Team Chevelle banner

Should I Throw My 283 On Craigs?

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  zombie1969 
#1 ·
A fellow member PMed me a week or so ago about whether or not he should sell his,and asked me if I was selling mine.
Without hesitation,I said no,Im saving it to go back in the car.
Then I got to thinking,would I really ever do that,at this point.
I like things in my shop neat,there isnt a ton of space,and I have a turbo 400 trans that would fit nicely in that spot,instead of me tripping over it,lol.
I find myself now thinking about just getting rid of it,and trying to get 400.00 for it since it runs good,doesnt smoke,and has 63K on it.
So,I ask now,lol.
Should I lighten my load with it?

#8 ·
For me,this is pretty much the reality.
All the springs would have to be changed again,and for what?
A 283 Malibu.
It was a nice score for me because it was all original and there.
Maybe I'll put it on there for 400.00.Ive seen others listed for that,and dont see them anymore.
That would be a decent number for me to let it go if it happened.
And if not,Ill have to do something with that 400turbo thats just sitting out,getting on my nerves,lol.

#3 ·
I'd keep it. If you ever decided to put it back in and didn't have it, well... I regret very few things in life but most of those are car related, just saying.

Reactions: Dragn70
#4 ·
I just put mine on there. I just dont see the need every coming about for it anymore.

#6 ·
Do really ever see going back to a small block after driving a big block chevelle? If you were into the hobby dragging home rolling bodies needing drivetrains I would vote keeping it. If not, let it go. I dont thinkthe next owner is going to care about a numbers matching 283 malibu. Jim

#7 ·
People looking for a fuel efficent engine for a s10 or hot rod might want it. You cant get anything for it.

#13 ·
A guy I know had a new in the crate '65 long block 283 in his garage for decades, he had a sale a while back which attracted a lot of people, he had some neat stuff including a '56 convertible..He sold the 283 eventually, not at that sale, for around $300.00- $400.00 I think, not sure now. It was torn down for checkover, install brass soft plugs and marine gaskets and it went in a restored Chris Craft wood runabout. I had a couple of them in my youth; Great little engine in it's day.

#14 ·
I see no reason for 283s built after 1961 to continue to exist.

It's like saving a 307. Who wants one? If you ever wanted to pull the bigblock and insert a smallblock (how likely is that?) why wouldn't you just go with a basic 350 that will make an easy 100 more hp while costing less to build and be every bit as efficient?

#15 ·
Although I don't have one right now I like to keep a good 283 around for backup. I usually get them for free or $100. 350s in my area are usually 350-500, and much more desirable.

We did rings/bearings on the last one I got, put a small solid cam in it with 305HO heads with a Performer RPM and a Holley 600 for my son. The thing is a blast to drive with a close ratio 4 speed and 4.10s but the freeway rpm kills fuel mileage.

Devin

#22 ·
400 was lucky you just happened to be selling when somebody was looking. Sold my 283 to a guy putting a v8 in a jeep. Got 750 but it was .30 over fresh rebuilt 0 miles with camel hump heads and bigger valves and a bigger cam with 4 barrel intake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.