Team Chevelle banner

64 chevelle windshield lower channel replacement

7K views 39 replies 10 participants last post by  Mikes64 
#1 ·
Hey All,

Looking for any info I can find on replacing the lower channel for my windshield. Went to install windshield last night and found lots of deep rust.

Looking around I'm seeing a decent amount of distributors with varying prices. Some actually state USA and Import. Any suggestions?

This will be my first foray into body work, needing all the help I can get!!

#37 ·
Considering the JB weld and what appears to be "thick" body filler on the pillar covers, how do you know that cowl piece is factory with just the 90 bend?

How does the cowl piece fit by itself? It should almost fit relaxed, meaning you shouldn't have to force it in place. Get to fit the car, then worry about the pillar covers.

#38 ·
I honestly don't know if anything is factory on this car, very green to Chevelles, I'm assuming it's original given it has original paint color, the seam sealer underneath it has very straight edges, assuming machine applied, and the spot welds in the channel looks like factory.

The cowl fits decent by itself, you toss it on the car and it levels out pretty well. I'm going to start on it instead of standing back thinking it's going to fix itself, I appreciate your insight and help!

#39 ·
Made a little progress. As much as my skills allowed I got the pillar covers lined up and the channel tacked in.

The crease was too shallow for the lip of the cover, so I found a body hammer that fit the channel and used it as a dolly. (Sp?)

This fit the channel perfectly

Pass side

Drivers

Thanks for sticking in there and helping this newbie out! It's greatly appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.