Has this board slowed down? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

115Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 6:24 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gene

Has this board slowed down?

Has anyone else noticed the lack of posts the last few years?

Maybe it's just me but it seems like there used to be a lot more activity on these forums. I can go days without seeing new posts in forum sections, and a lot more questions are going unanswered than I remember from years past.

Are there any viewable stats for these forums?

My 1966 SS396 Project: https://imgur.com/a/v2PHi#0
1972 GTO: http://imgur.com/a/NvOUg

Last edited by ETD66SS; Oct 24th, 16 at 8:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 8:08 AM
Senior Tech Team

Send a message via AIM to Jim Mac
Re: Has this board slowed down?

I have to agree, not seeing any official stats but it does seem there are less people logged on and less posts.
Another thing I noticed is when I first got my chevelle in 2005, it was real easy to sell parts locally like consoles, bucket seats, monte carlo dash assemblies, 12 bolt rears. Today I think the rearends are about the only thing popular (cant find hardly any when I need one) the other parts you end up sitting on them for weeks. Jim

Jim

70 chevelle, SS clone 454 4 speed
71 camaro. (owned since 1978!) 6-71 blown small block 400
66 chevelle 350 4 speed latest project.
post #3 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 8:54 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
steve

the site has slowed down a lot. I think part of it was the change on the website. A lot of the older guys seemed to hate it. I find my self on other sites now since the slow down and the change.

71 malibu 6spd 6.0 procharged
2011 streetglide stage 1- sold
05 F350 dually bullet proofed
former KC-10A Chief-"Our Goal Is Your Hole"
post #4 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 9:23 AM
Team Member
Dan

There's a large Facebook presence now, so a lot of guys hang out there.
joeyv69ragtop likes this.

Dan
post #5 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 9:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
I have to agree, not seeing any official stats but it does seem there are less people logged on and less posts.
Another thing I noticed is when I first got my chevelle in 2005, it was real easy to sell parts locally like consoles, bucket seats, monte carlo dash assemblies, 12 bolt rears. Today I think the rearends are about the only thing popular (cant find hardly any when I need one) the other parts you end up sitting on them for weeks. Jim
X2. Like you, I noticed that there are sections where the last post often goes back to several weeks. As for selling parts, I've never sold anything through this site… Like you said, I often end up sitting on them but not for weeks, but rather months and sometimes a year! …Even rearend parts (like gear sets which I have for sale right now), I've never had anyone interested.

Claude.

1971 Chevelle "SS 496"
1987 Buick Grand National 9.48 @ 142 mph
post #6 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 10:08 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

For what it's worth, think about how much more expensive this hobby is than it was ten years ago. (Thanks a lot, reality TV d-bags.)

To the extent that 64-72 Chevelles...or all old Chevys....cost so much more these days means less new people are entering the hobby....or so I would think.

At the same time, we're deep into Muscle Car Era #2. Today's new Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, etc are great performing cars....and are reasonably priced.

Something to ponder: you can now buy a nice, well optioned C5 Vette for the same price as a '70 Malibu. Would you rather have a C6 Vette or LS Camaro or new 5.0 Mustang....or a 325 HP 396 SS of some kind?

My point is that at the same time this hobby has gotten really expensive, more affordable and faster alternatives have emerged. I'm not saying these alternatives are better...but they are out there.
von, Steve R, Bow_Tied and 5 others like this.

'69 Malibu 350/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. E-Tec 170s, Lunati 60121HR, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 670, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. 12.99@ 105.5MPH
post #7 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech Team
Gene

I guess it's not just me then...

It's a shame, as it seems like we're losing collective knowledge.

My 1966 SS396 Project: https://imgur.com/a/v2PHi#0
1972 GTO: http://imgur.com/a/NvOUg
post #8 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 10:33 AM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Oh yes, the site has slowed down a lot. I think it's because of facebook myself.

As for the hobby, more and more cars are either being restored or used for parts so not a lot left anymore.
Andy's Auto Repair likes this.
post #9 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 10:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
Mark

Garage

I have always had a tough time posting pictures on here. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. It is very frustrating! I have been fighting signing up on Facebook because of identity theft issues, but with the way this site works off/on, I just might have to cave in. The Northern Ohio Chevelle Club uses Facebook a lot, and I miss out on many activities because of it, but I still resist joining Facebook.

I have been putting off posting a build thread of my Chevelle because it will be waaayyy to difficult, but I will try later this winter. It will also be very depressing to go over all of the problems I've had with it, too! Plus, my car is still in paint jail where it has been all summer!

