Lowering the rear of your hood or front of trunk: alignment - Page 2 - Chevelle Tech
Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 12, 1:32 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage
Re: Lowering the rear of your hood or front of trunk: alignment

Ah ha ..DUHA

Well, I added a shim (aprox 3/16") between the hood and the front of the hinge and it did bring down the rear corner.

A little while ago, I found out that the guy (or his helper maybe) that originally put it together in 1987 had put a wrong inner fender bolt in the hole directly under the front of the hinge and it was WAY TOO LONG. It was keeping the hinge from going down because it was hitting on the bolt.

Back out to the shop I go to remove the shim and try again.
(I'd rather not have that shim if I can do without it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 12, 2:05 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Action---reaction. This adjustment procedure should take less time to comprehend than one did when they learned to tie their shoes.
post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 12, 3:27 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Scott, it's always staring you in the face once you have SEEN it! It goes against what your common sense is telling you and unless you rolled thru geometry in high school while drawing on the desk from boredom (I didn't even TAKE geometry because I knew I would fail) it doesn't come that easy.

When I started doing wheel alignments I took home a basic manual that gave the angles caster, camber, included angle, and SAI, that was it, just those four. I studied that friggin couple of pages for a WEEK before it hit me, mostly that damn included angle. Now, oh my God how simple is that! It's like lefty loosy righty tighty on a bolt for goodness sakes how simple can it be you moron. But it was hard for me because that isn't my thing.

The funny thing is, I have spoken with MANY guys who thought they knew what it was and they were wrong! I can sure explain it to people a lot easier than that stupid manual did! Being I am not too bright and can communicate pretty well I can explain it for the normal person (as I am) to understand.

But honestly that is why laid it out in this way because it is so darn odd and people have a hard time grasping it.

Brian

Brian Martin
1965 Buick Gran Sport Convertible
1959 Rambler American. Yeah, I said RAMBLER, you want to make something of it punk?
"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"

post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 12, 4:38 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

^^^^This thread you took the time to write up should help people a great deal. Maybe people make it more difficult than it has to be. Depends on the person as you say. I believe over the years people have lost the ability to analyze problems or situations similar to this. Perhaps instant screen answers have diminshed people's diagnostic and reasoning skills to some degree. Or willingness to do the mental work required to jump a hurdle. It's no longer inate behavior.
post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 12, 6:13 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Got it Brian
THANKS!

My hinges probably needing rebuilding and one of them (I forget which one) I made from a used 70 hinge by cutting off the anti-decapitating hook back in 87.

The "too long" inner fender bolt didn't matter because the hinge didn't need to go down but I replaced it and another one on the other side with the proper bolts anyway.

Too bad we can't all be as smart as Scott
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 12, 7:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

I love it when a plan comes together.

Brian

Brian Martin
1959 Rambler American. Yeah, I said RAMBLER, you want to make something of it punk?
post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 12, 7:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean View Post
Too bad we can't all be as smart as Scott
Care to know how many mistakes I make in the journey of new endeavors? Even though I learn from them, it's quite annoying when they occur.
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 12, 8:21 PM
Team Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1 View Post
^^^^This thread you took the time to write up should help people a great deal. Maybe people make it more difficult than it has to be. Depends on the person as you say. I believe over the years people have lost the ability to analyze problems or situations similar to this. Perhaps instant screen answers have diminshed people's diagnostic and reasoning skills to some degree. Or willingness to do the mental work required to jump a hurdle. It's no longer inate behavior.
I do appreciate the info posted here by you guys. For me I'm just now starting to get into some of this after never doing any of it. So it's all new. Don't know much of the terms, tools etc so I have to start somewhere.

I'm sure you do this for a living and the last thing you want to do is type out a big how to on something...especially having done it before many times probably. You might want to keep in mind some of us are just getting started and are looking for some guidance.

Maybe after I figure out the trunk replacement I'll finally get my hood adjusted correctly.

Thanks.....

My '71 Malibu:
3665#
383 (for now), 11.1:1, Performer RPM heads and intake

Comp 288AR-6 solid roller 252/258@.050 .630/630, Holley 650 DP

GM/MSD ignition, 1-3/4 to 1-7/8 headers, 3" exhaust

TH350 PTC 9" converter

12 bolt posi, 3.90 gears, MT ET S/S 275/60/15

355 times-12.70@106
125 shot-11.85@112
383rip....11.96@113
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 12, 8:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
RonO.

