Team Chevelle banner

Hardtop, Sedan, Coupe explain

35K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  SKIS69SS 
#1 ·
Hardtop, Sedan, Coupe (68-72 chevelle)

How do you tell the differance?

I see this all the time but how do you now what one you have?

Tom

#2 ·
Sedan and coupe have a frame around the door windows, and a sharper more vertical roof line profile in the back. Sedans I guess have 4 doors and coupes have two although I have heard coupes described as "2 door sedans". A sedan/coupe is also called a "post", because it has a "post" between the front and back windows.

A hard top has no frame around the door window, and hence no "post" between the front and back side windows. They come in 2 and 4 door versions in a lot of makes and models.

Generally speaking the higher performance goodies were available on the hard tops more than the sedans but there are exceptions to this.

There may be other differences, but these are the obvious ones that come to mind off the top of my head.

#4 ·
Andy69 wrote:
Sedan and coupe have a frame around the door windows, and a sharper more
vertical roof line profile in the back. Sedans I guess have 4 doors and coupes have
two although I have heard coupes described as "2 door sedans". A sedan/coupe is
also called a "post", because it has a "post" between the front and back windows.

BobFmTyler wrote:
Coupe and 2 door hard top are the same. Sedan (or post car) has a frame around
the windows. 4 door hardtop has no frame around windows.

Is a coupe and sedan the same or not?? Both say sedans are post cars. ok but what about coupe and hardtop the same?? If so why the two names?

Thanks for the replys guy's
Tom

#7 ·
Sedan is the post-cars (can be 2 or 4-door)
Hardtop have no post (also can be 2 or 4-door)

I've always considered the "coupe" to be the 2dr hardtop

Andy doesn't know anything about roofs, his car doesn't even have one. ;) :D :waving: :p

#8 ·
#11 ·
I've always heard it like this.
Sedan= post
Hardtop= no post
Coupe= 2 door (Sedan or hardtop)

Reactions: vortec710
#16 ·
wow, that dark blue thing is an ugly car, i cant quit scrolling back to it to make sure i saw what i thought i saw.

#17 ·
wow

#18 ·
The word Coupe is a friench word (pronounced, coop-ay over there). I beleive they also considered that nomenclature as a 2 door model with no post.

#22 ·
Coupes were ID'ed by how many windows 3 or 5, and sedans were by how many doors 2 or 4, and Roadsters were 1 or 2 door, and Touring were 3 or 4 doors. (wasn't legal to exit the drivers side, so no door). Roadsters and Touring did not have windows, they had curtains. (convertibles had roll up windows)

Pat

#20 ·
i'd a thought they would pronounce it "coo" ...but then, ya never know whats going on in pierre's brainpan

#25 ·
The link does not work.

QUOTE="rubadub, post: 1129469, member: 21168"]
Heres a 69, you will see a piece of chrome moulding on the edge of the window between the front and back window.

When you roll down both windows its all open with no metal post between the front and rear window. This is a coupe or hardtop, same thing

Rob

SeriousWheels: Bollywood, Hollywood News | Movie And TV Series
[/QUOTE]

#26 ·
The link does not work.

QUOTE="rubadub, post: 1129469, member: 21168"]
Heres a 69, you will see a piece of chrome moulding on the edge of the window between the front and back window.

When you roll down both windows its all open with no metal post between the front and rear window. This is a coupe or hardtop, same thing

Rob

SeriousWheels: Bollywood, Hollywood News | Movie And TV Series
[/QUOTE]

This may be a record - a 16y/o thread resurrected

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.