Small garage for paint and bodywork - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 2:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Small garage for paint and bodywork

I'm considering bodywork and paint in my small 1 car garage as a challenge. I would like to hear from folks that have done this along with some suggestions. I have a 1969 Malibu. Leaving the vinyl top on. The interior is complete and finished. I will be painting the jams as I've not decided on a color yet. I am NOT after a show car, but a good solid driver base coat/clear coat. I have a dry garage with air and decent lighting. The panels are in decent shape but will need a bit of alignment and a few dents fixed along with a few emblem holes filled up.

I know I can hang some plastic and move things around, but still tight. Just looking for some ideas and suggestions. Getting bodywork and paint done where I live is a challenge and I don't really want to go there.... again.... so, with very little to none bodywork and paint experience, I think it would be possible with the help from the team...

Another option is to do the bodywork and take it to Maaco.

https://goo.gl/photos/WUKtRU5AGouqF5Fj9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 2:58 PM
Team Member
Rich

Garage
Re: Small garage for paint and bodywork

Just from my own experiences David I would advise not undertaking a base/clear in those conditions. A single stage you could massage afterward...base/clear is unforgiving.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 3:29 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I have sent plenty of cars to my local Maaco over the years for paint after doing my own bodywork or with help. The cars are always prepped/wet sanded, all emblems removed, weather stripping,etc. and already jammed.All they had to do is paint.

..they have never disappointed me.

Maaco painted my Grand National 12 years ago...single stage..still looks mint (picture taken about 2 month ago-always been garaged I might add)..this was $400 paint (50% off sale lol)

..and I will hit it out of the park: the 1970 GS 455 parked next to it was painted at Maaco 25 years ago!!! Paint has aged very nicely,shines up well and gets boat loads of compliments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GN2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	421714   Click image for larger version

Name:	buick.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	421730  
Freddy Mercado likes this.

Last edited by mr 4 speed; Feb 15th, 17 at 3:44 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 3:39 PM
Team Member
Dave

I second the Maaco job. There are several in our area, and one has a very good reputation for working with DIyers. If their best materials do not suit you, you can provide your own. Look around, you may be surprised.

"WE are the people that our parents warned us about!"
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
Looking for a 1968 or 1969 El Camino, what ya got?
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, N96 caps and whitewalls, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 4:13 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
David

I've always liked the Maaco idea. So, I can still remove my trim, bumpers, door cards, etc, do my own sanding, primer (most likely epoxy) where needed, high build primer, as much or as little sanding and blocking that I want to do then on the trailer to Maaco. Back home in short time for my wet sanding polishing and assembly.. Bet I can all that done easy in a few months. I'm NOT planning on removing any panels, only some alignment where needed. Seems possibly and practical.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 4:24 PM
Tech Team
Chuck

If it was me I would just give it a go with base clear on your own. You can always color sand the clear and buff it back out to get a nice shine....I would suggest Southern Polyurethane's Universal Clear coat. Its 1:1 mix and it lays down real nice. It is designed to be used in your situation!

I sprayed two small panels with it and it came out slick the first time I used it!!!!

I am no pro but I will be doing mine when I get it to that point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4877-sm.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	421794  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 17, 5:38 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
Just from my own experiences David I would advise not undertaking a base/clear in those conditions. A single stage you could massage afterward...base/clear is unforgiving.
You can't do much of anything afterward to single stage with metallic if there is no clear coat because the metallic will dull.
BTDT
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 12:59 AM
Team Member
Rich

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
You can't do much of anything afterward to single stage with metallic if there is no clear coat because the metallic will dull.
BTDT
And I absolutely would not shoot a metallic in a barn or garage...guarantee there will be trash in it. Best to keep with solids in those conditions to at least give yourself a fighting chance.

