Team Chevelle banner

Downsize daily driver???

3K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  Aaron 
#1 ·
Thinking of going to a 03-09 Colorado as a daily. They run right about 5000 to 7000 for one with around 100,000.

My daily is a 99 silverado with a LQ4, T56, and 4:56 gears with Silverado SS wheels.

I think my mileage would go from around 16 to 17 to about 22 mpg. Not sure if that is worth it or wise.

Opinions?

#3 ·
Sounds like you would be going in reverse or just a lateral move.

#4 ·
I had a 00 Silverado that I bought new. It was a 3/4 ton with a 6.0 liter 3.73 gears and extended cab with an 8 ft bed. Nice truck, Kept it till 13 and sold it privately. I've owned quite a few trucks and never had one that was as rusty (underneath) as that 00. Everything underneath was rusted. I had even replaced the brake lines and trans lines and part of the fuel line for rust issues. One of the brake lines actually failed.
Anyway in 13 I bought a 13 Tacoma. First time ever for a non full size and first time ever for a non big three truck. Its an extended cab with a 6 ft bed. Has the 4 cyl engine, manual 5 speed and 4:10 rear end. So far it has been a very good vehicle. It does take some getting used to a smaller platform truck and I am not going to win any races with the four cylinder but it has everything one needs. 4 wheel drive, AC, power windows, back up camera, etc, etc. Gets 22-23 mpg on the highway. A little less around town. If I would of gotten the 6 cylinder I wouldn't have gotten much better mpg than a full size truck so I didnt see the point. Plus Toyota made their name on their 4 cyl engines. Its all about compromises. Was getting a solid 13.5 mpg with the Silverado.

#6 ·
Aaron: Florida should be 2 wheel drive pickup territory. Cheaper to buy than 4 wd and better gas mileage. I had a couple 2 wheel drive trucks up here in PA. Liked them just as much as my 4 wd trucks. Just cant go off road or travel that great in snow conditions. One thing I miss about a full size truck is the size of the bed. One should be able to haul a full sheet of plywood with the tailgate closed IMHO. Other than that everything else is able to be adjusted for. I was never one to have the 6 ft bed on the full size truck.

#7 ·
Brad

I dont need a 4WD at all. I dont even use the truck as a work truck all that much.

The reason Im looking is that the 99 is less break downs and better mileage, although the suspension has been rebuilt, tranny, and rearend. LQ4 has about 200,000 "highway miles" on it.

Im going to be doing more commuting and not have as much time for maintaining the 99 as I have had or making upgrades to it.

I hate giving up the time and money that I have put into the 99 though.

I just want something that I can get better mileage for a couple of years.

This is what Im having to compromise.

#8 ·
A friend of mine had a Colorado with a 5 cylinder. Not a lot of power and the mileage wasn't all that great. I took it on a trip once and the seat was horribly uncomfortable (I think his was an '07). I would personally never own one.

#10 ·
Dean

I cruise at 1700 at 70 mph.

Im not sure if going to a 4:10 gear would help the mileage. Im sure it would not hurt. I guess my cruise then would be a little less.

#14 ·
Always had an intermittent miss that I couldn't fix and got poor mileage. Couldn't pull or haul much either.
If you were getting poor mileage with a 4 cyl Tacoma you either had something wrong with the engine or you constantly had the thing floored. The MPG I posted for mine is real world and I cruise 65-70 on the highway. Yes you will not be able to tow much more than a lawn tractor or a 12 ft fishing boat but that is not what they are made for. A full size 3/4 ton truck is a towing vehicle.

#12 ·
Go look at a regular cab, 2 wheel drive, 4 cyl Tacoma. Probably isn't a higher MPG truck on the market. Highway should be close to 24 mpg. If you can live with a truck like that it would be a very dependable vehicle. I've owned a couple Toyota vehicles and then are very dependable and minimum maintenance requirements in my experience. Go look at one and drive it. Nothing to lose but a couple hours of your time.

#15 ·
I owned a 2004 5cyl. Crew Cab and now own a 2012 4cyl. Crew Cab (both 2wd). I loved the 5 cyl but the 4cyl .. not so much. I used to call my 2004 my "El Colorado" it reminded that much of my El Camino. Gas mileage is not that great (keep an eye on the differential gear ratio). Took a 2000 mile trip to N.C. and it was very comfortable.

#16 ·
5-7 thousand buys a lot of gas for the 99, if your planning on keeping it. Add to that license + registration + insurance + unknown immediate/future maintenace(tires,brakes,electrical) on the unknown new to you vehicle, you get the idea. Personally I would rather put money into the 99, a known quantity. As an example, I just unloaded a 2010 Malibu for a 2015 Silverado, because I retired and no longer needed a Commuter car, it no longer served the purpose it was bought for. Just my.02.

#23 ·
Is there a strong support for the s10 versus the Colorado?

I know the s10 can be gotten with the 4.3 too.

#24 ·
I'm not exactly sure what year the MFG started letting computers run everything. I know my 2000 Camaro has a computer for engine management and the ABS/Traction Control, but I don't think it runs anything else. Probably sometime around 04-05. I had an 08 Cobalt before the Malibu and it had a computer for everything. Pretty weird when the key has to be on for the brake lights to work....lol.....

