Team Chevelle banner

Has this board slowed down?

13K views 190 replies 83 participants last post by  cv67 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else noticed the lack of posts the last few years?

Maybe it's just me but it seems like there used to be a lot more activity on these forums. I can go days without seeing new posts in forum sections, and a lot more questions are going unanswered than I remember from years past.

Are there any viewable stats for these forums?

#2 ·
I have to agree, not seeing any official stats but it does seem there are less people logged on and less posts.
Another thing I noticed is when I first got my chevelle in 2005, it was real easy to sell parts locally like consoles, bucket seats, monte carlo dash assemblies, 12 bolt rears. Today I think the rearends are about the only thing popular (cant find hardly any when I need one) the other parts you end up sitting on them for weeks. Jim

#5 ·
X2. :( Like you, I noticed that there are sections where the last post often goes back to several weeks. As for selling parts, I've never sold anything through this site… Like you said, I often end up sitting on them but not for weeks, but rather months and sometimes a year! :rolleyes:…Even rearend parts (like gear sets which I have for sale right now), I've never had anyone interested.

Claude.

#3 ·
the site has slowed down a lot. I think part of it was the change on the website. A lot of the older guys seemed to hate it. I find my self on other sites now since the slow down and the change.

#6 ·
For what it's worth, think about how much more expensive this hobby is than it was ten years ago. (Thanks a lot, reality TV d-bags.)

To the extent that 64-72 Chevelles...or all old Chevys....cost so much more these days means less new people are entering the hobby....or so I would think.

At the same time, we're deep into Muscle Car Era #2. Today's new Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, etc are great performing cars....and are reasonably priced.

Something to ponder: you can now buy a nice, well optioned C5 Vette for the same price as a '70 Malibu. Would you rather have a C6 Vette or LS Camaro or new 5.0 Mustang....or a 325 HP 396 SS of some kind?

My point is that at the same time this hobby has gotten really expensive, more affordable and faster alternatives have emerged. I'm not saying these alternatives are better...but they are out there.

#10 · (Edited)
At the same time, we're deep into Muscle Car Era #2. Today's new Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, etc are great performing cars....and are reasonably priced.

Something to ponder: you can now buy a nice, well optioned C5 Vette for the same price as a '70 Malibu. Would you rather have a C6 Vette or LS Camaro or new 5.0 Mustang....or a 325 HP 396 SS of some kind?
Tony: I am of the age that I can remember when the 64-72 Muscle cars were brand new. Couldn't drive them till mid 70's, which we did. So I may be of a generation that looks at classic muscle cars from a different perspective.
A good friend of mine, who grew up owning a 68 roadrunner and a 70 Boss Mustang bought a brand new 2012 Mustang Shelby. At that time he brought it over to my house and insisted that I drive it. I have to say it was very impressive. I told my wife "I want one". She told me no problem, just sell your Chevelle and you can get one. Faced with that choice it is no contest. Although the Shelby mustang is a much better performer it just isn't a classic muscle car. I am quite sure that if I were to sell mine to buy a new performance car I would be longing for the sights,smells and nostalgia that comes with the classics. Many 20 something's would love to own classic Chevelles,Camaros,Mutangs,etc but for the most part those vehicles are out of their price range.
As far as traffic on the website, I think we peaked several/many years ago. Don't know the exact reason for that but maybe people just moved on. I will many times search the archives when researching a project or purchase. When I do I will run across a poster that used to be a regular on this site. You don't realize they no longer use the site till you run across their user name. Just today I was researching some alternator information and I ran across a user that was a moderator on this site. He hasn't posted for 6 or 7 years.

#9 ·
I have always had a tough time posting pictures on here. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. It is very frustrating! I have been fighting signing up on Facebook because of identity theft issues, but with the way this site works off/on, I just might have to cave in. The Northern Ohio Chevelle Club uses Facebook a lot, and I miss out on many activities because of it, but I still resist joining Facebook.