Rich

1967 El Camino
(under construction) http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841082
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 5:02 AM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I painted my '69 Malibu in a one car garage that I made into a temporary paint booth. I used a solid color (non metallic) base/clear paint and I painted the car in pieces. I had the compressor outside the gar and had an opening in the ext wall with a box fan pulling air out of the building. I temporarily moved fluorescent lights from my main gar to this gar. I made a panel with furnace air filters that fit under the partially closed gar OH door and closed off the remaining area above the OH door. Biggest problem I had was the fluctuating temp in the uninsulated bldg with sun shining on it. Had to paint base coats in the morning when outdoor temps were rising and clear coats on same panels in the evening when temps were dropping.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...m/DSCN1397.JPG
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 8:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

Bodywork and primer for blocking isn't really an issue, but base/clear in a single car garage, I wouldn't do. Besides the fumes, especially from the clear, air flow and temperature/humidity can drastically change things and cause problems.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor
1970 SS Best ET: 12.31@108 MPH
1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
1970 Chevelle Convertible
Maryland Chevelle Club
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 10:16 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Wondering about your options from a cost standpoint David, if you aren't set up with air, dryer's filters, guns, sheeting, masking, et-al, you'll probably spend more getting ready than you will to pay someone else. There is the accomplishment factor and the satisfaction of learning that is worth consideration. So is the torture of living with annoyances and imperfections, or redoing it until you are satisfied.

I'm still learning about body and paint.

1970-LS5, #28- Fathom Blue,TH400, original motor car.
1970- NOM, 496, M21, #48 Forest Green.
1972- Malibu, 350. TH350- original motor car, #43 Gulf Green.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 5:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70SSTHUMPER View Post
Wondering about your options from a cost standpoint David, if you aren't set up with air, dryer's filters, guns, sheeting, masking, et-al, you'll probably spend more getting ready than you will to pay someone else. There is the accomplishment factor and the satisfaction of learning that is worth consideration. So is the torture of living with annoyances and imperfections, or redoing it until you are satisfied.

I'm still learning about body and paint.

Ron, I'm in my 60s and not looking for a career in paint and body work. I would like to get some 'accomplishment factor' though. I'm not touching the vinyl top and there really isn't that much to fill in and such. I have a good compressor and filters, but no paint supplies including guns, etc. I'm not planning on taking the paint down to metal only scuff, fix things and shoot. I know I can remove all the trim, bumpers, door cards, etc... I should look for some local help that can perhaps get me started. This will be next winters project anyway, but I at least want to have a plan. I really don't like the idea of doing a piece here and there, but it might happen that way. I prefer to start and finish. I am not going to submit to body shop jail. BTDT... too many times.. That's why I love the Maaco idea. I think I can start this project by November 1st and be complete by Feb 1st easy.

My expatiations are for a decent driver with base coat, clear coat. Probably be Daytona yellow with black stripes. I'll get some repo bumpers, polish up the rest of the trim and at least have something with paint on it before I'm dead!

Thanks so much for the input.

PS, if I can wind up with a job similar to Mr 4 speed, I would be more than happy!

PS 2, I think I can do this for a budget of $5000. I'll bet the best BC/CC maaco paint job will run no more than 2-3K I'll bet I can get the car prepped for less that 2K and have some left over for bumpers and a few goodies!!!!
70SSTHUMPER likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 17, 9:28 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rod

Would be great to have a guy in town who has all the equipment and would shoot the car just like Maaco even if it cost a few more dollars than Maaco. I've met a few guys over the years who do bodywork and restoration for others in their home garages.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 7:19 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg1029 View Post
PS 2, I think I can do this for a budget of $5000. I'll bet the best BC/CC maaco paint job will run no more than 2-3K I'll bet I can get the car prepped for less that 2K and have some left over for bumpers and a few goodies!!!!
Maaco will probably cost you no more than $1500
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 9:47 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 4 speed View Post
Maaco will probably cost you no more than $1500
I really wish I knew how they can do it that cheap. I can't even buy the materials for that with my discount. The cheapest I can get a car hosed it doing it myself is about $3500.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor
1970 SS Best ET: 12.31@108 MPH
1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
1970 Chevelle Convertible
Maryland Chevelle Club
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.