my car is to loud-- neighbor called cops on me - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 7:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

my car is to loud-- neighbor called cops on me

Ok I get up early this morning to go to a local car gathering that happens every Sat. morning here in Huntington Beach at a doughnut shop. Its gotten so popular the last several years that in order to get a parking spot you have to get there by 5:30-6:00 Am . I thought I knew my neighbors pretty well, but I guess I was wrong. I started my car and backed out into the driveway and let it idle for a couple of minutes to warm up while I went in the house to get my hat and house keys, maybe 3-4 minutes max. When I return home there is a buisness size card stuck in the front door that has city of H.B. Police on it and the office name and no. On the back of the card was was written by the officer
"your neighbors are complaining that you are REVING your engine excessivly and disturbing them". I never reved it, it only idled. I guess I`m ****ed because I don`t know which neighbor it was that called the cops, I did nothing wrong but some one thinks I did and didn`t have the BALLS to talk to me personaly about it but instead called in a false report to the police. Anybody else have somthing like this happen?

Jeff

67 Chevelle convertible Ly6 4l80e
68 Nomad Custom Wagon
70 Chevelle Convertible
71 SS 454 Chevelle LS5 W/Build Sheet
72 Chevelle Convertible RJ 502 TKO 600
73 El Camino SS

68 Buick Skylark LQ9 4L65E
72 buick GS 350
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/data/500/P4190076.JPG

http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/da...m/P1010112.JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 7:47 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: my car is to loud-- neighbor called cops on me

yea some ******* says that we have to many cars cept you cant see them cuz there all the way up on the side of the house

65 elcamino painted candy red aero hood scoop. Powered by a blown small block and 4 spd, stoped by 12in discs for you myspace people Girlscuddlebug69
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 7:57 PM
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Hot66ss

Yep, someone called the cops on me for "burning rubber" I had even driven the car that day except to move it in and out of the driveway so i could wash my truck, didnt even touch the gas except to start it.. ERR

Tom

21st Century Performance
(310) 425-8700

67 Velle- AFR headed 509/4L80 Pro-Touring.
70 Chevelle- Latest project
03 Mustang Cobra Terminator 512RWHP/498RWTQ
68 Vette, Documented 427/435hp Tri Power, 4 speed- Sold
70 SS LS6/M22 Documented, black/white stripes- Sold
post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 7:58 PM
Super Mod
Mr Bill

hb,
" I did nothing wrong "
Sorry, but if you have the typical loud exhaust that most of us have on our Chevelles (me included) and you started it up at 5:30 am, I would have been calling the police too. Especially if you let it sit there and idle for even 5 minutes, which seems like an hour if you are trying to get some sleep. Flowmasters behind a healthy V-8 are not music to most people, including me at 5:30 AM.
Just my opinion,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

Enginerepairshop.com

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
1984 Buick Riviera - original owner (Wife's car)
Team Chevelle #100
post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 8:03 PM
Tech Team

Well in a few months I'v got to leave at 6:30 to go to school so I'll see how the neighbors like that.
post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 8:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Kyle

Send a message via Yahoo to justkyle

If it was me I wouldnt worry about it. I would find out what neighbor it was and buy him a beer. Apologize and tell him what you were doing, then tell him that you will try to keep it as quiet as possible. After that, if he complains, let him complain. If your exhaust is legal nobody can do anything about it. I get calls from neighbors in the middle of the day when Im tuning my dirtbike. Some people just like to complain. My dirtbike is no louder than their weedeater that they fire up every sunday at 8 am.

Kyle

70 malibu race car

How to build a proper TFH

post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 8:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Paul

Thumbs up Re: my car is to loud-- neighbor called cops on me

I like the way justkyle is thinking!!

And quiet the SOB down by putting on a couple of short glasspacks in your exhaust as resonators!!

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 8:55 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

I'm not siding with your neighbor, I'm just understanding why he was displeased. Next time, as soon as you start it, back it out and LEAVE! Don't let it sit there and rumble, not even for 20sec. That's what set him off. I'm also set off by my neighbor who lets his FAMILY blast up and down the street on the weekends on dirt bikes. The difference between me and your neighbor is that I personally confronted him about it. He didn't like it, told me I should have said something nicer about it. I told him that he should have had enough common courtesy and consideration for his neighbors that it wouldn't require someone saying something to him. We haven't spoken since------------------but the dirt bikes don't run up and down the street anymore either.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 9:12 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Richy Rich

