1973 Trans Am SD-455 - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 5:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
1973 Trans Am SD-455

I actually like the way these cars looked back in the day: Pontiac Trans Am SD-455: Did Pontiac Save its Best Muscle Car for Last?

1971 Malibu, Full Rally interior (Factory SS Type), 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61TTYXmIsc

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFm_ISn_UDA

Last edited by WakkoWarner; May 19th, 17 at 9:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 6:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
rick

Garage
Re: 18=973 Trans Am SD-455

Very cool story on those cars, I had a '76 T/A 400/400 for 7-8 yrs but the EX ended up with it

A mans castle is his garage mines a castlette
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 20th, 17, 1:21 AM
Cam
Gold Founding Member
Cameron Milne

Re: 18=973 Trans Am SD-455

When everyone was in panic mode and scrambling to meet the emission standards by deadline, Pontiac had the audacity to also produce the very potent, tougher to smog SD-455. It was delayed during certification & reworked. That spelled the end of the idea of offering the Super Duty in any A-body Pontiacs. I had heard from one source that after getting all the special unique parts cast or forged, a lot of parts sort of left the plant in lunch boxes. The article stated on the other hand that the delay in getting the Super Duty to market and the knowledge of the special parts caused a bit of a parts counter run on the stockpile of parts from which to make the engines. Both seem plausible.

I like the way they explain why the Formulas with SD power got the shaker rather than the twin scooped hood, basically it was expedient.

Oldsmobile was also seriously toying with the idea of an emissions-legal production 1974 W30 455. They had the engineering toy at the proving grounds in the summer of '73. Seeing the EPA delays that Pontiac had, plus the Arab oil embargo of October 1973 a few weeks after 1974 introduction, deflated any hopes of getting it to market. The market for 8 to 10 mpg supercars died right there, after being wounded first by insurance then by emissions.

Chevy had toyed with the idea of an LT-1 -ized 400 around 1972 with an eye towards emissions and the impending demise of the 402 BBC. It would have been very potent in a Camaro or Nova as they prepared to enter the malaise era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelrick View Post
Very cool story on those cars, I had a '76 T/A 400/400 for 7-8 yrs but the EX ended up with it
EX says it all. My brother's friend bought new a gold '78 Trans Am special edition with the Fisher T-tops, 15x8 snowflakes, T/A 6.6 & 4-speed, 3.23 Safe-T-Track and seemingly all the toys. His EX got the car, which she drove year round, didn't really know how to drive, and neglected through ignorance.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

~Thomas Edison~

My Showroom
TC Gold #120
My completely stock 67 Malibu Sport Coupe 6 cyl
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 20th, 17, 1:31 AM
Senior Tech Team
Sheepster. BAH!

Re: 1973 Trans Am SD-455

GMs version of a Mopar=Trans Am.

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 20th, 17, 3:38 PM
Tech Team

Question Re: 1973 Trans Am SD-455

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuisinartvette View Post
GMs version of a Mopar=Trans Am.

(???)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.