The best die grinders/cutoff wheels? - Chevelle Tech

Body Shop Paint & Body Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 4:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
karl

The best die grinders/cutoff wheels?

Greetings, I've been cutting on the 'Cutlass for several weeks now, and have gone through another cutoff tool. Mine is from Harbor frieght, and is like a die grinder, but it uses the 3" wheel. My question, what do you all use or buy when you need this type of tool. I have a water trap on my compressor, and I oil the thing before I use it, but it doesnt seem long before it starts to get weak on me. Is there anything out there that holds up for the long haul? Anything under $30? Thanks for yours input...!

-Karl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 4:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
Eric

Re: The best die grinders/cutoff wheels?

Under 30 bucks NO. If you step up to 50-60 dollar range you can get yourself some IR or Ingersol Rand tools. I own several never any problems and full of power.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Inger...70158657QQrdZ1

Currently working on How to videos and replacement sheetmetal panels

1970 chevelle getting Sliced and Diced Anything But STOCK
1970 chevelle SS455 not a typo its a BUICK BABY
1949 and 1972 chevy trucks
Pictures of my work
http://s969.photobucket.com/user/sev...?sort=6&page=1
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 6:02 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Grant

I have found that an electric grinder is more powerful (but larger/heavier), and costs a lot more....guess it depends how big and how powerful you need it to be....power costs money, you get what you pay for
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 6:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
TONY

I second the IR air tools. Reasonable price and well built.

Aces #2915 TC #1357
69 SS Chevelle Numbers Matching L78
69 SS Chevelle Modified "my fun car"
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 7:52 PM
Tech Team

I have had a harbor cut off tool for a few years and have had no problem. I cut both quarters off the chevelle and it did fine. You might have got a bad one. I think mine has been oiled a couple of times.

69 hardtop 502
North Texas Chevelles
77 Nova drag car 9.70@140-1/4 5.96@114-1/8
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh.../25508/cat/500
http://www.freewebs.com/gonracn/
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 7:53 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

i Agree to the reccomendations about the grinders; you get what you pay for, just there isnt a need to spend hundreds of bucks on them any more. when it dies, toss it and get another one.

However, On the issue of cut off wheels, NEver NEver NEVer Dont cheep on them.. if the blade catastrophically explodes, there is no where to go except eat what is fed to you. nine times out of ten the reasons are;
  • improper matching the disc to the grinder..ie, 20,000 rpm tool, 12,000 rpm wheel. never a good thing. I always read about some poor guy missing parts of his body or dead from using a disc in a manner that it was NOT made for. Masonry discs.. are made for masonry.
  • improper adapters for disc to grinder. I buy some adapters out of granger and it has a solid arbor, two size adapter holes, 1/4 and 3/8". I prefer these to the threaded nut on a rod that are prolific out there.
  • Use the washers if required for the wheel.
  • too thin of a wheel for what you are doing with it. I wouldnt use a 0.035" thick blade for rounding corners. Use a 1/8" thick wheel.
  • Use the .035" discs for cut off. Get a feel on at what pressure the wheel is cutting best at. It will extend the life of the wheel.
  • PLease buy a good quality wheel. Norton makes some of the best.
  • If it feels out of balance it is. Check to see if the arbor is bent, or f the wheel is out of round. If you dont, you risk the exploding wheely thing and you kill the grinder in a very short time.
  • SAfety equipment such as a face shield / safety glasses (not sun glasses) with side shields. Gloves that are leather and comfortable. Having an eye patch is cool as a pirate, not as "this is what I got for not thinking about the dangers".
There are some other excellent manufacturers out there, but what ever they have at Harbor Freight- ISNT one of them.

I'm the Haught guy...
haughty is the nic, not the attitude....
2004 GMC Pickemup-
1972 Malibu. Paint jail......
2015 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Ultimate
2001 BMW K1200 LT (Sally Ride)

the preceding comments and comparisons made either to real or fictitious characters are wholly made up with insult to no one. If this does, my apologies as it is just icing on the cake...
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 8:41 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

Karl,
As far as the grinder itself goes, we have a cheap one at the shop that is probably 10 years old and keeps on getting it.

