes, horse power numbers are cool but what kind of ET do you plan on running? If you want to use the 350 then I'd definitly stroke it to a 383 and go with either a solid or a roller cam...whatever is in the budget. An 11 second ET will be pretty easily attainable as long as you have the whole combination correct. Keep in mind the weight of the car and just build it to do what you want.
All these responses are assuming that he's building a drag car. He only says it's a race car. You know there's a brand new racetrack out in Tooele, Miller Motorsports Park, and for all we know, he's building a corner carving road racer to be used at that venue rather than just straight lines.

I plan on eventually building a 750-ish h.p. pump-gas BBC for my Chevelle and racing it out there (I use the term 'racing' loosely, I'd be more accurate to say I'll be flogging it out there on any available track day)

I prefer silent vice to ostentatious virtue.

'01 Suzuki GSX-R1000 - 12.18 @ 122.63 5/19/2006 (uncorrected at 4,600')
'05 Dodge Magnum R/T
'94 Corvette LT1 (only 68K miles)
'72 Chevelle Malibu (under construction. still.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.