Team Chevelle banner

Has this board slowed down?

13K views 190 replies 83 participants last post by  cv67 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone else noticed the lack of posts the last few years?

Maybe it's just me but it seems like there used to be a lot more activity on these forums. I can go days without seeing new posts in forum sections, and a lot more questions are going unanswered than I remember from years past.

Are there any viewable stats for these forums?

#45 ·
The TC Facebook page is a joke. It's nothing but a bunch of arguing and people who think they know what they are talking about. I don't even post there. After 32 years of messing with Chevelles I'm done as soon as I get the 67 I'm working on finished this fall.

Reactions: p40
#56 ·
But Dave....we need you. Hearing this reminds of when Forrest Gump suddenly decided to stop running. "Now what do we do?"

Hope you'll still be around and that the hobby still offers you something.

Reactions: Bow_Tied
#47 ·
Here is my take on it.
I've been here since 1998, shortly after I bought my first 70. I gained a wealth of knowledge that can never be replaced. Did A LOT of researching through old posts and the archives to find what I needed in order to build my first one. Having said that, I always tried to share what I learned and show what I was building next to help others. There was a time a couple years ago where I seemed to notice a few things... One of them being threads being completely derailed by BS interjected and the question never getting answered. Another thing that started turning me off from answering or trying to help was the lack of giving so much as a thank you for the info or seeing completely incorrect or bad info being given in an argumentative type manner AFTER the question had been answered with multiple correct replies. I've scaled way back on posting builds as well. I tried to go in depth with some aspects of sheet metal replacement and body work so others would know how to do it correctly. It seems those threads are not generating much interest so I update them randomly when I have time. Also it doesn't help that posting pictures here is a major pain in the ass and time consuming, something I don't have much of...free time.
One other thing that I will probably get flamed for but I'm going to say it anyway is that it seems to me as of late, there are many lazy people out there that just want to be spoon fed everything without looking on their own for anything. That kind of thing gets old to see over and over again constantly.
A good portion of the guys and gals I made friends with here, saw at Chevelleabration and the regional shows every year have moved on to Facebook. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it is what you make of it. You don't have to log on to a website that asks you to give up your left nut to redo a password. It's at the tip of your fingers on your phone. Unlimited picture and video storage that uploads instantly. I post all my builds on there. It takes 30 seconds to do a post with 10 pics of a car I cut the back end off of instead of an hour.
I used to be on here all the time everyday. Now may be once a week.

#49 ·
I am in a number of car/truck forums, admin on one, and the common lament on all is that Facebook is killing forums because:
-Facebook has more people available to instantly answer questions
-Anyone can easily start their own group - an advantage to those who want very niche things (eg 300 Deluxe only group) or very local groups (eg by city).
-Much easier to post /hose pictures
-Less advertising
-Faster loading/better interface for smart phones/tablets

Smaller forums are already becoming ghost towns. Really the only thing forums have still going is historical post searching.

I think one reason new people are not posting as many questions is not only because they can search established forums, it's that they can search forums using Google instead of the awful forum search engines that are slow, have key word search restrictions, and many prevent multiple searches in a given time frame. Every forum search window defaults to not 'search thread titles only' which I can't think of but one time that was ever convenient.

Forums are becoming taxis in an Uber world. Once FB finds a way to save posts and have it searchable they will own it all, easily. Eventually the remaining FaceBook hold-outs will either drink the kool-aid or be isolated. Sucks, but the evidence is clear.

#53 ·
I like many of you grew up working on these old cars. Swapping 348/409's into Tri Five Chevy's, you all know what I'm talking about. I'm not on Facebook, mostly because I don't have the time or interest. The farthest dabbling into computer controlled cars I have traveled was the TPI 86 TA I crashed about 10yrs ago. The newest computer controlled performance car I own is a 2000 Camaro SS, and with it if it can't be R&R with Nuts and Bolts, I'm not messing with it. I find that this and all the other Forums I frequent all seem to be the same. If I have to join FB to get info, I guess I will just have to go back to the books I used for years before the "Computer" entered my life.

#57 ·
Cory, if you scroll all the way to the bottom of this section, do you see a gray bar that has the "Contact Us" and "Privacy Statement" links? it's at the bottom of every section page. on the left end of that bar you will see a list box with a drop down arrow. Click on that down arrow and you will see choices, one of them is --Chevelles.com (Classic). choose that and you will see the site as it used to look before the so-called "Upgrade". Post here if that doesn't work or PM me your phone number, we'll figure out what is wrong.

Reactions: Bow_Tied
#65 ·
#61 ·
Lots of responses in a short period of time for a board that's supposedly slow!

You get out of it what you put into it. Same goes for lots of things in life. If you've read something here and tried it yourself, share the experience! Someone else is bound to learn from it!

Or maybe its just that its run its course for technical info and now its just updates on new technology (calm down old people, the new stuff wont kill you, I promise) or new ways of doing things.