As far as the discs go, I have tried several but always go back to 3M. They last forever compared to the cheapos.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

Enginerepairshop.com

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 8:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Rob

Another reason for air tool failure is improper air line installations and improper filters and not maintaining it.

Water and dirt and air tools don't do well together.

I have some expensive and some cheap air tools, but the cheap ones have been running for over twenty years right along side the expensive ones. Clean air lines and good air tool oil, they will last a long time.

Rob

"There are questions to be answered, and answers to be questioned"

Jigs, sandblasting, shop, paintroom, rotisserie, pictures, little bit of everything.
http://www.1969supersport.com
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 8:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
The Fat Stig

I use a DeWalt grinder with a cutoff wheel ($65 at Home Depot). For tight places I use my trusty Dremel with the emery cutoff wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

SuperAndy's Garage

Automotive Archaeology
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 9:10 PM
Senior Tech Team

I have Harbor Freights cheap-o $19.99 one. They do not carry it anymore, but it has lasted me 2 years so far...

As far as cut off wheels, I use two different sizes (1/16" & 1/32") from Falcon Abrasive. I have yet to have one blow on me. I use and abuse the wheels.

-Todd

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 9:45 PM
Senior Tech Team

I have a Cambell Hausefeld cut off tool that i bought at Wal Mart for about $30 in 2000 and its still cuts like a champ. I use it every day at work. I oil all my tools religiously though.Next one i buy will be a MAC with the adjustable head.
As far as the discs,3M Green Corps last the longest.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 10:03 PM
Tech Team
Shea Levisay

Send a message via MSN to 72silver4u

Use norton discs at work, hold up great, don't wear down fast like the cheaper ones and cut faster too. As far as the tool, your problem might be in your "die grinder"... because it's just that, a die grinder. If you want something that will last, get an actual cut-off wheel tool. Die grinders just don't hold up to things other than using die grinder bits, I suppose they need more torque or something.
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 10:21 PM
Senior Tech Team

I have a few Matco and Snap-On die grinders and angle grinders, and I also have 6 or 7 cheapy straight and angle grinders, the good ones last me 6-10 years and the cheapies seem to last about 4 years. The absolute best die grinder I have is a Sioux-industrial and it is 21 years old. Why so many grinders?-each one has it's own seperate task. I have several loaded with different shaped burr bits, cutoff wheels, rolocs, trim and cut disc, surface prep discs. This saves me time by not having to change out bits. etc. Although I've never tried a Harbor Freight die grinder the cheap ones that I do have are lasting long enough at $10-$20 IMO.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 07, 11:28 PM
Tech Team

I had a cheap wheel explode and luckily I had my face shield on. It did take out two of my dads 8' fluorescents though.

69 hardtop 502
North Texas Chevelles
77 Nova drag car 9.70@140-1/4 5.96@114-1/8
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/sh.../25508/cat/500
http://www.freewebs.com/gonracn/
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 07, 12:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
Kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt clutch View Post
Greetings, I've been cutting on the 'Cutlass for several weeks now, and have gone through another cutoff tool. Mine is from Harbor frieght, and is like a die grinder, but it uses the 3" wheel. My question, what do you all use or buy when you need this type of tool. I have a water trap on my compressor, and I oil the thing before I use it, but it doesnt seem long before it starts to get weak on me. Is there anything out there that holds up for the long haul? Anything under $30? Thanks for yours input...!

-Karl
Crazy question! Anything under $50 is gonna crap on you quickly. I got an IR (Ingerson Rand) Die Grinder for $60 many years ago. Never had an issue with it. Harbor Frieght? You get what you pay for in that store. You have to be carefull with thier stuff, most of it is garbage if you ask me. Why do you think it's so cheap?

Spend the extra $$ on a decent tool, and it will last longer then you need, and for the cutt off wheels get some decent one's also so your not picking them out of your teeth after the first 25,000 rpm.

Good luck

[OO] Malibu [OO]
70 Chevelle - Malibu
TC #4464
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.