Team Chevelle banner

Who is still around?

2K views 34 replies 28 participants last post by  Robinls5 
#1 ·
Been 5 years ago since I sold the Chevelle, sold off the collection of parts and cleaned out the garage. In hindsight , I do miss going for a drive just wasn't into it after the two year battle I had with health issues. On the positive, time that I used to spend in the garage wrenching has been diverted to other projects, mostly wood working.

#3 ·
Hi Joe, I was just thinking about how you were getting along. Woodworking is fun because shaping it is a lot faster than metal. Turn stuff on the lathe...now that is relaxing! Are you keeping Vince in line, or has he slowed down some?

I did finally get my car to a point of driving it around. I was going to take it to the track last night, but got rained out. It is a lot of fun blasting around during the day or a slow cruise in the countryside on these warm summer nights. You have to miss it.

Reactions: blue_69_malibu
#9 ·
Still see Vince regularly. He's out of the race car projects. Other than his daily, drives an '08 Vette Coupe.

Well there are still a lot of good folks around but thousands have come and gone, never to be seen again.
You have to wonder what happened to some that moved on and why, did they choose a different hobby or just get sick of the site being all about money?
Dean, I think the whole hobby has just changed. Big difference being you can go to any Chevy, Ford or Dodge dealer and buy a performance car again, put down a minimal deposit and drive it 12 months of the year. Everyone I know that had muscle cars (or hotrods) has sold them ( at a loss I might add).

Joe.I remember your car. Good looking and different color combo on it. Do you ever see it around or has it gone afar.
Car went to Kentucky, then to Arizona, Scottsdale area. That's the last I heard.

I'm still around and getting rounder by the day! :thumbsup:

If I ever get this nightmare house built, then I can get my garage built and THEN I can get to work on my Buick which probay will be so far gone at that point it won't be worth doing....
Been in this house 29 years. Turned 60 this past May. Wife and I have talked it over may times. Have far more home here than we need, but going to stay. Been working my way around the house past couple years fixing and freshening up everything to get us another 20 years or more. At least that's the plan.

So how hard was it to get rid of all the parts? Are you planning on getting back I to the hobby? Jim
Craigslist, Ebay, Flea Markets, Word of mouth. Took a while.

Still here....same car and same stash of parts that I too, need to start moving someplace else before I kick the bucket and my kids just throw "dad's junk" away! Don't drive the car as much as I would like (too many other things going on it seems) but when I do take it out it still is just plain fun. When that stops happening, down the road it will go to someone else.
Dad's junk. I get that from my kids also. Of course, everytime they need something fixed, guess where they come!

#10 ·
Although it was a small hassle for me to get back on the site w/o losing my old identity, it's almost like I never left. Never see any pop-ups or any of that other crap that some people seem to see. Heck, I'm not even a paid member yet but I've never been prompted to do so. Without this site, I can honestly say I would not have bought another El Camino. Facebook is ok, I guess, but just doesn't compare to this place,IMO.

Since I left in 2007, I went through a divorce after 35yrs of marriage, lost many loved ones, two life-threatening health scares, and married the love of my life. I've finally recovered, financially and health-wise, so all I want to do is live what's left of my life, healthy and happy. This site helps the latter.

Welcome back,Joe.

#5 ·
I'm still around and getting rounder by the day! :thumbsup:

If I ever get this nightmare house built, then I can get my garage built and THEN I can get to work on my Buick which probay will be so far gone at that point it won't be worth doing....

#6 ·
So how hard was it to get rid of all the parts? Are you planning on getting back I to the hobby? Jim

#7 ·
Still here....same car and same stash of parts that I too, need to start moving someplace else before I kick the bucket and my kids just throw "dad's junk" away! Don't drive the car as much as I would like (too many other things going on it seems) but when I do take it out it still is just plain fun. When that stops happening, down the road it will go to someone else.

#13 ·
I'm still here since 1998. Mostly used this site how to work on the chevelle. No mechanical background outside teaching myself.

#14 ·
I'm still here since '97 or '98. Started with a '69 SS396 4sp with cam, headers, etc., that I restored. Went to a lot of car shows and won a lot of trophies. Later got a '69 Malibu and restored it with stock 350, 200 4R, and factory AC. Got tired of car shows and driving a manual trans hot rod so the SS just sat in the garage. Sold it 3 yr ago and I'm fine with just one, the Malibu old man's car. That shows how time can change preferences and priorities. I've learned much from this site and continue to. Still check in every day and enjoy it.

#20 ·
Been here since 1999. I still check in every day, don't post much anymore. Still own my '69, but when ever the time comes to sell that will be it for me in this hobby.

Things have gotten way too expensive and I'm frankly just tired of wrenching. I didn't even renew my plate sticker this year, so the car will likely sit this summer out. Other things to keep me busy, anyway. Two of my local friends have Chevelles, so I can always ride shotgun with them.

I'm sure the " urge " will hit me again, and the only thing the car is costing me to sit is insurance. I can live with that. It's there when I want it.

