try not to rush through a project. - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 17, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
try not to rush through a project.

The 66 went from a rolling carcass in november '15 to a registered and running small block 4 speed car in june of 16. In the back of my mind its always been big block 4 speed 12 bolt, buckets etc. (No SS stuff).
To get the car going I compromised and used a 350 I had, flip flopped on the buckets and bench a few times and settled on redoing the bench seat.
Found a set of 8" ralleys for cheap and found the tires just rubs on bumps.
So its been on the road for 10 months and I went from ralleys to drag lites, and finally settled on what I really wanted (torque thrust Ds).
I keep looking at the big block stuff just sitting here and wishing I would have taken the little extra time and money to install the 454.
I did new springs, rear sway bar, shocks etc in the back of the car. Theres a 12 bolt posi still sitting in the shed. Again, I should have just spent the extra day and installed it over the stock 10 bolt.
Had a set of 68 bucket seats that I finally sold so I wouldnt change my mind again on the seats. Bought new cushions, and covers for the bench, installed them and they are nice. BUT
Im going to look at another set of buckets for the car this weekend that of course needs everything.
Theres a little rust on the corner of the rear window. Again, before I installed the package tray. I wished I would have pulled the rear window and fixed the rust.
I guess the moral of the story is, to have patience when playing with old cars. Theres plenty to do to these things. Sometimes it makes more sense to do it once correctly OR make a plan and stick with it so you dont have to redo stuff because you got in a hurry.
Of Course, On the flip side of the coin, Ive been drving the car every weekend since last June when I got plates for it. If I would have waited for all the stuff I really want to do to the car, the check book would be empty and the car would still be on blocks.
Sorry, Rant over!
OH, and when you get stuck on a problem and decide to move onto something else. DONT take the part that you were having issues with and put it away so you dont lose it. 5 months later its really irritating when you cant find that little part that you so carefully put away so it wont get lost.
Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed latest project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 17, 11:56 PM
Administrator

Garage
Re: try not to rush through a project.

Quote:
Of Course, On the flip side of the coin, Ive been drving the car every weekend since last June when I got plates for it. If I would have waited for all the stuff I really want to do to the car, the check book would be empty and the car would still be on blocks.
Sorry, Rant over!
Exactly Jim, had my wagon since 2012, gathered parts for years. Have been working on it steady since Jan 2015 and still not driving it. Also the longer it is on blocks the more things one can find to modify driving up the cost of the build.

Team Chevelle Gold Founding Member #42
72 Concours Wagon L29 454, 4L80E, 12 bolt posi 3.31, GM 4 wheel disc brakes
63 Nova wagon
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac

Philip, I was looking at your wagon build and it seems you have a plan of attack and a vision of what you want when its done. I dont go into these things witb any kind of plans. I dont even go into these things with any car in mind. I just luck out in finding something, then take the parts that ive been collecting and try to use what I have first. Its not a real plan but its actually worked well for me. If I had the room I would look for another car or el camino to bring back from the dead. Fortunately im out of room so I try not to look too hard.

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed latest project.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 1:46 AM
Senior Tech Team
Lang

Garage

Jim.....look at it this way....your car is running/driving, try as I do, between the babysitting and trying to work on two houses, my Chevelle still has gotten no farther than the Video of me getting it started. Every time I try to move it something comes up. But I keep hoping.

Ideas are like children: there are none so wonderful as your own.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 8:02 AM
Tech Team
Deon

Garage

Something I found is that when you rush you end up doing it over and over and over to get it right. My wife just expects me to tell her about the 3 time it takes me to install to get it right.

72 Chevelle, 454, TH400, 3:73's
My Website
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 8:57 AM
Tech Team
Robert

I am at the stage right now where car show season is coming up and I know thats going to get me to want to finish my car. I am not even close to finishing this thing though. By fall my plan is to have a rolling chassis. I am finishing up welding in the ABC frame boxing kit this week, grinding some more( man this makes a mess), and then it will be off to the powder coater. I pretty much have all suspension parts ready to go. So I will need to gather brakes and wheels this summer and fall.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 9:43 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bill

Philip, you are so much further along on your wagon in the 5 years you have had it than I am on my 56 210 2 door sedan that I've had for 10 years this month. Good thing I've got my 66 Malibu to keep me happy for now.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 10:25 AM
Tech Team
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SS454Chevelle View Post
Something I found is that when you rush you end up doing it over and over and over to get it right. My wife just expects me to tell her about the 3 time it takes me to install to get it right.
Sometimes even when I don't rush it takes multiple attempts to get things right either due to bad decisions or poor quality parts. Just recently, it took three clutch set-ups just to minimize(not eliminate) clutch chatter, and three steering boxes(and pump set-ups) to get it to feel right. Still have to drive it more before I'll know for sure where I'm at. Car show/cruise season is on now so only small projects for a while. The wife just doesn't get why good isn't good enough.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 1:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tony

Garage

I have been in both camps, and often at the same time...