Still a fine resource. One I use quite often, but if all you're interested in is a post count, then I'm not sure what to tell you! Enjoy it for what it is, not for how many times you hit the reply button.

#62 ·
Wow, I wish we could get this many responses in the body shop forums, specifically with my 66 fender issues...

I remember when I first joined in 1998, this site was nothing more than a glorified BBS and it was cool. Early 2000's it was a busy hub of Chevelle goings on. Now with all the ads in my face and lack of replies to inquiry's, it feels like this collective is dying off.

I refuse to re-join FB, I was on FB for years, and I hated it. Specifically all the family members dragging me into political debates, showing me stupid pictures and comics and a whole host of crap I'm just not interested in.

Hell, I even joined LinkedIn for the professional side of things, and even there I had family members following me around and that just turned into a different kind of FB... So I had to quit that.

I hate social media, and I still only have a flip phone, never had a smart phone. I guess I am a very old 43 years...

My Chevelle project has all but died, and now this site is dying (I feel). I guess good things just don't last forever huh?

By the time I get my house and shop built, and get back to my 66, this site will probably be gone.

#64 ·
I'm no fan of social media either. I joined FB under a fake name only because many businesses/groups have dropped their web pages and only have FB now. Many new businesses don't even bother with web pages now and go straight to FB.

Get a separate email and join under an alias or variation on your name. That keeps the cyber stalkers off your back and still allows you to use it.

It stinks, but FB is sometimes the only source for info you're after.

I don't think this forum will completely croak. There will always be enough folks posting to keep it going. But like most other forums, I'm afraid the peak has come and gone.

#72 ·
As mentioned, seeing a lot of members have respond to this, the site isn't dead. Its leads me to believe that 1) this is a discussion that everyone can contribute too. 2) members may be afraid to give advice or help because they will get "spoken too". 3) A lot of the knowledge has drifted away from the site. I know when I got my Malibu 5 years ago, this site was a wealth of knowledge and a lot of guys have helped me out. If I was only able to buy them all a beer someday. Since I went to with a completely different route with my car, I look for answers on LS1tech.com or Yellowbullet.com because that's where a lot of individuals have already done what I am doing. For example, putting the procharger on the LQ9 engine has been a pain. Not too many member here have done that, but the other sites have been through the gambit with the mod. If I see a post where I can contribute, I will. I know what everyone means when they posts questions. You'll have 100 views, but not one answer. This leads us to other sites for answers. I paid to join this site and it has paid off.

#74 ·
Change in inevitable, that's just life. The world changes, our bodies change, and our abilities and sometimes interest's change. One can hide from some of that if they wish, but most of it is coming like it or not. I get the "Old Timers" that want nothing to do with fuel injection and computers. I also get the tech geeks that want to pour through digital fuel table and timing curves for each cylinder.
Regardless of preference each of us has something to contribute to the discussion and teaching of the next generation of hot rodders.

I hope that you will stay in the forums and continue contributing. You so called Old Timers are the ones that inspired me as a youth to learn and build. I've had dozens of muscle cars along the way because of the fire you guys lit inside me.

Just my two cents.

Dan

#75 ·
Change is inevitable, that's just life.
Sure, some things change as a result of the natural course of events, BUT the changes here were ARBITRARY and served no useful benefit for the members - they only served to stir the creative juices of some half baked General, administrative dude, or techie. :cool:

Using your logic of "Change is inevitable" - it would be acceptable to you for the authorities to change all the roads over to left side driving - simply because they have the authority to do so. :wacko:

#78 ·
he's claiming that his browser or the site automatically switches him back to the "new" version. Don't think the site is doing it or there would be others having the same problem.

I keep thinking he's using some old version of MS IE or something, but he says "And, yes, I have extensive experience in programming and IT." so that doesn't seem likely. I've looked at his account stuff in the admin panel, don't see anything odd about it. Asked him to PM his phone number so I could call and work through it, but he didn't. dunno what to do for his issue.

I won't use that new interface either, I went on it for a couple weeks, no thanks. just a lot of wasted white space. I thought I was going to wear out my mouse with all the vertical scrolling trying to get to what I wanted to see.

One thing I'm sure of, I don't own the site, didn't when Al owned it either. I participate here because I want to. If things get to where I don't want to anymore I'll disappear.

Reactions: Proc
#79 ·
Gene, went and looked at your pics. That's a serious rotisserie you have there. Did you build it? Nice shot of the original distributor too. Those things are getting hard to find.

Looks like your an engineer used to working with CAD, that's a really nice bracket deal you made on your M/C.

One heckuva nice car there.

#84 · (Edited)
I had my own rotisserie all designed up in 3D CAD (that's what I do for a living). But when I had all the drawings quoted to make the parts, it would have cost me $3000 (In 1999 dollars!).

I bought my rotisserie from Accessible Systems, this model https://www.accessiblesystems.com/bul/23/23.php iirc I paid $1100 for the rotisserie + the pneumatic tires + shipping back in 1999. It worked very well.

