Small garage for paint and bodywork - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
David

Re: Small garage for paint and bodywork

I found someone local that I sort of know. He can do what I want in less than 3 months time at a cost of $4000 all in. That includes removing the doors, hood, deck, all bodywork needed (dents, fill some emblem holes, etc etc...) along with all the primer, sealer and prep followed by paint (BC/CC). This includes the jams, under the deck and hood, etc then assembly and paint.

I will remove all the trim, bumpers, door handles, door cards, etc and install when complete
I will do the final wet sanding and buffing
He has a decent shop but no paint booth. I asked for references.

Thoughts?
I've seen a car he did and it came out nice. He has a few projects and works alone. He has a decent sized shop and loves these classics. He is working on a 66 impala now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 11:45 AM
Andy

Garage

I had all my body work done on my car by a friend of mine, then I had Maaco block out each fender before paind and shoot an economy base coat clear coat for me, no sills but i could have painted them myself. Everything was 1900 at Maaco. Granted i had to paint my own sills and little stuff like that but overall I was really satisfied. Its no show car but after a good wetsand and buff it looks really really good for less than 2g!

All I learned in high school is I am not Earnhardt and I am not invincible
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 1:18 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg1029 View Post
I found someone local that I sort of know. He can do what I want in less than 3 months time at a cost of $4000 all in. That includes removing the doors, hood, deck, all bodywork needed (dents, fill some emblem holes, etc etc...) along with all the primer, sealer and prep followed by paint (BC/CC). This includes the jams, under the deck and hood, etc then assembly and paint.

I will remove all the trim, bumpers, door handles, door cards, etc and install when complete
I will do the final wet sanding and buffing
He has a decent shop but no paint booth. I asked for references.

Thoughts?
I've seen a car he did and it came out nice. He has a few projects and works alone. He has a decent sized shop and loves these classics. He is working on a 66 impala now.
David, if it were me I would probably do the following. Over the course of the next several months I would follow the progress on his current project. Ask him if he minds you stopping by a few times. Ask him what are the times he is most likely to be working on the car such as Saturdays, etc. Contact the owner of the.present project and ask him about the project and cost overruns, getting things done that were expected etc. We're the things promised by the body guy done as expected or were they later compromised. If everything checks out then maybe you have your guy. If not then plan B (Maaco) is.always an.option.
Only thing about Maaco as Tom said he doesn't know how they do it so cheap. My guess is they use lesser grade materials. I might be tempted to supply my own materials. As long as there wouldn't be.complications with the Maaco guys using materials that they may not be used to using.
PS I would consider sending your bumpers to Tri City Plating if they are originals.
Rmchevelle likes this.

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 1:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmg1029 View Post
I found someone local that I sort of know. He can do what I want in less than 3 months time at a cost of $4000 all in.
Be careful! I went to the body shop that I normally use and he didn't do restorations. One of his guys said that he would do it for $6500 and have it done in 6 weeks. He was a real nice guy, and when he asked for some up-front money, I gave it to him. I had to go get it out of there after 17 weeks because he got into trouble with drugs and stuff. I lost my money. Yeah, I could sue, but he has nothing now and he even moved back in with his mom.

The new guy said that he should get it done quickly. He estimated about 6 weeks and $6500. He has it mostly done, but he just had a baby. His wife is on him to get it done so that he can help with taking care of his family.

I still don't have a car, and it will be a year next month. Both of these guys are really nice to talk to, but their work ethic is really bad.

I have an 86 GMC 4X4 that is a total rust bucket, but it is too nice to give up. I'll probably replace panels and do a Macco job on it. At least it is a business that has a reason to get it done $$$.

'69 Chevelle SS (Almost on the road, and it runs again, but in the body shop for a while.)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Comp Custom Magnum HR 306/303 Adv dur 246/248@ .050 .680/.647-112LSA-108 ICL (Crap!...ate the cam's distributor gear!)
NEW CAM: Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ (Dyno numbers with the Comp Magnum Cam)
T-56 Magnum trans with McLeod RST
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 2:04 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSS454 View Post
I really wish I knew how they can do it that cheap. I can't even buy the materials for that with my discount. The cheapest I can get a car hosed it doing it myself is about $3500.
Tom, Our local Maaco owner told us it's because they are a National chain and have the buying power to get the best prices on paint and materials. I'm not privy to the quality of said materials but that question was asked when he was in here at work a couple of years ago.

70 L34 M20 VERT 28-A 791
70 LS5 M40 COUPE 19-19 787
70 LS6 M40 COUPE 14-14 756
69 L78 M21 COUPE 71-B 756
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 17, 7:18 PM
von
Lifetime Founding Member
Von

I would supply the paint materials to ensure you get good quality AND the right color shade. Buy a very small sample amount (like a pint) of base and spray a sample piece to be sure. Maaco can't be buying a very high quality paint to charge the prices they do, even with a high quantity discount.

von '69 Malibu Team Chevelle Member #15
[img]
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...m/DSCN1397.JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.