Sks? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Sks?

I was just wondering how many of you guys down south shoot an SKS? I have 3. One original and two with aftermarket stocks and magazines. Ammo is cheap, $299 for 1500 rounds of milsurp at Cabelas. Just clean rifle every time you use it with milsurp and its OK. They all shoot pretty decently for what they are, cheapo surplus commie rifles. I have one with a decent 3x-12x scope and it shoots pretty tight groups at 200 yards. The big thing in Canada is that it is legal and unrestricted. You can shoot it legally anywhere that is safe, unlike my AR and handguns which can only legally be used at a designated shooting range. I have a range set up on my 80 acres and have a blast with SKSs. A few buddies come out, give them a mag and shoot away. Also, what are you paying in the US? Usually $239 at Canadian Tire, bit more at Cabelas up here. I have a dozen guns now beside my SKSs but at $1.50 to $2 a shot they are not as much fun. The gun laws up here are nonsense. AR is restricted and an SKS, which does the same job as an AR, you can buy and use just like an old .22. Idiot Lib government likes to restrict the "scary" looking firearms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 10:55 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage
Re: Sks?

I love my SKS. I picked it up several years ago at a garage sale. I have this stock on it: TAPCO® INTRAFUSE® It also has a Truglo 2X red/green dot sight on it and is very accurate. I added a bipod (the gun is quite heavy, so it is more comfortable to shoot it while prone), but I need to upgrade it to a better quality unit.

When I got it, it had a removable 30 round magazine, but that broke the very first time I shot it. So I obtained a factory fixed 10 round well magazine and have had no problems ever since. I am contemplating converting over to use AK-47 magazines - should be reliable with the steel ones. I think I paid $200 or $250 for the weapon (this was back when they were pulling some decent money, but the seller didn't know that).

1971 Malibu, Full Rally interior (Factory SS Type), 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61TTYXmIsc

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFm_ISn_UDA
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 11:35 AM
Team Member
Dave

First class gun for the money, you can still get one out of the crate, arsenal refurbished with sling, ammo pouch,logbook and cleaner for $400. And I hear they are easy to convert to burst fire, just what I hear anyway...

"WE are the people that our parents warned us about!"
"SSuper Dave" Palmer
A.C.E.S. #1483 TC #32 Gold
1970 El Camino Custom, 350/300, needs paint, rust free Arizona car
1968 Caprice coupe, Ash Gold/Ivy Gold, 327/300hp, rally wheels, disc brakes, buckets, console, am/fm and tach dash, tilt and a/c.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 12:08 PM
Gold Member

I have one Yugo and one Russian SKS. Like them both and would like to find a Polish one just to round out the collection. There are some good reviews on the Chinese arsenal refurbished ones that have come on the market recently.

Why is there a difference in the shooting rules between the AR and the SKS? What is the logic?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 12:33 PM
Tech Team
wayne

I have two of the Russian made ones. great shooting rifles. As you said very cheap to shoot, even my girlfriend likes to shoot them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 1:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Wink Re: Sks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
I have one Yugo and one Russian SKS. Like them both and would like to find a Polish one just to round out the collection. There are some good reviews on the Chinese arsenal refurbished ones that have come on the market recently.

Why is there a difference in the shooting rules between the AR and the SKS? What is the logic?
Liberal government = zero logic. Both rifles have the same capabilities. One is black, the other has a wooden stock therefore not as scary. The barrel length has to be 18" in Canada to be non-restricted as well, because it is MUCH EASIER to conceal a 16 1/2" barrel than an 18" barrel. I think the Libs ultimate goal is to outlaw anything that fires a projectile because that will solve our non-existent gun problem. The gangbangers in Toronto who get their guns from Detroit will then become model citizens because their already illegal guns will somehow be more illegal. Makes sense to someone, just not me.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 2:10 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

From what I understand, you guys in the frozen north still get to import surplus 7.62x39. Only surplus we get is the occasional yugo M67 but it's not cheap. I picked up a new 1989 sks-d last year, it's the Chinese one with the spike bayonet and takes the ak mags from the factory. Haven't shot this one yet, only because it's still never been fired. But I did have the sported sks that also took the ak mags. Cool little carbine. Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed latest project.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 5:06 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Brian

Garage

We have stupid gun laws in this country, too. If you make any modifications to your SKS, it becomes an 'evil imported weapon'. However, if you take the foreign part count down to 10, then it is magically considered a U.S. made weapon. Utter and complete stupidity. Here is a page that attempts to help people understand the ignorance: TAPCO - Section 922r Compliance

1971 Malibu, Full Rally interior (Factory SS Type), 377 roller cammed small block, Turbo 400, 3.42 10 bolt posi (Buick), - All your base are belong to us.

My Chevelle w/ open headers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q61TTYXmIsc

My Chevelle w/ 2.5 pipes + X crossover/18 inch glass packs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFm_ISn_UDA
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 19th, 17, 5:18 PM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

Fortunately nobody understands the 922 rules. I think the atf doesn't even enforce it. Like a ak47 needs 6 us made parts included by the manufacturer. But if you buy a wasr and swap out some parts yourself it's okay since you aren't the manufacturer or importer. But the atf can consider just installing a magazine manufacturing a gun on a agent's bad day. Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed latest project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.