Car Show Umbrellas - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage
Car Show Umbrellas

It is somewhat hard to imagine in February, especially in PA that the summer months with car shows and screaming hot sunny days are ahead. Show us what you have for such a situation. I have seen items as small as something that is for one person and attaches to their chair to modified patio table umbrellas that fit several. Of course there are the mini tents, but I am not wanting to go that far. Looking for something that will fit in my Chevelle trunk that already has a spare and jack combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 12:14 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Car Show Umbrellas

Whatever you do, make sure you have it secured, My Dads Mustang was damaged at a show when one of those umbrellas flew up in the air during a wind gust damaging the body and paint.
Pioneer4x4 and senna like this.

1967 Chevelle Super Sport.
1953 Chevy Bel Air 4 door.
1957 Chevy Bel Air 2 dr Hard Top.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 12:24 PM
Tech Team
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Malibu View Post
Whatever you do, make sure you have it secured, My Dads Mustang was damaged at a show when one of those umbrellas flew up in the air during a wind gust damaging the body and paint.
I was going to say the same thing, even a hand held umbrella can do damage in the wind or in the hand of a careless person.

That being said, I can see the need for some sort of cover. I think the portable tents are the best option. If waited down it would take some serious wind to move it. If there was serious wind everyone should have put their flying object away.

66 CHEVELLE
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 1:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage

Also some car shows don't even allow any kind of shade things just cause of the damage they can create.

John
71 El Camino SS
406 SBC M21 3.31 12 bolt
"Quality is always remembered,long after the price is forgotten"
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 1:47 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

We purchased a pair of these last year and they are great. The top doubles as the carrier.
Original Canopy Chair 3.0

70 LS5 convertible
Earliest known LS5
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 2:15 PM
Senior Tech Team
Hank

Garage

Looks like everyone is on the same page about damage occurring from a gust of wind taking your umbrella or tent for a ride and coming down on someones car. Last year I saw one of those tents starting to take off. Thank God there was enough people around to grab hold of it before it did any damage.

71 Malibu, 396BBC, 4 speed, 12 bolt.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 2:30 PM
Tech Team

A few years ago at the Street Machine Nationals, we had a gust of wind lift a buddies brand new tent and flip it into the lake behind us.
Yep, those things can get away from you if not taken down in time or securely anchored.

Jim
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 3:02 PM
Senior Tech Team
Tom

When I go to SOME shows, I tow a small trailer for whatever "stuff" I want to have at the event, such as a popup awning. I have a small folding table to place under the awning along with some folding chairs. I use bridge nails (for those who know what bridge nails are), which I drive into the ground (or asphalt parking lot) with a 5lb hammer, to anchor down the legs of the awning. Instead of driving the nails straight into the ground, I drive them at an angle which secures them better in the ground.

The front of the little trailer has a rack for either a cushion to sit on, or to carry a big ice chest.
I try to be prepared.

Tom Parsons
TC# 474
#3 FOREVER!!!!!
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak. (unknown)
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 17, 7:49 PM
TKG
Tech Team
Terry

Sport Brella | eBay
Not a tent, more than umbrella.

TKG
64 Malibu Coupe
283, Fitech
2004r, 4w discs
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 4:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Steve

We have a 10 x 10 pop-up canopy that we use for SOME car shows, but will not set it up unless we can tie it to a tree or light pole, plus using a screw-in stake at each corner, at an angle as DZAUTO mentioned.

And when we leave our "area", we collapse the lawn chairs and lay them flat on the ground.
SS427Rick likes this.

When I works, I works hard.
When I sits, I sits loose.
When I thinks, I falls asleep.

The '68 L79 Malibu survivor as found in Nov. 2014, in my profile pic.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 5:38 AM
Senior Tech Team

My buddies 32 3 window got a nasty scratch from some jackass with a portable canopy, he was not very happy with the guy. It doesn't take much wind to upset them if you have a 10 x 10 kite in the air.
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 7:34 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

Not a big car show guy, but will use my 10x10 whenever space permits, and whenever staking or strapping it down can work.

I keep it in my trunk at all times.

I use it at the track too, but since 99% of the time, I'm there by myself, I use 2 small ratchet straps to secure it down to the rear of my trailer. That way I can sit there, if need be, or work under the hood in the shade...if need be.

No worries about it blowing away, and/or doing any damage, when I'm in the staging lanes.

Now if it's windy enough for the trailer to blow away...well, then I'm pretty sure all bets are off...lol

Those canopy chairs above are pretty cool. I may pick one up for myself. I'm sure, by myself, it's a bit easier to use than a 10x10 canopy is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	canopy car (800x766).jpg
Views:	52
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	421105  

1971 Chevelle SS "439" 2.1 tons of fun...
11.31@117 w/4.10's, 4200+ stall, QFT SS-830 carb
11.72@115 w/3.90's, 3300 stall, and Fitech GoEFI4
11.51@116 w/3.90's, 3300 stall, and Holley Sniper EFI
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 9:14 AM Thread Starter
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

The canopy chairs do look nice. Id be a little concerned someone may walk off with them when the owner is away looking at other cars.
Wondering about the possibilities of making something out of pvc pipe and a tarp. Could be made inexpensively and made to break down to fit in the trunk. A couple sand bags should keep it from blowing away? Guess it depends on how easy it would be to set up.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 9:20 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Bob

FWIW Brad, I can open and close my 10x10 canopy by myself. It's kind of a PITA, but is plenty do-able.

As long as the ground is semi smooth. I bought 2 of them at Dick's Sporting Goods, for about $60 a pop...I've only used the one, and it's holding up great.

1971 Chevelle SS "439" 2.1 tons of fun...
11.31@117 w/4.10's, 4200+ stall, QFT SS-830 carb
11.72@115 w/3.90's, 3300 stall, and Fitech GoEFI4
11.51@116 w/3.90's, 3300 stall, and Holley Sniper EFI
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 17, 11:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blm View Post
The canopy chairs do look nice. Id be a little concerned someone may walk off with them when the owner is away looking at other cars.
Wondering about the possibilities of making something out of pvc pipe and a tarp. Could be made inexpensively and made to break down to fit in the trunk. A couple sand bags should keep it from blowing away? Guess it depends on how easy it would be to set up.
Brad, they are so easy to operate that if we're leaving to look around, they fold up into themselves and go into the trunk in less than a minute for both.
NickeyChevelle likes this.

70 LS5 convertible
Earliest known LS5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.