#25 ·
I downsized in 2005

Went from a 454/4-spd powered 79 Chev pickup to a new v6 Ranger with a 5 speed

the 454 would get 14mpg if not working too hard and I kept under 2500 rpm---geared pretty tall

New Ranger would get 21-22 ----- but it does ride kinda rough.

went back to a big pickup a few years ago (still have Ranger and the 79)

Now using a 98 k1500 350/5-spd as a commuter when not driving the Ranchero.

18 mpg all day long---rides nicer than the Ranger, and can actually do more work---like haul and drag stuff.

The Ranger has been used for only a backup for about 5 years now----and an occasional trip to town just to keep it healthy.

Point being----getting used to a smaller vehicle may not be all that easy----I did not fare well with the smaller truck.

Also something to consider if looking into the Colorado/Canyon----I have read that they have front tire wear issues that are not easily fixed.

If you are intent on a small truck---the Ranger is a viable option.
They built them for a long time---they are proven---and they take a beating real good (should see some of those around where I live that are still truckin')
A guy I work with has well over 200k on his lil 4 banger truck-----my 3.0 has just over 100k on it and has bee absolutely trouble free.
easy to get parts for---easy to service----------but the heater/AC servo motors do have their issues on occasion.

Despite the shortcomings, I will keep mine---bought it new and I do keep it up.
the green k1500----don't even care what happens to that.
engine has been great so far (175k) but the transfer case had to be replaced recently.

#26 ·
Pretty sure those Colorados are Isuzu based, never real impressed myself. Might look into a 5.3L powered full size truck, the 6.0L like you have now drink a lot more, the 4.8"s don't seem to get any better mileage than the 5.3's. I find the full size trucks a lot easier to work on, and are more comfortable, and I don't think the 5.3 mileage is that far off, if any, from the smaller trucks.
HTH, Jim

#27 ·
Are you looking to downsize to a small truck exclusively or open to a car (2-door or 4-door)? I keep two vehicles for myself at all times. Currently a 2014 GMC Sierra and a '97 S10 4.3L 5-speed. I use the S10 for out of town solo trips. It has 220k miles and still pulls 23-24 mpg on freeway. But used a Ford Fusion 4-banger (no EcoBoost) rental and it got 32 MPG on the same route. I have thoughts of ditching the S10 for a sedan, but the S10 is cheap to run and easy to repair. Parts are just about everywhere. If you can do without the utility of a truck, I'd be looking for a car purely for MPG purposes. Otherwise, I'd stick with what you have now.

#30 ·
Alan

Was thinking about the smaller trucks since they are easier to work on.

What car would be better? A Malibu or a Impala?

I think a second beater would be best.

Maybe a S10, they are really cheap around here, or a Malibu or Impala if they get better mileage than 20 to 25 miles per gallon.

#28 ·
I've got a 2008 Canyon that we bought new. Nicest truck I've owned as far as ride and dependability goes. The mileage isn't that great but I'm fine sacrificing mileage for those two things. Owned a 2002 S-10 before that and it was nothing but a POS. It rode like a tank, had a vibration no one code get rid of, the third door always rattled or squeeked and the fuel mileage wasn't all that great. This Canyon is the 5th GM truck I've owned and I like it the best of the bunch. Oh yeah it's a Crewcab 2 wheel drive.

#36 ·
Steve

No, I have not. Worth a look into though. I had a girl that I knew that had one though.

Still got the zz4 in the chevelle?

#37 ·
Im not looking to buy a brand new car, dont have the money for that. The reason for downsizing is that I will be attending school and doing some commuting of about a hour daily.

I have been looking at the Malibu and the Impala. Looks to be a wash. The Impala is a larger car and seems to be very stable at around 25 miles per gallon, right there with the Malibu.

Anybody want to argue for or against the Malibu and or Impala?

#39 ·
Jeff, that is a excellent question.

Im doing this on a two year outlook while attending school.

If I invested 5,000 on a purchase. I now have two cars to maintain, the benefit is to have a way of going if the other breaks.

During the two year outlook, lets say I averaged 300 dollars a month on gas, that is a 7200 dollars on gas for two years. Gas bill could go down based on driving a vehicle that gets 25 miles to the gallon more than one that gets 16 to 18.

I see a wash there since you had to invest in a second beater. I dont see that as a wash since you had to invest 5,000 on a purchase.

Im not sure the correct way to look at that.

#40 ·
Aaron: If you are looking at this based on getting better MPG and are considering a car vs a pick up truck I would be looking at things like the Honda Civic or if it has to be a GM product then I would be looking at the Chevy Cobalt. You are talking 35 MPG vs 25 MPG. The Malibu and the Impala (especially the used ones) are known to have their own problems as mentioned earlier in this thread. Just saying there are better/more reliable vehicles to be had IMHO.
Pick ups are made for hauling things and I don't consider them good commuting vehicles. Plenty of people use them however for commuting. They have every right to use their vehicle as they wish but they sure are burning a lot of extra gas. Thus the trucks seen everywhere that the cab is bigger than the bed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.