I have been putting off posting a build thread of my Chevelle because it will be waaayyy to difficult, but I will try later this winter. It will also be very depressing to go over all of the problems I've had with it, too! Plus, my car is still in paint jail where it has been all summer! :sad:

Just like this posting. If I hadn't previewed my posting, I would have missed a lot of formatting errors that didn't show up during typing...GRRRRR

#37 ·
I have been putting off posting a build thread of my Chevelle because it will be waaayyy to difficult, but I will try later this winter. It will also be very depressing to go over all of the problems I've had with it, too! Plus, my car is still in paint jail where it has been all summer! :sad:
...GRRRRR
That thread would be going on 10 years ! :boring::D

Ohio Show is only 9 months away, you gonna make it ??

#11 ·
Don't get me wrong, BLM. I, too, prefer the Classics. I was just trying to point out why overall hobby participation may be down some.

As the old saying goes, one man's coffee is another man's tea.......although I'm not sure what Caitlyn Jenner is drinking these days.

Reactions: p40
#14 ·
gotten off topic.
back on topic:

this site has gone downhill since some insecure techie had to flex his diminutive muscles and totally revise the format.

#16 ·
there are a lot of things that are killing automotive forums in general.. they are a trend that has come and gone...tastes change... Chevelles aren't as popular as they once were to the masses and most of them that can be restored have been restored with the rest being parted out or scrapped. a lot of people that used to be here have sold their cars and moved on and/or decided that forums aren't as good a place to "hang out" with other car guys and exchange information as other sites like facebook... i've also noticed that there are a lot more car shows going on these days- not big monster shows, but smaller local gatherings. why would you type something in a box on a computer screen or on your phone when you can drive your car a few miles and hang out with people in real life?

then there is how most people go online on their phones these days, and the mobile versions of sites like this absolutely suck and trying to look at it in the original format on a 4" screen is a real pain.

#17 ·
Part of it has to do with the condescending attitudes some members have. Some replies to posts are uncalled for. And if a project has a couple of rust spots, it's a parts car that should be scrapped, heaven forbid you do any metal work to save one. Also, it seems that any car that is not stock, or is one not owned by a long time member is not worth much, for some reason.

I cruise the site daily, as I am always looking for tips on my projects. I joined before the board upgrade also. I still signed up for a lifetime membership despite noticing the things I posted above, so I am not knocking every member that was already here, just some of you...

#21 ·
Part of it has to do with the condescending attitudes some members have. Some replies to posts are uncalled for. And if a project has a couple of rust spots, it's a parts car that should be scrapped, heaven forbid you do any metal work to save one. Also, it seems that any car that is not stock, or is one not owned by a long time member is not worth much, for some reason.

I cruise the site daily, as I am always looking for tips on my projects. I joined before the board upgrade also. I still signed up for a lifetime membership despite noticing the things I posted above, so I am not knocking every member that was already here, just some of you...
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

#19 ·
Unfortunately, I do not like this new website and rarely visit it. I am still heavy into 69 Chevelles, but just find this site too cumbersome and slow to use. I am a paying member, but don't feel it is worth it anymore. I miss the great information exchange, but with the slowness and all the advertising. It isn't fun any more.

Phil Woj.

#20 ·
It is a lot slower now. A lot of folks have moved on. Many have passed away. The supply of restorable project cars is all but gone. Chevy only built so many. I remember checking into the Bench racing forum every day to see at least a page and half to two pages of topics in bold lettering (indicating new topics or new comments to existing topics). Now, even after several days, I can check in at any given time and there might only be two or three topics in bold. The traffic is way down.

Team Chevelle has become more like an aging friend or family member. One day it dawns on you that you won't have that friend or family member around forever.

#22 ·
First, Facebook SUCKS. Just had to get that off my chest...

Chevelles, like all classic muscle cars, have reached a point where the money paid for them is obscene, and people are afraid to drive them because of their value.

And, ultimately, cars that don't get driven just take up valuable space in your garage, and become a colossal bore.

JMHO

#24 ·
I see this alot, that's why my chevelles are in spray painted primer. I try to get them out as much as possible just to beat on them. Probably makes some crazy because I always hear "when are you getting it painted?".