Thanks, my car is not nice yet because it's not done, it's killing me that the project stalled. This is my first restoration, and I have made so many costly mistakes. I think I have $25k into the restoration so far including the buy price of the car, and unfortunately the car has to go back to the body shop jail to get stuff fixed that I messed up doing the metal work. I acid dipped and e-coated the doors (Carponents in Detroit, now that company is bankrupt), they rusted out badly after a few years due to acid still leaching. I painted the car a non-original color which kills the collector value, and I bought a lot of extra parts needlessly on egghead.com if you remember that, it was the predecessor to eBay.

I was in my late 20's when I started this project and joined this site. I followed as much advice as I could, but still made silly mistakes like warping the nice original roof when sandblasting. And I have been sandblasting for years, should have known better... My metal work was not the best, still warped panels with my MIG welder due to improper method/settings/wire diameter etc.

I've been waiting 2.5 years now to get my car back in the body shop to fix the doors + other issues (have some weirdness with the front fenders too, driving me nuts), then I have to worry about the yellow paint blend, they don't even make the PPG paint I used anymore, bodyman now uses Standox, says he can match perfectly, I think that's crapshoot, but we'll see if it ever gets back in...

I should have just driven the damn car and not started a restoration. When it's done, I'll probably be afraid to drive it...

Next project I do, I am forcing myself to learn bodywork & paint, no matter how many times I have to redo stuff. Bodyshops kill these projects.

#83 ·
I'm just a newb here, but not to forums online. I've been involved in several very active forums that "died off". There was always much discussion and gnashing of teeth over changes that were made and cries that "all the old timers with a wealth of knowledge were leaving. It happens. It is actually expected, from what I hear, from people that study these sort of forums.

As to changes behind the scenes, any website that does not keep making changes to keep up with the online world is failing. Status quo is simply not an option in a fast changing environment.
Most people (especially old farts like me) don't like change. Oh well. Move forward or get left behind. LS engines, HEI ignition, fuel injection and overdrive were never parts of these cars "back in the day" I'm glad they are now. I'm also glad for a forum where I can refresh my memories of working on the cars I used to work on and learn a TON of new tricks.

The old car scene is not the same as it was 10, 20 or even 30-40 years ago. But some of the biggest changes have been in the last 10 years. Let's face it, costs have skyrocketed. A lot of guys have stalled out on both purchasing and working on these cars simply because it is too darn expensive to keep doing so. Priorities change. I would have killed for a resource like Team Chevelle in the 70's/early 80's when I was really into Chevelles and Novas I owned 7 diff 68-69 Chevelles and 5 dif 69 novas. I worked as a mechanic 6 days a week and just about every other hour was spent in my home garage swapping parts or doing body & paint on one or more of them. Things changed. I sold my last one, a 68 ElCamino more than 30 years ago. I've been driving a darn minivan for 25 years! Last month I bought another 68 Elco. Now I'm back into it and found this place. Damn glad I did.

Bottom line is, Change is inevitable, forums bloom and fade. So don't give up or moan too loudly. This is still a vibrant, VERY useful forum.

#85 ·
Its easy to take a simple broad ranging statement that was meant to encourage and spin off on all kinds of tangents, however the meat of the posting was obvious; encourage fellow hot rodders regarding a frustrating situation.

Change what you can and want to, but accept and work around what you cant. I get you your statement about the changes being unwanted and unnecessary. That sucks, but what can you do about it beyond posting a complaint to the administrators?

Of course you could always pony up and make a substantial offer to buy the rights to the forum.....

#88 ·
I'm not going anywhere and I know putting one of these old cars back on the road isn't like it used to be, lol, used to run up to the local junk yard grab the parts for cheap and get back on the road...fast forward to 2016!!! buy each part by the nut..bolt..Oh you need this part to go with that part but you didn't order it so now more shipping$, my car was gutted when I bought it, it was on it's way to the drag strip except someone lost interest, I'm happy with the 28K I have in it with no paint or interior, but I still have a car from my era and I have this forum to come to for CORRECT answers instead of smart a$$ remarks like other places that only think to drive fart cans or stangs, and I had a nice 70 mach 1, and as for FB I've had too many people I hardly know want to be friends on FB, my wife plays on it.

#91 ·
What most are dismissing is the sell out by original forum owners (not just this one, but nearly all of the other 400 auto forum owners) to a huge conglomerate that is Auto Guide/VerticalScope. This company has one thing on their mind...revenue (ads and redirects), which was NOT the case when forums like these were created and ran for many years. Owners get old and they sell out for cash. Facebook plays a part in the downfall, but so does ownership and business focus.

#92 ·
I don't log out, maybe that's the OP problem?, myself I'm very happy where I can ask a question and understand an answered a reply here in layman terms and not some kind of BS, FB seems like every body wants to be your "FRIEND" so they can say they have X friends, maybe I'm wrong BC I don't mess with it, wifey likes it, I guess I'm getting old or whatever, used to just drive over to a couple guys houses and figure things out, I guess times changed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.