2009 Silverado Stabilitrak Problems - Chevelle Tech

Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Send a message via AIM to onick
Angry 2009 Silverado Stabilitrak Problems

Hey guys, while driving to the relatives house in my 2009 Silverado(crewcab, 4x4, bought new, less that 2 years old, 23K miles) when leaving a stop sign my dash started going crazy, the truck started to buck andthe truck died/lost all power. Scared the hell out of me, super dangerous. The message center than stated something like, traction control off, service stabilitrak, loss of engine power. It wouldn't start. while on the phone with AAA, tried once more and it started, limped home, service light remains on. I am going to drop it at the dealer tomorrow to be looked at Monday. Anyone had similar problems? From doing some research i've seen the following:

-Faulty intake failing causing plastic to get in the motor/causing issues
-Clogged injectors
-bad steering wheel position sensor
-bad code?

I am really upset as I almost wrecked my truck because of this, I take my truck to the dealer for ALL its service(want the record for warranty issues ), and that it less than 2yrs old and 23k miles on it! Any input would be great. I'm very persistent with this type of stuff and will be demanding a new truck if they don't have a fix!

Eric Onick
1968 Chevelle Malibu
Big Block-475ci built by Mark Jones
Tremec TKO-600 5-speed
12 bolt Eaton Posi
TC Member# 2320
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 1:18 AM
Senior Tech Team
Rod

Garage
Re: 2009 Silverado Stabilitrak Problems

Have a friend of the family that had a similiar issue. His issue is similiar to the rearend of a posi track slipping and locking, the message center states all that stuff, and the engine detunes because of it. I found all the simliar possible causes none of which is bad. There are even sensors in the wheels of some models.

9 years and FINALLY she's drivable, just in time for my first born son.

My_two_tone_'64

Rod Hill
IT/AG instructor
Ag. Mechanics, Ag. Power Mechanics, Ag. Wood
Los Banos High
Los Banos California
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 1:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotone64 View Post
Have a friend of the family that had a similiar issue. His issue is similiar to the rearend of a posi track slipping and locking, the message center states all that stuff, and the engine detunes because of it. I found all the simliar possible causes none of which is bad. There are even sensors in the wheels of some models.
Did he get it fixed?

Eric Onick
1968 Chevelle Malibu
Tremec TKO-600 5-speed
12 bolt Eaton Posi
TC Member# 2320
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 1:33 AM
Tech Team
Jeff

Could be many things. Judging by the number of systems that were effected, I would suspect a poor main power or ground connection. Possibly a damaged communication line in the high or low speed LAN circuits. Should not be a major deal to diagnose, especially since a service message has been set. Any DTCs stored will pretty much point the tech in the direction of the problem.

Duke? I named the dog Duke...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 1:36 AM
Tech Team
Chris

Have heard of severe vibrations from the front end at speeds above 35mph. Ended up being a misadjusted brake pedal position switch that thought the brakes were being applied when in fact they were not. Correct adjustment of brake pedal position switch resolved the issue.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2923126/11970 Chevelle SS replica ( Its what I can afford )
Shooting for 10's on pump gas. Most likely will run 11's
Dont lift till you see God.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 3:14 AM
Senior Tech Team
Gerry

Garage

The radio display went nuts on my 09 siverado the other night.It was cold out when I got off work and a minuite after I watched the radio display start to go crazy and finally black out while the radio was still playing just fine.I thought to myself,what the hell is this,the beginning of a ton of headaches?Truck has less than 5000 miles on it.C'mon Chevy,youv'e been building cars for 100 years and still no reliability.WTF!!!!

1970 Black Cherry SS396
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 9:47 AM
Senior Tech Team
Vinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by onick View Post
Hey guys, while driving to the relatives house in my 2009 Silverado(crewcab, 4x4, bought new, less that 2 years old, 23K miles) when leaving a stop sign my dash started going crazy, the truck started to buck andthe truck died/lost all power. Scared the hell out of me, super dangerous. The message center than stated something like, traction control off, service stabilitrak, loss of engine power. It wouldn't start. while on the phone with AAA, tried once more and it started, limped home, service light remains on. I am going to drop it at the dealer tomorrow to be looked at Monday. Anyone had similar problems? From doing some research i've seen the following:

-Faulty intake failing causing plastic to get in the motor/causing issues
-Clogged injectors
-bad steering wheel position sensor
-bad code?

