Team Chevelle banner

My 66's Birthday

563 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Cam 
#1 · (Edited)
51 years ago today I purchased my 66 upon returning from Germany after a four year tour of duty in the USAF. Ordered it in Germany and took delivery in Brooklyn New York. Getting out of NYC was a real challenge for me considering I am from a small southern town in Alabama lol. It is sometimes hard for me to believe I have hung on to this car for 51 years. Even when I went remote to Korea, Vietnam and Iceland, with the help of my brother storing the car in a garage in Mobile Ala, I kept her. I am so very glad that I did so.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Happy Birthday Jesse !! It's rare that someone holds onto a car for 50 years. My buddy down the street bought his 66' new in Camden New Jersey when he lived there. Still has it, and was his daily driver back in the day. Then he dropped a 427 in it and raced it at Atco Dragway for years. I'm a youngster... only had my 66' for 12 years.
Thanks for your service :thumbsup:

#3 ·
You are welcome and thank you for the nice comments, I also drove mine as a daily driver for 20+ years in the AF and finally parked it in 1986 until 1998 until I could start restoring it. Also had it in Europe in 1976 and visited numerous countries with our family. Thanks again.

#5 ·
Jesse,
We're going to need to see more photos of the engine compartment and interior. Please get out the kodak and get busy. Your garage photos are a little limited and we need to see your car.
Craig
BTW - As i said yesterday, beautiful car and story. I'll bet the overseas people really got a kick out of the big block. Most haven't seen anything over a few liters.

#9 ·
Did you pick it up at a dealer in Brooklyn? If so, which one? I'm from NYC & it always interests me when Chevelles from that area are still around.

I also think its beyond cool that you got to take the car to Europe. :cool: Can't imagine too many Chevelles have returned to the States once they've left the continent. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
It is safe to say that your Chevelle is a big part of your life.

I remember an old muffler chain advertisement from 1976 that offered a lifetime of muffler replacements. They showed the same car & owner through dramatizations (a 76 Grand Torino). They said we'll offer you replacements whether you keep your car 2 years (car looks decent), 3 years (a few battle scars), 5 years (not afraid of a confrontation), 10 years (rough), 15 years (beater), 20 years (surprising good), or 50 years (showroom condition). Of course the owner ran through young adulthood to senior citizenry.

:beers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.