Team Chevelle banner

Is this a real 69?

5K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  69SHEVL 
#1 ·
This car was posted in my local Craigslist. They say they have the title stating it is a 69 Chevelle Malibu. I've only seen this bodystyle in 1970. Am I missing something? Was there a late model year switch?

https://huntington.craigslist.org/cto/6144812086.html

#3 ·
That's what I told the guy, but "he knows what he has, and it's a 1969 Chevelle". I was just trying to help keep him from misrepresenting that car to a potential buyer.

#4 ·
Its not worth trying to change some poeples minds. Some guys thinks your trying to scam them. Maybe this guy really does have a title for a 69 cbevelle. I would verify the vin to the title. I went to buy a 86 honda350x off a guy once. It was titled so I verified the vin to the title and it turned out he had a 85 350x and a 86 title and the numbers were nowhere close. Of course he tried to tell me it was a typo on the title. Jim

#8 ·
LoL, I emailed him images of a 69 vs a 70.

Then I requested a pic of the trim tag (so I could show him the model year in the upper left corner). Silence...

Reactions: Shane 69 Hugger
#10 ·
Wow. And I thought my 70 Elky looked bad. The car in the CL add looks like it spent time as saltwater artificial reef somewhere.

No offense but that's not worth $2000 after what I have learned about these cars.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Gosh no, I would never buy that thing. I just saw the ad and noticed it wasn't a 69 like he claimed. I have a 68 Camaro project I'm currently working on. After the Camaro I'm going to try to find a 66 Chevelle (my favorite all time car).

#14 ·
Well I emailed him as well...

This is his reply.

"Apparently you don't know what your talking about, it's a69, my father has a 1970 Chevelle SS that he purchased brand new that is inmint condition and has been garage kept for approximately 47 yrs, so yes weknow what we have, apparently you don't know what your talking about"

#20 ·
I couldn't resist emailing him :)

Me: Uh, this is a 70, not a 69. It might have been built in 69, but its a 70' model. The interior, including the panels, are for a 1970, the rear and front panels are from a 1970 too. It's very easy to identify at a glance too - 69 has tail lights recessed in the body, 70 has them mounted inside the bumper.

His response:
I have the original title so I know what I'm talking about, funny you say that because I've gotten emails telling me what a gem I have
I can understand goofing up a 66/67 or 70/71 etc where the differences might not be obvious. But the list of differences between 69/70 is huge - almost like insisting you have a 65 when its clearly a 66.

#24 ·
The good part of the story is that the 70 Chevelle is a desirable year/sharp car as well, so as long as the buyer likes what he's getting then I guess it all works out. The new owner will eventually figure it out.

#32 ·
^^This. However, I thought he had just made an honest mistake.

#35 ·
Ya'll snowflakes are cracking me up. Getting your panties in a bunch about some guy on craigslist or ebay is just priceless. Lol. Bingo night in the rec-room must have been cancelled so you thought you'd entertain yourselves by trying to help someone that didn't ask for your help and doesn't want your help. Why you get so upset because someone doesn't react to your unsolicited "help" they way you want is kinda sad, really. B-16!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.