70 chevelle roof skin...hows the quality? - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 7th, 17, 6:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Location: No more land of OZ for me am back in the corn fields of Iowa!
70 chevelle roof skin...hows the quality?

Finally decided to start on a project 70 chevelle that I've had for about 15 years now. Anyways, I might need to replace the roof skin depending how I go about repairing the damage.

So has anyone bought a recent roof skin, how was the quality and where did you buy it from? Have any pictures to share? Thanks...Eric

Currently working on How to videos and replacement sheetmetal panels

1970 chevelle getting Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
1970 chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
Pictures of my work
http://s969.photobucket.com/user/sev...?sort=6&page=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 17, 12:52 AM
Tech Team
Rod

Garage
Re: 70 chevelle roof skin...hows the quality?

I bought one for my '66 about 7 months ago from Ausley's. I don't recall the brand but it was absolutely perfect, needed no body work at all, and only required a small amount of trimming to fit within the drip rails. . However, that is one thing that I don't care for about Ausley's, they generally don't mention the brand of the items they sell. It's kind of hard to tell in the pic below, but, the roof skin is still in the original sealer that it was delivered in. And with the light shining on it you can see that there is nothing wrong with the skin.

[IMG][/IMG]

1966 Malibu, 540 BBC FAST XFI EFI, 4L80E Trans, 2800 Stall, Quick Performance 59" 9" Ford Rear End w/3.50 gear
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 8th, 17, 6:41 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevt_chevelle View Post
Finally decided to start on a project 70 chevelle that I've had for about 15 years now. Anyways, I might need to replace the roof skin depending how I go about repairing the damage.

So has anyone bought a recent roof skin, how was the quality and where did you buy it from? Have any pictures to share? Thanks...Eric
Very interested in this thread as I have a 68 that also needs a roof skin,hopefully someone can give us an idea Eric.Good on you for holding on to the car for that many years as it seems the availability for these cars are drying up certainly in these parts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 5:33 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Chuck

Garage

I installed AMD's roof on my 70 a few years ago. Overall it went on real easy. minimal initial trimming was needed. Keep in mind that I installed both rear quarters as well and the fitment to the quarter where it meets the roof on the driver side needed work. I had to make relief cuts in that area in order to weld it properly to the quarter. I used panel bond adhesive along the drip rails and welded it in the front and rear glass areas. The one thing I didn't check and should have before welding, as with anytime you are installing any panels, is to check everything for fitment prior to welding. The front windshield trim doesn't fit in the channel properly at the passenger corner. the radius is off. it needs more curve to it. I haven't tried to correct this yet. Here's a few pictures

70 Chevelle Project started 01/09
Plan on a 496 and stick!
http://s918.photobucket.com/albums/a...20Restoration/
" The 1970 Chevelle is the '57 Chevy of its era"
2011 Mustang 5.0 440 WHP. 11.65@ 122 on the corn
69 Chevelle SS- Sold in 2005
TC# 419
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 9:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Thanks guys for the info. My biggest issue is how the fit will be around the trim.

Here are a few pics of the car. I bought this car out of San Bernardino, CA back in '03 nice clean rust free car minus the pole indention.

Depending on how it comes back from the frame machine it will either get the right inner surround replaced or the whole clipped top.

Pictures of my work
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 11:08 AM
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

ouch! but it appears that she is on the road to recovery though... in regards to the trim, it's good that you are thinking ahead but it will be part of the fitment process. I replaced my quarters as well when I did the roof skin and the fit was really nice and tight. Like mentioned you will need to do some trimming on the roof skin in the rain gutter areas when installing. Just take your time and take a little off at a time, it's easier to trim a little more than trying to stretch it out, lol. Once we got my roof skin trimmed to the point that it would fit within the gutters without forcing it, per se, we checked the trim alignment, both front and back to see how it fit. Wasn't an issue for us, just need to make sure that corners are right as you have some adjustment width wise built into the trim.

1966 Malibu, 540 BBC FAST XFI EFI, 4L80E Trans, 2800 Stall, Quick Performance 59" 9" Ford Rear End w/3.50 gear
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 11:14 AM
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

another thing, when you do go to set the roof skin, you can not get enough clamps to hold it in place, especially through the drip rails. If you don't have even pressure through out this area you will have a roof skin that will look 'puckered' above the doors. LOTS of clamps...

We also fit the roof skin first, are rather attached it first, it was kind of a simultaneous process, but for the '66 the roof goes on first and then the quarters lay on the roof skin, Again, make sure your roof skin is clamped and can't move when fitting your quarters.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 11:21 AM
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

besides the obvious damage, is there any other reason to replace the roof skin? If not, I'd start by cutting off the old quarter and sectioning in the internal structure and see what needed to be done to save the existing roof skin.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 6:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Eric

There's not much of a chance to save the skin IMO. The inner structure is damaged and with the drip rail. I don't see how you could repair the inner structure without replacing the roof skin.

I've repaired far worse in my travels in the collision industry.

IMG_3746 by eric2406, on Flickr

IMG_3745 by eric2406, on Flickr

Pictures of my work
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 21st, 17, 8:00 PM
Tech Team
Rod

Garage

yeah, that's not very pretty... those pics are a better representation of the damage... from the earlier pics I was thinking that you might be able to separate the inner structure at the seam right at the point of where the top of the new quarter would go and possibly bring the roof skin back to the quarter. I didn't know that you were a body man, sorry about putting you through my dribble, lol...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.