I am really upset as I almost wrecked my truck because of this, I take my truck to the dealer for ALL its service(want the record for warranty issues ), and that it less than 2yrs old and 23k miles on it! Any input would be great. I'm very persistent with this type of stuff and will be demanding a new truck if they don't have a fix!
What you have going on with your truck is an issue with the throttle body,the truck has a fly by wire throttle and when a code sets it goes to reduced power mode to prevent the throttle from opening on its own due to a mechanical or electrical issue.We have replaced at least 20 throttle bodies in the last few weeks with a similar concern.Contact your dealer Monday and tell them the symptoms,they should know what to do.
If you have an issue PM me,I could probably help.If your truck is in reduced power mode cycle the ignition on and off several times and it should clear reduced power mode,if it has a hard failure it will not clear the reduced power mode and the truck should be towed.Chevy roadside number is 1 800 CHEV USA
I am heading down to the dealership now,we have a big snowfall coming our way and I have to get the plows inside and some inventory moved,I will check back later to see if you have any questions.Good Luck

Vinny

BTW,the new throttle body is a redesigned unit with a new part number

1970 Chevelle ZZ572/720R
TH 400 w/brake
12 Bolt w/ 4.10 gears
best run to date
9.830 @ 135 mph
1.324 Best 60'
http://www.dragtimes.com/Chevrolet-C...slip-9729.html
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q...LEATETOWN2.png

1969 Camaro SS 8.721 @ 156.61
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 3:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyLSS572 View Post
What you have going on with your truck is an issue with the throttle body,the truck has a fly by wire throttle and when a code sets it goes to reduced power mode to prevent the throttle from opening on its own due to a mechanical or electrical issue.We have replaced at least 20 throttle bodies in the last few weeks with a similar concern.Contact your dealer Monday and tell them the symptoms,they should know what to do.
If you have an issue PM me,I could probably help.If your truck is in reduced power mode cycle the ignition on and off several times and it should clear reduced power mode,if it has a hard failure it will not clear the reduced power mode and the truck should be towed.Chevy roadside number is 1 800 CHEV USA
I am heading down to the dealership now,we have a big snowfall coming our way and I have to get the plows inside and some inventory moved,I will check back later to see if you have any questions.Good Luck

Vinny

Wow, Thanks Vinny! I dropped it off at the dealer today at the overnight drop. After I talk with them in the AM and they give it a once over, I'll see what they say and post back. I'll mention the throttle body issue if they don't come up with it.

Thanks again!

Eric Onick
1968 Chevelle Malibu
Tremec TKO-600 5-speed
12 bolt Eaton Posi
TC Member# 2320
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 10, 5:57 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

gotta love the high tech crap they put in new vehicles these days..

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 10, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

UPDATE 12/27/10

Got a call back from the dealer telling me that my truck is ready for pickup. I asked them what they did and said the had a bulletin for cleaning the throttle body and intake. They didn't replace anything. I asked him about the new throttle body Vinny mentioned (new unit, new part #)and he said there was no recall for one, so they didn't replace it. When I asked how it got gummed up in the first place he couldn't give me a good answer. This doesn't seem right to me.

Vinny- what are your thoughts on there response?

Thanks again

Eric Onick
1968 Chevelle Malibu
Tremec TKO-600 5-speed
12 bolt Eaton Posi
TC Member# 2320

Last edited by onick; Dec 27th, 10 at 11:48 AM. Reason: name edit
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 10, 1:25 PM
Tech Team
Jeff

It sounds like the technician working on your truck performed a repair procedure that GM has outlined in a internal bulletin. I'm aware of this, and have made this repair myself. It requires cleaning the throttle body and performing an idle learn reset. Throttle bodies can become carboned up at lower miles, all based on driving habits, fuel type etc. If indeed the bulletin was used that I suggested, the tech was likely led to it by one of the DTCs stored in your trucks PCM. Its not always possible to get a solid answer from a service writer. Many times, they have little or no auto knowledge, and are only deciphering what the tech put in his notes. Its like asking your doctors secretary to explain whats wrong with you.

Duke? I named the dog Duke...
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 10, 2:26 PM
Tech Team
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyLSS572 View Post

Vinny

I agree with Vinny. When I checked with our GM Corporate contact last week, there was just over 12,000 on back order. Just wait until you have a door lock actuator go out on an 09. Last time I checked they were over $400 for the part alone and required you to replace the window motor/track since they were designed all as one piece.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 10, 2:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Well, as it stands now they are not giong to replace anything. No recall, no replacement they tell me. Is there any document that is out there I can present to them? I feel like I am sitting on a time bomb

Eric Onick
1968 Chevelle Malibu
Tremec TKO-600 5-speed
12 bolt Eaton Posi
TC Member# 2320
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 10, 4:39 PM
Tech Team
Brian

Yeah, they won't replace anything until the part truly fails. Alldata doesn't have any TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) on the throttle body at this time. Not really any documents to present to dealer. Unfortunately, you will probably just have to wait until it fails.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 10, 4:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Eric

Thanks for all the replies guys. Lets just hope it doesn't fail. At least the issue is on record now.

Eric Onick
1968 Chevelle Malibu
Tremec TKO-600 5-speed
12 bolt Eaton Posi
TC Member# 2320
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.