Just as a side rant, our licence renewal stickers used to be $90/year way back when I started driving. They went down to $74 and were there for years. Now, in the last couple of years have gone back to $90, now this year $120/year. That was one of my other reasons for not renewing the Chevelle, just P.O'd with the provincial government.

Rant over.:wink2:

#24 ·
Unless you have a special plate, get a historic one. Much less expensive. I did that for a couple of years. I had a hard time buying 2 stickers at full pop just before Christmas.

I sold my car in May. No regrets. I'm loving the use of my garage again. I have gotten lots of little projects done this year, that I normally brushed aside. I'm still looking for a nice 5 window Model A.

Daren

#21 ·
Still here since 98 (when I bought the 70 for the wife), still have it, still have the little trailer and 73 jet boat, still have the 51, still have the 56 Vette, still have the 76 Cutlass (now with a W30 spec 455), still have the T-bucket and still working on the A26.

#22 ·
I'm sure the " urge " will hit me again, and the only thing the car is costing me to sit is insurance. I can live with that. It's there when I want it.
same here. didnt put my tags on last yr either due again
Understand the health thing been about 2 yrs also probably got rust in the cyls...keeps my mind busy though
it sits in storage a lot if it was here I know id be in it. Well see..

#30 ·
Hanging in Chris. Turned the big 60 a month ago. Only thing I own with a V8 is my Chevy truck. Pretty bad when I have to drive the wife's Volvo SUV to get a little acceleration buzz!

Hey Joe! Still here. In fact, I recently used up the last of the HVAC wrap you gave me years back! Same car. The 427 is on its 4th iteration, just lost a head gasket - but dont think the bores will be acceptable one more time ( they were loose last time .00270. - 0032 @ +060. Now I bet they're 4 thou out or more before hone. ) So here's the last iteration of the 427 coming using the old L88 block which needs saddles bored true. No HR yet, will run the same Ultradyne SFT I have and go back to small rectals.

Not racing it at all ( I know I spoke of it before), it really is 99 % HIGHWAY CAR with 1% 1/8-1/4 mi runs. My simple "escape" is jumping in my rat-infested ride and "vibrating" for a few hours to reach wherever the Chevelle family is gathering. :) Priceless decompression right there.

In fact, I'm looking for a project car for junior. Elky likely.

Hope all is well!
Don't blame you on the racing part. That's what got me back involved in car scene, was looking for the casual fun aspect that we knew. For most part, the only time I felt was like the old days were Friday Night Street nights. Was fun for few years then became difficult to stay motivated. I had a conversation with an uncle Joe Jacono (Rolling Stone AA/FC) few years ago, talked about the old days. Back in the 70's he just parked the car one day and never went back. Said racing had went from grass roots to big dollars to even bigger sponsors and bigger dollars, wasn't fun anymore. So he called it quits, just like that.

#25 ·
I'm here, new tho. Young(er) I'd like to think, late mid 30s anyway. I share the hobby my father started me on, he was an avid racer from late 1950s until 1972, I saw these cars when parts were still at wrecking yard. I no longer race because I like to drive to the mountains or coast with my car, fish and camp. In process of finding a painter. My best days would be a fall drive with the radio on and wife smiling next to me.

#27 ·
Hey Joe! Still here. In fact, I recently used up the last of the HVAC wrap you gave me years back! Same car. The 427 is on its 4th iteration, just lost a head gasket - but dont think the bores will be acceptable one more time ( they were loose last time .00270. - 0032 @ +060. Now I bet they're 4 thou out or more before hone. ) So here's the last iteration of the 427 coming using the old L88 block which needs saddles bored true. No HR yet, will run the same Ultradyne SFT I have and go back to small rectals.

Not racing it at all ( I know I spoke of it before), it really is 99 % HIGHWAY CAR with 1% 1/8-1/4 mi runs. My simple "escape" is jumping in my rat-infested ride and "vibrating" for a few hours to reach wherever the Chevelle family is gathering. :) Priceless decompression right there.

In fact, I'm looking for a project car for junior. Elky likely.

Hope all is well!

#31 ·
>>> Said racing had went from grass roots to big dollars to even bigger sponsors and bigger dollars, wasn't fun anymore. So he called it quits, just like that.

He was right IMO. I know a guy who bought a top fuel car, it had raced competitively at an NHRA event within 90 days. That was like 6 years ago, car has never made a pass since. Every time he thinks he has it ready, NHRA passes or expands the rules and requirements and he's out. Guy has spent serious coin and has nothing to show for it.

#32 ·
I stop in but rarely post. Still trying to go fast...........and failing miserably:D I do however remember most of you grey beards!!!

#33 ·
Still here too, and almost every day (Its an addiction)... Hard to believe I'd been hanging out here for almost 20 years...

I am only 50, but I too have been considering downsizing the Chevelle fleet... I still feel like I like to wrench, but I find that I am usually too busy, and two projects that rarely see any wrench time, and the "mostly finished" Chevelle that rarely gets out of the garage... No real other hobbies, but have been spending a lot of time with the kids (early teens) and their sporting activities, plus keeping the wife happy around the house... Unfortunately, the wife and kids have no interest in helping me wrench on the cars...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.