Team Chevelle banner

NASCAR Changing Points & Race Format

2K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  12stones 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Ugh.....I have been going to oval track races since the 50's as my Father was a track photographer at 2 tracks and sometimes at 3 depending on the year. I began owning cars since the early 70's until just a few years ago. I tried driving my first year of ownership[ and decided it wasn't for me in 1974 and had a driver since...

That being said, you could say I was a pretty big race fan. Each year, I grow more dis-interested in NASCAR due to the changes. To me, this is another nail in the coffin...

Just get out and race and stop being a puxxxy about it.....If you crash on lap one, you are out. End of story - If you pass the leader on the last lap, then you've won the race. They are trying to make things as complicated as possible so the average joe, like me, has no clue what's happening and that is what makes people go away...

Just my .02....grr

#5 ·
I cannot adequately express how much my wife and I USED TO BE NASCAR fans. We knew who everyone was, who drove what number and what kind of car they had. And for the most part, admired all drivers and taped every race to assure that we didn't miss anything. Those days are LONG gone. The wife NEVER watches a race and I VERY SELDOM have a race on if I have something else to do.
HOW SAD!

Reactions: Pats70ss
#7 ·
Monster Energy drink is the main sponsor and I would guess that's why the change in points. I think its going to drive more fans away

Reactions: Steve R
#9 ·
We need another '79 Daytona 500 finish to bring in some fans. Waaaayyyyy too politically correct and boring now. Nazicar has been going downhill since Sr. died, and really tanked after the market crash in '08. Tickets way too high priced, hotels gouging the fans for big bucks, it's all coming around full circle to the bottom of the tank again. Showing the races on cable and getting the lowest market share ever. Boring product and no drama is what's killed it. The Frances' are too stupid to see it.

#12 ·
It's kind of sad they've had to take seats out of race tracks, to make it look busier for the cameras.

When we went to Michigan years ago, there was very few seats available for a 2 mile oval. They were adding grandstands all the time. We camped with friends there, but still it was $500 just in tickets for the ARCA and qualifying, and a follow the leader race on Sunday.

This new format is brutal, and going to hurt it more.

Daren

#14 ·
I have no idea what they are trying to do....

Changing the race format will surely be the death of the sport as most know it.

With all the changes look for alot more mid age stars to retire like Carl Edwards did, due to lack of interest or "changing the rules of the game" right in his prime. Just think that mid age stars. Drivers from the age of mid 30's an up will more than likely get out of the sport.

I bet Carl Edwards knew this at the time of his retirement.

Sad to see......

#16 ·
I think Edwards retirement has more to do with family than rules changes with NASCAR. He spends his off days with his wide and two small children at the home in Missouri. Most importantly is his wife is a practicing physician that specializes in traumatic brain injuries. He made his money and he's healthy, it's time to get out.

Steve R

#18 ·
While the France family may have started this sport of NASCAR, they will be the ones that will surely kill it as well. Greed, such greed... I was a huge fan but with all of the format changes and the tower calling down for a yellow flag to create drama (something that cost Carl a championship)... Well, the nail for me was when a person can miss 1/3 of the year and still be crowned the 'champion'... there's a lot wrong with that... I watched maybe 6 races last year, well I didn't really watch them, the TV was on but I was doing something else most of the time...

Reactions: 71350SS
#19 ·
I personally think this is a move to appease NBC. Remember last year, every one was bitching that NBC packed it so full of commercials everyone was furious...........now, NBC will go in commercial breaks as long as the "time outs". Half time won't have entertainment, it'll be commercials...........and when they go racing, they revert to the "NASCAR Non-stop" commercial format. Silly. Stupid. Looks like I'll get lots more car stuff done this summer............

#20 ·
It’s no secret that NASCAR wants to court a younger fanbase as the population that watches NASCAR is one of the oldest in sports. And it figures that a driving force of the segment idea is to help break races up to make them more palatable to young fans.
Catering to short attention spans? But then making the race longer in overall time :confused: Wish I would have known this 3 weeks ago I would have canceled my TV service instead of signing a 2 year agreement :mad::angry:

#23 ·
I'm sure he will once the new season starts.

This is such a bad idea, if they had added the bonus points without the break it would have been a great idea. That would have promoted harder racing through out the entire race and would have been easy to explains. This new system comes across as contrived, at best. It would be interesting to find out if the competitors are actually behind the new rules or not.

