how to adjust wing window outside gap 66. - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 7:40 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

how to adjust wing window outside gap 66.

I'm working on the doors for the 66 and noticed that the wing window doesn't seem to have an adjustment for the gap between the wing window housing and the door skin.

I looked at the manual and it doesn't show anything in the hole on the outer side of the housing.

The door doesn't look like it can be pinched in because it has a brace right where the wing window is. I've been able to monkey around with the adjustments and got it closer, but I still can seem to close this gap. Also, if I make it tight, doesn't that make a bigger gap on the inside?

That long special screw that you see when you look at the wing window, that only pulls the wing inward, what pulls it outword?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 10:18 AM
Tech Team
Troy

Re: how to adjust wing window outside gap 66.

I've had the same issue. I believe it has to do with after market weatherstripping. I pay attention when I see other chevelles and have noticed some fit great and some don't, duh!

66 CHEVELLE
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 10:51 AM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Should have about 1 1/16 gap all the way across the top...check that first.
If you don't have your outer window felt in place, maybe you are trying to
fill the gap that the outer felt fills up?
There is no adjustment in that area as you already found out. The inner
and outer door shells are spot welded under the wing assembly... maybe it
is cracked and stretched or even the spot welds maybe 1 or 2 have broke and
need pushed back in a bit and tack welded solid. If it's that bad you could
drill out the spot weld or welds then tack weld back to the 1 1/16 gap.
Eyeballing down the length of the top of the door should should show an obvious
bow in or out if there is real problem.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 1:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

Have you ever seen this up above just under "User CP," Karl?

Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/307290...rolet-chevelle
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 2:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewho1 View Post
Have you ever seen this up above just under "User CP," Karl?

Chevelle Tech General Tech Area
Please try and post in specific forums

Sorry, I don't always know which sub to post in and I only have a few days to finish this project.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 2:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKN BCK View Post
Should have about 1 1/16 gap all the way across the top...check that first.
If you don't have your outer window felt in place, maybe you are trying to
fill the gap that the outer felt fills up?
There is no adjustment in that area as you already found out. The inner
and outer door shells are spot welded under the wing assembly... maybe it
is cracked and stretched or even the spot welds maybe 1 or 2 have broke and
need pushed back in a bit and tack welded solid. If it's that bad you could
drill out the spot weld or welds then tack weld back to the 1 1/16 gap.
Eyeballing down the length of the top of the door should should show an obvious
bow in or out if there is real problem.
Ok the bare door shell has an opening at the rear of the wing of just under 1 1/16" metal to metal.

The soft rubber runner molded to the wing window housing seems a bit small. One spot looks like 1/32 ~ 1/64 too skinny.

Maybe it's the insulation on the wing window housing, but I have been able to get it to move a bit with some other adjustments.

It seems odd they didn't make some kind of overlap flap thing that would seal against water.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 4:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
It seems odd they didn't make some kind of overlap flap thing that would seal against water.
Doesn't the weatherstripping along the bottom of the vent window overlap the top of the outer door skin? That would seal against water intrusion... Seems all the originals I had do overlap the top of the door, but I may be thinking about my El Camino, which may be different from a coupe...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 4:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966_L78 View Post
Doesn't the weatherstripping along the bottom of the vent window overlap the top of the outer door skin? That would seal against water intrusion... Seems all the originals I had do overlap the top of the door, but I may be thinking about my El Camino, which may be different from a coupe...
I'm far from an expert, but what I have is a rubber part that is one the wing frame where it contacts the edge of the door skin. There's no overlap on what I have, it's just pressed up against the outer skin.

The issue is that the wing gap in the door is fixed ~1 1/16 (mine seems a bit larger) and there's no way to really adjust how the wing frame rubber presses against the door skin.

Given all the adjustment in all the glass (doors, 1/4's) I'm surprised this doesn't have some adjustment.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 4:56 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Sometimes there is a screw that holds the vent window assy to the outer door. I have seen this screw in the window track behind the felt (the track for the front of the door window). Perhaps adding a screw there would solve your problem.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 6:59 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

There is a split in the rubber from the underside...stick something in there to fatten
the thickness of the rubber. Sounds like the rubber has gotten smashed or shrunk etc.
The rubber should stick out from the stainless housing next to the wing lock about 1/4"
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 8:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967convert View Post
Sometimes there is a screw that holds the vent window assy to the outer door. I have seen this screw in the window track behind the felt (the track for the front of the door window). Perhaps adding a screw there would solve your problem.
I don't know if we're thinking about the same screw / hole, but there is a hole in the vent frame that is very near metal of that door skin holder cross beam thing.

I didn't see anything in the book that said a bolt would go there, and I couldn't see any threads.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 8:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
There is a split in the rubber from the underside...stick something in there to fatten
the thickness of the rubber. Sounds like the rubber has gotten smashed or shrunk etc.
The rubber should stick out from the stainless housing next to the wing lock about 1/4"
Wow! Why didn't I see that?

You're awesome, the rubber flexes and I insert something behind it to push it out a bit. Looks like my problems will be solved.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 9:31 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlJay View Post
I don't know if we're thinking about the same screw / hole, but there is a hole in the vent frame that is very near metal of that door skin holder cross beam thing.

I didn't see anything in the book that said a bolt would go there, and I couldn't see any threads.

It's not a bolt, it's a screw about 1" long and has threads about the same as that long screw and you should put it in and snug it up. If you take the bottom window stop off and roll the window down as far as it will go you can see where it goes through the cutout on the inner shell...might/should take the upper door panel stainless trim off to see it clearly and to have a straight shot at tightening it up.
The screw goes through the non threaded hole in the vent window frame and screws into the little brace/tab hanging down from the outer skin as it is threaded. It may help the gap some when installed but I would not bet on it as that is close to where those spot welds are. Maybe the the tab got bent inward
(unlikely) and it's not allowing the window frame to be sucked outward when the screw is tightened. Another thought tells me to snug that screw first to pull frame out then snug the inner long screw. Also maybe you could bend that tab carefully a bit outward not damaging the outer skin, may help but it's not really made to be bent and unlikely? it got bent inward. that's all I got! Still betting it's the rubber.
Good luck!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
It's not a bolt, it's a screw about 1" long and has threads about the same as that long screw and you should put it in and snug it up. If you take the bottom window stop off and roll the window down as far as it will go you can see where it goes through the cutout on the inner shell...might/should take the upper door panel stainless trim off to see it clearly and to have a straight shot at tightening it up.
The screw goes through the non threaded hole in the vent window frame and screws into the little brace/tab hanging down from the outer skin as it is threaded. It may help the gap some when installed but I would not bet on it as that is close to where those spot welds are. Maybe the the tab got bent inward
(unlikely) and it's not allowing the window frame to be sucked outward when the screw is tightened. Another thought tells me to snug that screw first to pull frame out then snug the inner long screw. Also maybe you could bend that tab carefully a bit outward not damaging the outer skin, may help but it's not really made to be bent and unlikely? it got bent inward. that's all I got! Still betting it's the rubber.
Good luck!
Wow! I was looking at those two screw and wondering what they were for, they are like a mini version of the one you see at the vent lock.

Thanks!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 12:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

Just checked my SS (original weaterstripping), and sure enough, the rubber sits down inside...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.