Send a message via AIM to Hi-po SS 454

hb, I know that Huntington Beach PD is down on LOUD motorcycle notes big time. So on our Cruises down the coast or back up on the bikes we avoid HB. La Jolla same thing, got warned and never went back.
On weekdays when I take the Velle to work I do as you did. The car gets started at about 6:10 am, but I immediately pull it out in to the street and park across the street (no houses on that side of street. Most of the time I turn the engine off till I'm ready to leave, but sometimes I leave the engine running like you did to warm it up. The car has 3 inch exhaust and flowmasters, doesn't seem that loud when I let it idle and go into the house, but not sure how it sounds when your trying to sleep, No buddy complains around here about anything. But during the week most people around here are about to get up or already up to go to work. On weekends, very rare the velle ever makes it out in the morning. If I were you I would not let it idle at your house and just drive off slow than park in front of somebodys house you don't know and set foot at fast idle. J/k

Rich
71 SS MJ 468" 570 HP 608 Torque Hyd Roller M22W (autogear) Muncie 4 sp 12B 3.55 posi...
76 TA SOLD
01 HD Deuce
My Showroom
Walk around vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzkB7RTVDUc
post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 9:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
heathensumbitch

Send a message via AIM to Cecil Send a message via Yahoo to Cecil

Give me your address, so next Saturday I can be there while your car idles and you go back into your house. Your neighbors won't have anything more to complain about...

"Let not the sands of time get in your lunch..." Monty Python
post #11 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 9:45 PM
Senior Tech Team
Dennis

hahaha, I drive mine to work everyday. I leave at 4:30 and go through a 3-5 minute high idle warm-up everyday. 106 lobe ceters and 2-chamber flowmasters. Next time give a few WOT shots to really give them something to biotch about.

We had a POS neighbor growing up so we would run the valves and tune the LS7 running dry stacks in the jet boat every Saturday morning.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
Thomas Jefferson
post #12 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 10:14 PM
In Memory of Kevin
Kevin

OK, lets me play devils advocate for a second....... a neighbor calls the police about a loud car. the police, who can't get to a life threatening accident or bank robbery within 8-10 minutes, get there to your house within 3-4 minutes...... OK, this gets better....... The cops stop, take the time to write something on a business card and drop it on your windshield and leave.......... without EVER talking to you about it.

either 1 of 2 things, A) you had the 'velle idling waaayyyyyyyy longer than 3-4 minutes,......... or (most likely) B), there was NO neighbor who called it in. The cop happened, BY ACCIDENT, to be driving down the road when you were walking inside and thought that blaming the neighbors would be easier than you complaining to his sargent about him harrassing a law abiding citizen with a LEGAL exhaust system......... whatchoothink?????? you said you've never had problems before, now all of a sudden................????????

Some people say I have too much stuff for my garage, I say I have too little garage for my stuff
If some is good, more is better and too much is just right
"When used separately, women and alcohol can be alot of fun...... But when you mix 'em, they'll turn you into a dumbass" - Red Foreman
post #13 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 10:37 PM
DjD
Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old, fat, bald guy
OK, lets me play devils advocate for a second....... a neighbor calls the police about a loud car. the police, who can't get to a life threatening accident or bank robbery within 8-10 minutes, get there to your house within 3-4 minutes...... OK, this gets better....... The cops stop, take the time to write something on a business card and drop it on your windshield and leave.......... without EVER talking to you about it.

either 1 of 2 things, A) you had the 'velle idling waaayyyyyyyy longer than 3-4 minutes,......... or (most likely) B), there was NO neighbor who called it in. The cop happened, BY ACCIDENT, to be driving down the road when you were walking inside and thought that blaming the neighbors would be easier than you complaining to his sargent about him harrassing a law abiding citizen with a LEGAL exhaust system......... whatchoothink?????? you said you've never had problems before, now all of a sudden................????????
Might want to re-read his post, the cop came after he left his house for the cruise-in and before he returned... You don't like the police do you?
post #14 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 10:39 PM
Senior Tech Team
Chad

heh been there, except they never went to the cops, instead they complained every day, to my parents, that the exhaust from my car smells bad (it was running rich, that smell you love haha), and that they want me to not let it idle in the driveway. Its 30 degrees out, I would let it idle for no more than 2 minutes MAX, which wasn't hte best for the car, but i was trying to be as nice as possible, and they still complained, honestly they can go **** themselves, you couldn't smell it my house, and its closer to the car than theirs, they need to check over their house if the fumes are able to get in that easily.

Deal with it people, do you really think all your complaining matters in the end? I'm still going to school tommorrow, i'm still going to start up my car, i'm still going to let it idle, it passed inspection, it passed emissions, it doesn't have to pass your approval.

Chad - 1972 Chevelle SS
- Trick Flow 62cc Heads
- RPM Intake, Speed Demon 650 VC/EC
- Voodoo 276, Hooker 1 5/8 Headers
- Muncie m20, 3.73's + posi coming soon to appease that cam..
post #15 of 95 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 05, 10:53 PM
Hey You!

Let them call. Love it when junior pulls the black & white into the driveway. They always tell me which weiner dialed their number.

Yo-ho Yo-ho a pirate's life for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.