Steve R

#22 ·
I turned my back on NASCAR when they rolled out the "Car of Tomorrow". Remember that hideous rear wing? That's when it turned from NASCAR to a really long IROC race with 43 drivers. I used to watch every race, flag to flag. Now, if I do watch, it's here and there at best. NASCAR was my NFL (can't stand professional football). It makes Sunday a lot more productive, though. Bring back Rockingham, bring back North Wilkesboro, and make a stop at Road America. I'll consider coming back if those 3 things happen.

#24 ·
The Jr. Mr. France, Could " F!(K up " a FREE Lunch
When I started going to NASCAR races in Charlotte, Between turns 2 & 3 behind the stands, WHAT WAS THERE?
1= A very large shale dump.
2= A water tank that said "CONCORD". ( Nothing else )
3= A row of garages the held race cars for testing
4= Not a speck of grass or asphalt, Just shale dump and a few folks camping.
5= A bunch of my buddies & I would go to the garages and talk to the drivers & Wrench guys, It was not very formal. One time we helped Ernie Ervan push his old FORD to get it started.
6= It was the old saying " Run what you brung , And hope you brung enough "
7= A lot of NON Kosher items were done to the cars. ( Its called cheating and not getting caught )
8= And it was FUN.
9= Now, The camping is so dam far from the track, 1-2 miles. I do believe the France Family ( KASH ) COW, Is just about to go DRY !
10= Bill F. Jr. says=== Its NOT Broken, But we are going to FIX IT anyway ! :nerd: DAAAaaaaa !
Bob

Reactions: davewho1
#26 ·
Yup that might help. The way it is now it is one BIG yawn. Never considered myself a real fan but I would watch a race on occasion. For a long time I have looked at NASCAR as a ...well a more or less very sad situation. If they went to the formula listed above in Randy's reply they would have to stay wth the manufacturers brand engine to get my attention. Current Nascar management could order the cars rebodied and have some sort of generic NASCAR approved engine. That way we go back we go to the old nonsense of cookie cutter cars. Today we have the "approved bodies" sporting decals from whatever brand wants to spend money for an advertising spot.

As it stands now it is YAWN time, time for a snooze because it is a Sunday afternoon in early Feb, it is snowing or raining and the "500" is on.

#27 ·
Casual fans have long complained about the length of races and boredom. Unfortunately today's fans want instant gratification and quick results. The format change is designed to give those feedback points. What NASCAR thinks it has to do to remain relevant in the sports marketing arena, especially to keep a new mega $ sponsor happy, is what they will do.

The pending format change will place more emphasis upon qualifying and being fast right off the truck. It's also going to create a bunch of stressed out drivers. This will likely create even more disparity as some teams will figure out the successful formula and others won't. There won't be any room for a driver to have a failure and then recover within a race.

In the long run I think it hurts competition when you manufacture drama. The old format allowed different drivers to emerge and diversify the fan base. More fans are going to be disgusted when 4-5 teams win all the time and everyone else is a perennial loser. Then they'll have even more sponsor money problems.

I'm not the first to say this but would love to see a touring, mostly stock car racing series that uses crate engines with a claim feature, using modified stock bodies and event-issued tires. Let the manufacturers lobby NASCAR about body configurations and aero packages for their teams. If the manufacturer offers the modification and it's available on the model, it's legal. This would get manufacturers more committed.

As to competition, run 3 heat races of up to 30 cars and a finale made up of the top 10 from each heat. As a result, more racers get involved and it makes more opportunities. You can take the same time format and generate a lot more results. It would cost race teams less money too.

Nothing will happen under the current franchise system wherein the teams live for their guarantee money. That changes only when the big TV money starts to fail due to declining ratings. NASCAR will likely implode under the weight of their past bad decisions. I can't believe we've got teams that start and park. There's a lot wrong with that.

#28 ·
The biggest problem with the new rules is the break between each segment. That's a marketing gimmick, i can't see how the breaks will do anything but extend the time it takes to run a race. They are trying to manufacture drama, I get the idea of trying to make the race more exciting when the racers are just doing laps positioning themselves for a run at the finish. They either should have given out bonus points without stopping the race, or shorten the race so the drivers will push hard the entire length of the event.

Steve R

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.