Team Chevelle banner

The President

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  ssal396 
#1 ·
#2 ·
That's so awesome!

Richard

#7 ·
They shoot what's called a guide line up into the tree. Smaller trees can be done with a throw ball attached to a line. The throw ball is a pear shaped rubber ball on a light line. It's shot as high up in the tree as possible, the pear shaped ball slips back down to the ground, the ball is detached, a safety line is connected to the 1st rope, then the safety line is pulled back up. These big trees may actually require shooting the line up from a neighbouring tree or several in order to get high enough. I've used sling shots used for this also.

#6 ·
out here in cali we have a quite a few groves of these giants ! nor cal coast has a grove named Avenue of the Giants ! its 30+ miles long !!! took the wife and i like 8 hours to drive thru it at 5 mph ! yes it is a must see ! one of the entrances into yosemite has a grove less than a mile from the gate it is awesome ! sad thing in the early 1900's lumberjacks cut some of the very biggest trees down 47-52 ft in diameter the stumps are still in the ground !!! another grove we visit frequently is the sequoia national park with its breathtaking views is the home of the General Sherman Tree my in-laws live 20 minutes from the park ! these trees are along the nothern coast as well as a certain elevation in the high sierras the ocean and climate had something to do with there growth , the seeds from these trees in order to grow new one must pop open during a blazing forest fire i think it has to be around 1500 degrees ! also Big Sur , ca along the coast has the worlds tallest trees ! out here we have the biggest trees in the world ! there is some of these trees out in the wild that are much bigger but only a handful of people know where they are in order to protect their groves they wont disclose their location !

#8 ·
Giant Sequoia trees are quite impressive. Only found (native) in what is now Sequoia, Kings Canyon or Yosemite National parks. It's almost shocking how big they are when you first see them. Equally as impressive are the Coast Redwoods along primarily the northern coast of California. Still within California, you can see some of the oldest living trees in the world - bristlecone pines - located in White Mountains (near Nevada border close to Mammoth Lakes). Just like b&bs69 said about the secret location of worldest tallest tree (a coast redwood), the oldest tree at over 5000 years old is a bristlecone pine in the White Mountains. Pictures do none of these trees justice. They have to be seen in person. It's easily worth whatever is spent to arrive at the base of these trees.

#14 ·
Giant Sequoia trees are quite impressive. Only found (native) in what is now Sequoia, Kings Canyon or Yosemite National parks. It's almost shocking how big they are when you first see them. Equally as impressive are the Coast Redwoods along primarily the northern coast of California. Still within California, you can see some of the oldest living trees in the world - bristlecone pines - located in White Mountains (near Nevada border close to Mammoth Lakes). Just like b&bs69 said about the secret location of worldest tallest tree (a coast redwood), the oldest tree at over 5000 years old is a bristlecone pine in the White Mountains. Pictures do none of these trees justice. They have to be seen in person. It's easily worth whatever is spent to arrive at the base of these trees.
Well... also found in Calaveras County near Arnold, north of Yosemite (but I guess relatively close to Yosemite park Boundary)... Same region, but about 2 hours from the north entrance to Yosemite (at Big Oak Flat), and probably 3+ hours from the groves at Yosemite... From Northern California, its 2+ hours closer than Sequoia or Yosemite groves (someday we'll get there)...

Yes, very impressive... We went here a few years ago, and only made it to the "North Grove" ( about 100+ Giant Sequoias), but they have a "South Grove" a few miles away, with 1100+ Giant Sequoias...

I think the tallest in the North grove were "only" about 250-275 feet tall... But absolutely massive (25+ foot in diameter "near" the base (usually recorded 4.5 to 6 feet above the base) and on an almost unbelievable scale... And while they do taper with height, its not as apparent as with most trees... You look up 200 feet, and they are still very thick...

Hard to see, but even in the first picture of this thread, you can see Giant Sequoia's trunks remain relatively thick until near the top...

#10 ·
Definitely have to see them in person. Went to Yosemite several years ago and I visited Monterey earlier this year and went to Big Sur. Truly Amazing.

#15 ·
sounds like you have seen some of the beautiful sights in california ! i came back about a month ago from arkansas /tennessee/missouri seen the grand ole opry , graceland , branson ,jasper , memphis etc... the ozarks where so beautiful . the caverns and waterfalls at top of the rock are simply amazing ! best of all was the Crater of Diamonds State Park in arkansas , digging for diamonds is by far my most favorite place in the USA ! # 2 has got to be the califotnia coast line !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.