#23 ·
I don't post a whole lot but I paruze the site almost every day and will continue to do so. If there is something I am trying to figure out on may car, I have found that about 50% of the time I can find out whatever I need by doing a search, and I am on my way. While I am browsing around and I see a question that I can help answer or offer some insight, I will do that as well.
I have always known a good bit about working on cars but some of you guys on here have been wrenching for two or three times longer than I have. That make this a pretty incredible resource for a guy like me I hope this place sticks around for a long time!

#25 ·
Definitely the traffic is down in recent years. I looked at post counts for a few days in CE done years ago and compared to recent posts. The traffic 5 years ago was about 3 times as much as now. And the number of users posting was much higher, too.
The same factors that caused the decline of ACES is at work here too.

#27 ·
The supply of Chevelles isn't exhausted.....they are still out there if you hunt for them........heck, there's a 65 2 door 300 on CL today for 1800.00, a roller. My son-in-law and I found his 67 Malibu wagon by asking around at swap meets and car shows for less than that.
The TV shows and Barrett Jackson surely inflate a lot of them..........finished ones and projects, and that infuriates me.
My son-in-law gets compliments on his 2010 Camaro SS, but not nearly as many as I get for my 66.
As far as traffic here, just a fine bunch of guys.......and anytime I need an answer, it's here almost as soon as I post the question.

#28 ·
I don't think the supply of classic cars has dried up either. They can be found in all states of condition. I will certainly say that the decline of traffic on this site has no reflection on the popularity of muscle/classic cars. There are more shows than ever on television that deal with restoration of classic cars and many times they are American cars from the 50's,60's and 70's. They are on several of the cable channels. Most of the car shows I attend are well represented. So the hobby seems to be alive and well.
Several people have commented on the treatment of newbys here by some of the veterans. I have seen that happen but I wouldn't say it happens a lot. When it does happen I would hope the newby would stand up for themselves and call the abuse out. One thing a bully understands is a nice solid punch right to the kisser.
Guess the best way to determine why traffic is down would be to ask many of those that don't frequent the site any longer why they don't do so. Kinda hard to do. Hell we don't even see the founder of this site on here any longer.Certainly have to say a lot has changed since Dot and Al ran the place.

#29 ·
It's quite a bit slower here than when I first joined in 2008. I was fairly active until some life stuff happened, marriage, kids, an unhealthy obsession with 1st gen Blazers....Anyways, kids are old enough to be interested in cars, the Blazers are gone. I never sold my car but it was just driving, racing and regular maintenance. Didn't really have any extra money to play with. I came back about 1 1/2 years ago and was surprised how much quieter it is here. It's still a great place for information and a good group of people. Part of the reason for less traffic could be the archives are so full of good info that many people just search and find what they need rather than start a new topic. In my opinion it's still the best place to get your questions answered and 'hang out' with like minded gearheads.

#32 ·
When the site was overhauled I had to admit that I was not crazy about it, but I needed to give it a chance and get familiar with the new format. Remember, it has changed numerous times over the last 20+ years (wow, it has been a long time). The current iteration of Team Chevelle ran poorly on my old computer with it's old unsupported operating system. I bought a new computer with a current o.s. and it is a breeze now, plus relearning the links and features on the site takes a little time.

As far as conflicts with other members and some comments on this site, I have to say that we don't even know we are alive. Many other sites have nowhere near the civility, nor do the participants have the high level of actual hands-on expertise and the willingness to share that is shown here.

You will likely find that other sites have slowed as well. Technology changes. Heck, at one time Kodak was on top of the world but then they filed under Chapter 11. And GM...

There was a time in the computer field where everything was new and everything was trail blazing. After the computer industry matured there was no need to write new application every time you wanted to do anything, you could now utilize some off-the-shelf stuff that was already written. No need to reinvent the wheel so to speak. Same thing with many topics relating to Chevelles. Many things have by now been covered and discussed; one just needs to use the search function.