Garage

Quote:
Care to know how many mistakes I make in the journey of new endeavors? Even though I learn from them, it's quite annoying when they occur.
I discovered this while adjusting the hood on my 70'. It took me (alone) several, loosen-adjust-tighten cycles, close the hood gently and controlled to note the adjustments effect. Before I started I scribed the outline of the hood hinge where it joined or bolted to the hood, this was so I could always get back to my starting point if things went wacko. In the end I simply loosened the front hinge bolts to the point I could use a prybar (wrapped in shop towels so I didn't scratch the inner fender paint) to gently push down on the prybar, causing the hood hinge to go up in front, down in back. You can have your socket on the hood hindge bolt while useing the prybar and snug the bolt enough to hold the hood and test fit. When your satisfied then go back and snug em down. But your right it does defy what you think would be logical to get the back of the hood down. great post, stuff like this I need.
post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 12, 8:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

I don't see how this defies logic. Lower the back of the hinge through rotation, the back of the hood goes with it.

I do realize many have never done certain things before. But I stand by my view that many choose not to do the mental work required. Something's changed or has been lost. I have a friend with a machine shop and he goes through incompetent help more now than years ago. And that's their job.
post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 12, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Action---reaction. This adjustment procedure should take less time to comprehend than one did when they learned to tie their shoes.
This thread popped into my head yesterday at dinner when I saw some dad tying his sons shoes. I don't know of a kid who didn't take at least a few days learning to tie his shoes, most take weeks. Just saying.....

Brian

Brian Martin
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 12, 12:25 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

One of my Great grandsons had one heck of a time learning to tie his shoes. Everybody in the family worked with him for months.

Some folks automatically "can do" while others take a while to learn and the sad part is that some of the people that things come easy for just CAN NOT understand why things don't come easy for other folks.
I might be wrong but Scott appears to me to be one of those people from the way I interpret his posts.

My friend Jim owns an HVAC company and he is one of those amazing people that can do anything and everything perfect every single time even though it might not be in any way related to designing systems and fabricating duct work, which is his expertise.
He could walk into any profession and automatically do a perfect job every time.

There is one thing that Jim is definitely not good at which is;
He just can not understand why his men can't be perfect like he is and gives them no respect whatsoever.
Consequentially he has a hard time keeping good men very long and has a pretty big turnover of help.
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 12, 2:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
There is one thing that Jim is definitely not good at which is;
He just can not understand why his men can't be perfect like he is and gives them no respect whatsoever.
Consequentially he has a hard time keeping good men very long and has a pretty big turnover of help.
Yes Dean, ones perception is awfully powerful! You see what you want to see and don't see what you don't want to see.

Scott, where is he looking for workers, how much is he paying, is he unrealistic in his expectations? Does he have any racist views where he is letting that effect his opinion on skills? These are all things I think of when I hear something like this. I work in a large shop with 20 or so employees. The skill level range is all over the place, just as it was in shops I worked at years ago. I agree that less kids are doing this so there is a smaller amount coming into the field.
But if we want to compare today with the "good old days", let's compare another field.

Let's compare putting an ad for a position available designing computer software. We will go back in time to 1970 and see how many applicants we get. Then do it today in 2012 when all we have are dummies in the workforce and see how that works.

Perception is an awful powerful tool.

As Henry Ford said "Whether you believe you can, or you can't, you are correct".

Brian

Brian Martin
post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 12, 2:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
people that things come easy for just CAN NOT understand why things don't come easy for other folks.
I might be wrong but Scott appears to me to be one of those people from the way I interpret his posts.
I posted earlier that I make mistakes. So that means not everything comes easily. Maybe you glanced over it. And I sometimes make many errors when I'm teaching myself to do something. Everybody's abilities are different. I know guys who are lightening fast doing calculations in their head and on paper, I'm not. As long as you eventually comprehend something it does not matter how long it takes. Does that make it a little easier to interpret? Without instant responses like real life communication, or actually knowing someone more than what they divulge on public forum, this screen leaves things wide open for interpretations of various kinds.
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 12, 2:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
The skill level range is all over the place,
This applies to everything and is something that should be expected and accepted. There are people who do the various things I do and they are far more advanced than I. Perhaps some can move ahead further if they are nudged a little and realized their abilities are greater than they perceive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.