Just like this posting. If I hadn't previewed my posting, I would have missed a lot of formatting errors that didn't show up during typing...GRRRRR

'69 Chevelle SS (Almost on the road, and it runs again, but in the body shop for a while.)
Engine parts: (Heads, cam & lifters from Lewis Racing Engines)
ZZ502 Short block
AFR 305 CNC 106cc Chambers 8002 springs
Comp Custom Magnum HR 306/303 Adv dur 246/248@ .050 .680/.647-112LSA-108 ICL (Crap!...ate the cam's distributor gear!)
NEW CAM: Bullet HR ADV Dur 295/297 238/242 @ .050 .680/.650-110 LSA-108 ICL Morel lifters
Holley Avenger MPFI
612HP/594TQ (Dyno numbers with the Comp Magnum Cam)
T-56 Magnum trans with McLeod RST
post #10 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 10:56 AM
blm
Lifetime Premium Member
Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post

At the same time, we're deep into Muscle Car Era #2. Today's new Camaros, Mustangs, Challengers, etc are great performing cars....and are reasonably priced.

Something to ponder: you can now buy a nice, well optioned C5 Vette for the same price as a '70 Malibu. Would you rather have a C6 Vette or LS Camaro or new 5.0 Mustang....or a 325 HP 396 SS of some kind?
Tony: I am of the age that I can remember when the 64-72 Muscle cars were brand new. Couldn't drive them till mid 70's, which we did. So I may be of a generation that looks at classic muscle cars from a different perspective.
A good friend of mine, who grew up owning a 68 roadrunner and a 70 Boss Mustang bought a brand new 2012 Mustang Shelby. At that time he brought it over to my house and insisted that I drive it. I have to say it was very impressive. I told my wife "I want one". She told me no problem, just sell your Chevelle and you can get one. Faced with that choice it is no contest. Although the Shelby mustang is a much better performer it just isn't a classic muscle car. I am quite sure that if I were to sell mine to buy a new performance car I would be longing for the sights,smells and nostalgia that comes with the classics. Many 20 something's would love to own classic Chevelles,Camaros,Mutangs,etc but for the most part those vehicles are out of their price range.
As far as traffic on the website, I think we peaked several/many years ago. Don't know the exact reason for that but maybe people just moved on. I will many times search the archives when researching a project or purchase. When I do I will run across a poster that used to be a regular on this site. You don't realize they no longer use the site till you run across their user name. Just today I was researching some alternator information and I ran across a user that was a moderator on this site. He hasn't posted for 6 or 7 years.

Last edited by blm; Oct 24th, 16 at 11:14 AM.
post #11 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 11:24 AM
Team Member
Tony

Garage

Don't get me wrong, BLM. I, too, prefer the Classics. I was just trying to point out why overall hobby participation may be down some.

As the old saying goes, one man's coffee is another man's tea.......although I'm not sure what Caitlyn Jenner is drinking these days.
p40 likes this.

'69 Malibu 350/TCI TH350/8.2 3.36 Eaton Posi. E-Tec 170s, Lunati 60121HR, RPM Air-Gap, StreetAvenger 670, Pertronix HEI, Hedman 1 5/8" Headers, Moser Axles, PMT 1320R Kit. 12.99@ 105.5MPH
post #12 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 12:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_69_malibu View Post
For what it's worth, think about how much more expensive this hobby is than it was ten years ago. (Thanks a lot, reality TV d-bags.)

To the extent that 64-72 Chevelles...or all old Chevys....cost so much more these days means less new people are entering the hobby....or so I would think.

My point is that at the same time this hobby has gotten really expensive, more affordable and faster alternatives have emerged. I'm not saying these alternatives are better...but they are out there.
Modern cars, even some smaller imports, outperform our old classic muscle cars in just about every area there is EXCEPT for classic styling, comfort and economy. Not to say if we spend enough money we can compete but today's factory performance offerings are hard to beat.
As mentioned, the Barret Jacksons and wealthy collector car investors have destroyed this hobby for the average guy. Prices are astronomical and that is also reflected in our "for sale section".

'66 SS Chevelle
565 BBC Mamofied 300cc Ovals
3.73 12 bolt
Best e.t. to date 6.09 @112.45
1.391 60' 3.925 330' working at it
"seize the day", live and thrive
post #13 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 12:20 PM
Gold Founding Member
Administrator

Garage

Gotten off topic.
post #14 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 12:31 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean View Post
gotten off topic.
back on topic:

this site has gone downhill since some insecure techie had to flex his diminutive muscles and totally revise the format.

'66 SS 396 #'s match/ POP - Aztec Bronze / Bronze Interior
'66 Malibu 454 Cortez Silver / Maroon Interior
'37 Chevy Coupe 235 Straight 6 - Cabana Cream`
'55 Chevy Gasser - 427, 4 speed
'72 Cutlass Supreme - Gold/White
post #15 of 191 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 16, 12:46 PM
Senior Tech Team

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about when it comes to format. When they redesigned the website in May or June all you needed to do was hit classic as a preference. That's the same format as it has been since the early 2000's.

Steve R
blm likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.