The password "fiasco" really isn't a problem, it is simply the new reality. Yes, it is inconvenient but it really is for everyone's protection. Protection from what you may ask. Trust me, some hackers get endless kicks out of causing as much disruption as possible, wherever possible. Password strength is something that more and more places are taking seriously. Do you lock your front door when you leave the house? Back in the settler days there was little need. You know the saying, "the more things change, the more they remain the same."

All that, plus I agree with the points that others have posted. Smartphones, demographics, stubbornness (yes we can be), car values, modern cars with all the conveniences for today's softer generation (I'm not slamming youth, I'm saying that few people want to go back to "rustic" cars with manual steering after driving with power steering (as just one example)).

#43 ·
As far as conflicts with other members and some comments on this site, I have to say that we don't even know we are alive. Many other sites have nowhere near the civility, nor do the participants have the high level of actual hands-on expertise and the willingness to share that is shown here.
Amen to that. I have been on many car forums. But only a couple with any regularity. Other than Team Chevelle I have done some time on the Vintage Mustang forum which I found to be much like Team Chevelle, The only other site I did with any regularity was the Tacoma forum which I started going to after I bought my 2013 Tacoma. Well that was a short lived experience for the very reasons that Cam mentioned. I felt it was best just to quit going to that site and haven't been to it in a couple years. Don't even know or care if it still exists.

#33 ·
for starters thanks for letting me know about going back to the classic look. much better for me. second I have notice the lack of new post and the response times for people to get back who started the thread have gotten longer. the facebook part of this site is a joke. its okay for people to show off there car and show people what they are working on. but when it comes to Q/A its just awful. it also seems the people on here any more are building your low budget daily driver type cars. and there is no one doing any high end cars. which is fine but its really one sided

#40 ·
FWIW, I feel this site is a terrific source of information. Mark Jones, GosFast, Terrible Tom, Mr. 4 Speed and a host of others have been extremely helpful to me over the past few years.

Also, the nice thing about owning a Malibu is that the numbers matching thing means almost nothing. No one is looking down at you.....but no one is trying to rip you off, either. No one cared when I pulled out my 307/PowerGlide and replaced it with a terribly fun 350/TH-350....nor should they have.

Lastly, I still think that there are a TON of GM A bodies out there......especially if you go the Malibu, LeMans, Skylark, and Cutlass route instead of their sexier, hi-perf siblings.

But what you no longer can find are AFFORDABLE A bodies or pre-1973 GM rides. I don't see how high school aged kids can partake in the "Chevelle World" without big time help from mom and dad....or whomever. Which is a shame...b/c those were/are some of my best high school memories.

#41 ·
Funny,the people complaining about the people that know about Chevelles?(IE "original numbers matching crowd")
How do you put them down for pointing out something incorrect?
If you dont want to know what`s right or wrong,then, dont complain when you are told.

I`ve been coming here since I bought my car in 2003.I`ve had people tell me "you should have kept it the original color" but,I did`nt take as an insult?
YES, I see some put others down but, MOST of the time it`s positive.
It`s like any other discussion,it will lead to an argument and someones feelings will get hurt..:sad:

As for the format of this site???
Really??
Go to the bottom of the page and CHANGE IT???
I`m not computer savy but, you cant change it,then hit the back button and expect it to be the same?It will go back.
Hence.."back button".

Talk about getting "off topic"??Sorry.

#44 ·
Most of the forums I've frequented over the last 10 years or so appear to be dying a slow death.
FB is probably the main culprit as far as daily postings and rude, stupid people certainly don't help.

But

Forums that have been around as long as this one have all the answers any newb could need archived. For years, "do a search dummy" has been a standard answer to newb questions.
Now, that's likely what they do.

I recently got a non Chevelle project. I frequent several forums and get all the answers I need just searching the site. Every question I've had about my project has been asked and answered at least 2 or 3 times since whichever forum started 15 or so years ago. I joined several forums to gain access to info, but rarely or never post there. 2 forums I didn't even join because I can search without being a member. I assume this is what's happening to many forums.

Interaction happens on FB, research happens on forums.

Forums are as much a library now as anything else.

So keep down the noise, will ya?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.