For my 66 SS, I started formulating a plan, disassembled the car, buying parts and saving money... But that was 32 years ago, and the car still hasn't really changed. I do have LOTS of parts sitting around, just can't get myself to spend the time to put them on...

Of course, over that 32 years period, my plans for the car changed, several times, so some parts no longer met my new vision... Or there are the parts duplicates that I forgot I had already purchased (I think the front-to-rear brake lines, I ended up purchasing 3 sets, because I forgot I already had them.).

Lots of other cars have come and gone in the interim. ALL were "keepers" until I decided to eventually sell ( never intentionally flipped one, but often wonder why I didn't try)...

But most of those other cars had compromises that I later wished I had done different, just because its what I could afford or what I had on hand...

Then there were all those parts I was hoarding... Sold a bunch, and now wish I had a few pieces back again...

IMO, when you have a long-term project, you need to also have something "done" to enjoy and cruise...

10 years ago, I sold my '66 convertible, and had a plan to "really" start on the SS hardtop... But I knew I'd need something to drive in the interim. Didn't care what it was. I eventually found my '70, but turns out I couldn't let that be, and started sinking time and money into the 70... And yes, some things on the 70 I have changed again, because I was rushing. For example, I removed the "working" Air Conditioning (compressor seal slung oil) to replace with Vintage Air... 5+ years later, still never got A/C again...

My current plans for the '66 SS was to have it running and driveable by late summer, with all new suspension/chassis/brakes/steering and wiring, and figure I'll worry about paint some future day...

Of course, I force myself (through guilt) to work on other projects first (wife's car need a power steering hose and oil change, '70 needed a carb rebuild, wife wanted the fence painted, bought a new gazebo (needs assembly), decided to R&R some trees, my El Camino needs a new intake, and I need to repair some small rust spots so I can get the glass back in (once thats "driveable" I can sell my S10 pickup... of course, the S10 has a few needed things before then)...

Did I say I wanted my 66 driveable by late Summer 2017? I think I really meant 2018...

Once you go RAT, you never go back...
TC #1366
'70 Chevelle 427 Stroker
'66 Convertible Sold
Dual Quad 396 & Conv Int
'66 SS L78
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 3:36 PM
Senior Tech Team
The Fat Stig

I have a tendency to rush through projects and be disappointed with the results. I'm always having to slow myself down so that can get the outcome I want but also more importantly to enjoy the process.

I recently had to do that with my ebay store. I was rushing to get as much stuff listed as possible but I was making mistakes in identifications and condition and I was having to take a lot of returns because of it. Now I'm much slower and more deliberate and take the time to look stuff up and closely examine it. It's much more enjoyable now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

SuperAndy's Garage

Automotive Archaeology
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 3:38 PM
Tech Team
Jason

Garage

I agree with you! I'm much more patient now than with my last Chevelle. The last Chevelle was good, but not exactly how I wanted it but it was nice enough that I couldn't justify tearing into it to change a few things but wished I had prior to getting it to that driveable point.

Jason
San Francisco, CA
67 Chevelle convertible
396/5 speed
In progress
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 5:50 PM
T_R
Tech Team
Tom

I've done things twice it seems. On my 66 I cleaned up 6 cylinder, put a 4 barrel on it etc, then pulled it out and put in a 454. I rebuilt the 3 speed, then pulled it out and put in a TK0 600. I put aftermarket buckets in then got the original bench redone and put it back in. Now I'm putting a posi in the 10 bolt. I already know I really need a 12 bolt eventually. All of this was in the last year. Most of this has happened because I like using it as a daily driver, so I just do whatever to keep it on the road, then get better stuff later.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 7:03 PM
Tech Team
Tim

Garage

Patience is a very valuable tool to have in your toolbox.
That and a healthy bank account.
Between 1975 and 1985 I had 5 different 69 novas and 7 various 68/69 chevelles, sold the last one in 85
Fast forward to Sept 2016, I bought a 68 El Camino
My Lord how parts prices changed!!
I'm slowly putting the current car into good shape, but I refuse to "half ass" anything, so the only real delays are coming from a shortage of parts funds.
Patience..............It'll get there.

68 ElCamino
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 7:22 PM
Boldly procrastrinating
Tom Terrific II

Garage

TOny

>>>Did I say I wanted my 66 driveable by late Summer 2017? I think I really meant 2018...

just go with 201x, covers all the bases. or if things get really iffy, there's always 20xx.

Tom Terrific or Terrible Tom, depending on the phase of the moon, passing cosmic rays or other factors not fully understood except by my wife.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 17, 8:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to davewho1

No chance of rushing here - 38 years and counting.

David

1966 Fremont 11A, SS396/L35 coupe - 1 of 66,843

MM/763; A01; A39; A51; D55; M35; N40; U14; U63

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/307290...rolet-chevelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.