Team Chevelle banner

What is it with some people ???

2K views 27 replies 26 participants last post by  langss 
#1 ·
On my way home from my buddy's yesterday,driving just a tiny bit over the speed limit,and it happens again.
Yep,some middle age dude in the family 4 door import sedan just has to come racing up behind the Monte and tailgate me.
He had the opportunity to pass me but didn't.
Even after we passed a police car sitting on the side of the road with radar he was still on my tail.
So when I turned off of Hwy # 12 for the side road into town and he was still behind me I wound the 513 up and went through 4 gears before I slowed down.
No sign of him until after I slowed down and sure enough here he comes to catch me again.
I don't understand,is it jealousy ??
And it happens all the time.
I've even had family guys with the mini van loaded with the wife and kids,a boat on the roof and pulling a trailer try to pass me going up hill, LOL
That's my rant for today ...
Guy

#3 ·
Just all down about 5-80mph less than the speed limit and see how long they hang back.

#4 ·
Some people just need a pat on the back.......... with a 2x4............. with nails poking through
Clowns like that are everywhere.
There was a time, when I had a Mazda MX6GT, 2.2 turbo that had a worn turbocharger on it.
It made power, but it leaked internally through the oil and coolant seals.
I would wind it up in gear, let off the gas, then Punch it. It would spew out a cloud of foul smoke and the drivers behind me would cough and gag and flip me off.
I would just laugh. we called it the Aston Mazda DB6.
I wish I had that feature on all of my cars some days

#5 ·
Same thing happens to me, Especially in my F350 dually. If often thought about tuning the truck so I can blow a thick black cloud just for those people.

#8 ·
Doesn't matter what I'm driving, people will routinely run up behind and then tailgate instead of passing (I usually drive about 5 over). Conversely, when I pass in similar situations they tend to speed up to prevent it or toss a gesture my direction. I just don't get it..... Apparently passing someone is now a personnel affront on the level with insulting one's mother.

#9 ·
What I don't get is people tailgating me on a lightly traveled interstate in the right hand lane with a clear passing lane on the left. Had one recently where I'm going the speed limit (70), speed up to 75, slow down to 60, still there. Slow to 55, still there. Finally at 50 they go around me. Must be in a trance or something.

#27 ·
Maybe you have a secret admirer :thumbsup:

#11 ·
Happens no matter what you drive. They know there car is too gutless to pass in a legal zone so they ride you're ass expecting you to go faster. Had a guy one time ride me in my Mazda b2000 doing 50 in a 45.tried to pass a few times but but the time he got wound up oncoming traffic started coming. Got to my destination and he followed me in the parking lot. Got out yelling with a bat. Had to pull a gun on him thought he was going to start swinging. Got his plate and called the cops when he left. Told the cop flat out if I see him coming at me again I'm going to put him down. People are fd up.

#13 ·
I hate that, people on your bumper, and it you let them pass, they slow to the same or slower speed... Not intentionally, but I think they just hate to be behind someone...

The other that really bugs me, are the guys that e going slower, and when I try to pass, they speed up. When I get back behind them, they slow back down...

#14 ·
I think I may have an explanation for some of you guys because I've done it myself although I didn't get close enough to draft them cars.Sometimes if traffic allows and I'm by myself I'll get behind an older car and let my mind start thinking about how driving in 1972-3 was.Just looking at an oldie and listening to the exhaust note can sometimes trigger a good memory.But I never get close enough to be annoying to anyone in their car.

#15 ·
I think many folks just like to follow someone else. I don't know why they do it, but they do.

I've passed folks only to have them speed up to get behind me and stay there, especially on the interstate at night with their headlights right in my eyes. Not another soul in sight except me and the person 6 feet off my back bumper.

I've also seen people get in behind a semi and start dialing and talking on their phone while they stare blankly at the back of the trailer.

Same with those people that will get in your blind spot and just stay there.

Maybe they just like to stay behind someone else and let them make the decisions? Or they think the guy in front gets the ticket?

#17 ·
I was stopped by the cops today because some hipster in a Volt decided I was the bad guy because he felt the left lane was his and I may have crowded him on a lane change. He called 911.

Nevermind he drove around me in the oncoming lane at an intersection to get in front and ran a long red light to follow me.

I want to buy an old F250 (don't like Fords) to do battle w/ the morons on the road.

The cops told me that I should call them when other drivers drive stupid--that's what they're there for. Right. I'd be on the phone to the cops all day long.

If someone tailgates me I'll drive erratically to warn them off. Its better to do a few dry runs than have a real emergency stop they aren't prepared for...

#18 ·
I'm sorry to tell you guys this but it's All in you head, nobody is doing stupid things or playing games on the road with you, just ask my wife. This is what I hear every time this same crap happens to me, doesn't matter what I drive.

In my Buick Lacrosse, the windshield solvent nozzles seem to send about half the solvent over the top of the car, it has been a pretty effective deterrent for staying on my bumper too long. I give them a nice cleaning and if they are still too close I rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, until they figure out they don't want to be that close any more.:wink2:

#19 ·
Ya right call the cops every time somebody's an idiot. Like they don't have more important things to deal with. I cut people off every day. My way home the entrance ramp it's 45 zone and the ramp is really short. I have to do 65 just to merge and when someone sees you they speed up so I pull in with them an inch off my bumper.

#20 ·
Driving a semi for a living I see a lot if idiots mostly people on their damn phones. In my personal vehicle if I can't see their license plate I start slowing down especially when oncoming traffic prevents them from passing. Thank goodness for power mirrors for nighttime tailgaters.

#21 ·
Yeah i don't really get that here (then again i really don't drive that much working from home), if i go the limit drivers are more than happy to go around. Also, I will switch lanes and let them by or slow down and they are happy to go around. However, i do get unwanted attention driving the classics. I usually ignore them, especially if they want to race but if they ask a question and are being neutral i am more than happy to answer but only while at a stop...once the light turns green my focus is on the road and my ride.

#22 ·
I think this is ironic. I used to think it was just me, or whatever I was driving...... I guess not. Since I retired last year I have the benefit of not being in that much of a hurry as I might have been if I was still working. Its interesting seeing the people driving the "Higher" End cars just can't stand to be behind anyone. They will risk life and limb to be first in line at the next Red Light. I guess the wear and tear, price of gas and or tickets must be at a different rate than I typically experience. I mostly drive the speed limit because I just do not have the urgency. Out here where I live they are hit or miss on enforcement, so its not worth the risk. Its kind of interesting when I pull up next to them at the red light. Even funnier is when I pull up behind them and they sit after the light has changed to green. I give them reasonable reaction time, but sometimes the car behind me lays on the horn before I get a chance. I get the blame and usually get the one finger salute, that's when I bust out laughing and just drive on.

#23 ·
I don't know how many times I've ran up on a guy going at least 5 miles per hour or more under the speed limit and at the first opportunity I passed them and all the sudden they are riding my ass at 20 miles an hour over. WTF? Also how can there be so many people that don't know better than to drive slow and a left hand lane of a highway? In the old piece case it's probably just that they love his car and want to see it go down the road

#25 ·
I live on a 2-lane blacktop (good car movie....:)) and have to make a right turn onto our street coming from the east. Usually a following car will catch up as I'm slowing down and signaling for the turn. Even though there is a clean clear straight road in front with no approaching traffic, most of them will stay 6" off my rear bumper and refuse to pass. I guess that's their prerogative, but then I get the horn or a finger as I make the turn.....:clonk:

Happens all the time. What's up with that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.