Battery life - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 1:42 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Battery life

How often are you guys replacing batteries on occasional-use vehicles? It occurred to me the other day that I am coming up on 8 years with the battery in my Nova. I'm wondering if I should start getting nervous about it failing at the worst possible time / place? The car is only driven ~2000 miles each year, and I keep it disconnected anytime the car is parked in the garage (even overnight). Not seeing any signs of impending failure, but I wonder if I should start thinking about proactive replacement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 1:51 PM
Tech Team

Garage
Re: Battery life

When mine hit 7 years, I got that feeling as well and headed off any future problems by replacing it. Peace of mind while on the road. I used to do that with the rubber hoses as well on my daily drivers, but every 10 years. In the Navy they called that preventive maintenance. Maybe getting too paranoid the older I get.

66 SS-396/425 - M22 -3:73 -12 bolt
USN-SSBN 645-G
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 2:22 PM
Senior Tech Team
Ed

Garage

after 7 years, even if it works fine, swap it out. You got your monies worth out of it. But another of the same to support whoever made a good one.

1967 El Camino Malibu Deepwater Blue
ZZ4 350 FiTech 600 (In Progress), 700R4, JGC Steering, 1990s serpentine.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 2:26 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Batteries are kind of hit and miss. My grandma drove a 1978 Impala that she bought brand new. Around 1997 the original battery had to be replaced. Other batteries last just past the warranty. The nice thing about batteries is they are a universal part that is easy to get anywhere. If it starts failing on a road trip you can get one at any parts store.

1969 Beaumont
1977 Bronco
The rest are boring responsible adult vehicles not worth mentioning.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 2:54 PM
Senior Tech Team
Sheepster. BAH!

x2 on replacing, keep the old one & trickle charge it just in case you need one
(had to recharge my old optima last night saved a AAA call)

Quote:
This post is a duplicate of a post that you have posted in the last five minutes.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 3:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

With a multi meter you can check the voltage. Make sure it is fully charged then check the voltage. A good strong battery should read in the 12.8v to 12.9 volt range. If you get a reading in the mid to low 12's it's getting weak. I keep a Battery Tender Jr on my batteries. It also helps longevity. Have been averaging around 8 years or better...

My Showroom
69' SS396 Chevelle L78 396/375hp M-21 Close Ratio Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!
02' Harley FatBoy, Diamond Ice Pearl and lots of chrome!
ACES# 3466
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 4:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer4x4 View Post
after 7 years, even if it works fine, swap it out. You got your monies worth out of it. But another of the same to support whoever made a good one.
Yeah... you are right. It bugs me though. I feel like I am always replacing tires and batteries on the "hobby" vehicle before they are "used up". I guess it beats getting stranded somewhere at 10 PM on a Sunday.

It was a Carquest battery made by Deka. Never had a need to put it on a charger, and it's never caused any problems. I disconnect the battery everytime I put the car in the garage, cause it helps me sleep better at night (50 year old wires in some places and no fusible links on these old cars).
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 4:41 PM
Tech Team
Red

I'd replace it. The longest I've ever had a battery last is 7 years and a bit. An Interstate battery in my 78 C-20 P/U went from August of 1992 to Nov of 99.

Sometimes a man's got to do what a woman would never consider.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 4:48 PM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Just replaced a red top Optima that I installed in March 2010. I think c what killed it was my car was being restored for the last 12 months that I had that battery. In that 12 months it was only started a couple times and run for 2-3 minutes. Prior to the restoration I kept it on a trickle charger.
I have gotten as little as two years with other batteries but don't think I had those on a trickle. So 7. Years is my longest.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 4:52 PM
Tech Team
gary

Replaced my 8 yr old one.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 4:52 PM
Tech Team
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadude View Post
I disconnect the battery everytime I put the car in the garage, cause it helps me sleep better at night (50 year old wires in some places and no fusible links on these old cars).
Get a Battery Brain, it hooks up in line with the positive cable and has a key fob remote to shut the power off at will. good for when parked overnight or when in storage. also good as an anti theft deterrent when out somewhere with the car.

it can be mounted several ways, on the top of the battery, the side of the battery, or even off the battery on the core support for example so it is out of sight.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sms-t3-12v

"Don't You Know It's All Ball Bearings These Days"

1970 Chevelle SS 454
More Chevelle
Fear This...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 5:27 PM
p40
Tech Team
butch

Garage

i would have it load tested, itcould show 12 volts and and still fail under load test
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 6:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispicide35 View Post
Get a Battery Brain, it hooks up in line with the positive cable and has a key fob remote to shut the power off at will. good for when parked overnight or when in storage. also good as an anti theft deterrent when out somewhere with the car.

it can be mounted several ways, on the top of the battery, the side of the battery, or even off the battery on the core support for example so it is out of sight.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sms-t3-12v

Battery Brain - YouTube
That's kinda neat. Never saw one of those before.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 9:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Jim

Anywhere from 3 -10 years has been my luck. That's usually on DD though, so they go through the -30 to -40 starts from time to time.

Jim

77 Monte
421 Profilers ported by Eric W. Straub HR 3200 conv. from Jake 200-4r w/ 3.73's
Machine work by Torvinen's machine
12.15 @ 112 & tuning
67 Imp.SS for the wife 275 hp 327-TH350

http://myweb.midco.net/77cruiser/
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old May 20th, 17, 5:37 PM
Tech Team
Joe

I guess I'm going to be looking for a new Interstate Mega-Tron. The one in my '72 is dated 2004. It still starts very well though. I have no add-on equipment but, I was thinking it's time.
I sold my 1970 C/10 pick-up in 1988 with the original Delco battery in it. Still working well too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.