what size garage to build ??? 24' x 30' ? - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 07, 8:56 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

what size garage to build ??? 24' x 30' ?

Just bought my first home! and now I need a garage, but would like some advice on what size I should go. My lot should accept just about any reasonable size but my budget can't get carried away. I would like permanent storage for the Chevelle with room to work on it without shifting it around and repositioning it in the garage every time, with a clear spot that I can easily drive it in and out of, I would also like room for another car to be pulled in a worked on, again without shifting averything around inside. Would like to have a decent work bench, couple cabinets, set of drawrs for tools, a fridge, room for a snowmachine, motorcycle, snowblower and still not feel as though I am tripping over myself. I was hoping that a 24' wide x 30' deep should do, one 16' door, one man door and two windows. Opinions welcome - again budget is a limitation. thanks.

1970 Chevelle
454 - th400 >>> RS600 5-speed on order!! CANCELLED #$%^&! >>> Now M20 in progress.
b-body spindles, 4 wheel disc brakes, 16" TorqThrust D's
Forest Green - White Stripes (SS Hood) on Black bench seat interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 07, 9:13 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: what size garage to build ??? 24' x 30' ?

check the search on this subject. Lots of info out there.

I have a 30x36: love it
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 07, 9:16 PM
Senior Tech Team
The Fat Stig

figure out how big you think you're gonna need - then double it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpete, Dean, Derek69SS, hoffbug, rubadub, Grandsport, Thomas Jefferson, 1badss396, MEJ1990TM, and mrdjc99
As usual, Andy is right
If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be replaced anyway.

SuperAndy's Garage

Automotive Archaeology
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 07, 9:21 PM
Senior Tech Team
Big D

The biggest you can afford..
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 07, 9:34 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

We are about to finish up a new 30 x 40 x 12. It will suit for the time being, but nothing is moved in and it's already not enough.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor
1970 SS Best ET: 12.31@108 MPH
1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
1970 Chevelle Convertible
Maryland Chevelle Club
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 07, 9:49 PM
Tech Team
Dave

Unhappy Re: what size garage to build ??? 24' x 30'

Don't forget to figure height too. I have a 9 foot walls and wish it was taller to fit a lift. I did'nt think I would get one but now I can't because of the height. I have a 24x32 and it is a little small for an extra car with the chevelle apart.

The more challenges, the more tools to buy
Dave
69 chevelle
350/350th
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 07, 10:12 PM
Tech Team
Virbius

I built a 30 X 60 for a guy and hes got his Prevost ( RV ) a 69 Impala convert, 29 T bucket on a lift, His 49 Merc and an Escalade in there. Its tight but he's still got a 4 pc bathroom, compressor, and a nice workshop to boot. The height is 16' to finished ceiling which allowed us to put in a mezzanine for storage and deep cell parabolic fluorescent light fixtures.........

No Man with a Good Car needs to be justified...
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 07, 10:30 PM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

Garage

Windows let people see inside... careful where you put them.

Ron Cook
'69 300 Deluxe SS396
My GM Canada Documentation

Founding member of The CanAm Chevelle Club
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 07, 10:38 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
James

I built mine 24x26 and wish it were bigger. No matter how big you built it, it will end up being too small. One thing I did that I'm glad of is using a coiling roll up door instead of a typical garage door.
James
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 07, 10:42 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
kevin

Everyone that responded to your post has lived through this and speaks from experience. You cannot build them to big; you will always want more space. However, like a lot of us you run out of money first.

You live in Canada? Gets cool there for about six months out of the year, so a large part of your cost will involve being able to heat the space. Think about two x six or even two x eight-inch walls and then insulate as much as you can. Most construction here Minnesota uses truss for the overhead, cost of going to a vaulted ceiling is minimal and adds a lot of openness, and allows for ceiling fans, these help a lot with the heating, a vaulted ceiling also improves lighting. Speaking of heating put it in the floor.

Electrical, important you cannot have to much of this, lighting, outlets (20 amp min), 220V compressor, welding, heat and A/C.

Most important place and build the garage so you can add on to it when funds allow.

Build a shed to put all the other stuff into, the blower, snow machine, lawnmower and all that other stuff take up a lot of floor space and collect a lot of dust.

Easy for me to sit here and spend your money however, I learned my lesson the hard way.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 07, 10:46 PM
Team Member

For what you are describing, I'd build it wider and have two 12' doors. And just go ahead and get the taller ceilings!

What you have would be good for restoring one chevelle and having some clutter (bikes, snow blower, etc). But, that idea of parking another car in there with ease shoots those dimensions to **** in my opinion. It becomes a no brainer that you'll need something wider, or deeper.

Most people will quote you an estimate for free. That will get you a ballpark. Also consider a metal building. That might be harder to insulate though... not sure.

member number 684
71' coupe project:
goal: 150+MPH, 9s driven to and from track, 275 front tire, 315 rear tire, 1000+HP
Build: 540cid, twin turbo, 4L80e, ...wait for it...

Heart of Dixie Chevelle Club
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 07, 10:56 PM
Gold Founding Member
Ron

I built a 24x30 about 3 years ago, like everyone said, it's not big enough now. But I'm happy with it. I can have 2 cars in there and room to work around them. I have a workbench on the back wall and a full size fridge and my toolboxes, also a small bathroom and wash tub. I put central heat and air in it after insulating and finishing the walls. Its not fancy but comfortable to work in and hang out. Build a small shed for the snow machine and other things. Its not a show place like a lot of these guys have but it is a working garage, I do paint and body work in it. I have about $25000 in it.
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000247.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	8747  

70 Chevelle SS396 (496) Straub roller, M21
69 Malibu convertible
95 Z28 Convertible T56 6 speed
TC #54 Gold

69 - Top down
69 Top up
new wheels
70 side
On Gearz
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 07, 10:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
Tom

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BlueSS454

I'll post some pics of our new one tomorrow when I get home to give you an idea of 30 x 40 x 12. I'd do it now, but it's kinda dark out and the electric is not in it yet.

Tom Rightler, MCC VP & Newsletter Editor
1970 SS Best ET: 12.31@108 MPH
1969 Malibu
1969 Dodge Charger
1970 Chevelle Convertible
Maryland Chevelle Club
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 07, 12:26 AM
Senior Tech Team
Matt

2 cars with room to work on one and store other stuff. 24 deep minimum, 40 width. one entry door, 2 - 9 or 10 wide overhead doors. no windows, they are only good for thieves.

I left a 24X40 which I restored and built a lot of cars in over 25 years. I could park one car and have room for a ground up on the other car plus room for equipment and tools. When not in a big project, I had a decent work area, room for two parked cars and a 12' wide stall for the lawn tractor, small trailer and all the lumber, steel and junk guys like us hoard.

I built a "garage" as I wanted to keep neighbors happy. If possible, save money and build a pole barn. for the same money, you might be able to go 26 deep (much better) and 40 wide. Three overhead doors and no windows. Space the overheads a couple feet apart and not just 12 inches or so.

Don't close off the rest of your yard by building at the side of the house or in such a way as you have no way to use more of your yard for future expansion. think about expansion now and plan for it. If you are planning to stay where you are, slow down if you have to, to build what will make you happy in 20 years! Don't scrimp on electric and lights, either.

I have been down this road 3 times and am now trying to buy some land next to me to do a 24X40 pole building.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 07, 2:37 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

30X30 with 10 foot walls minimum- but 12 is nice if you should ever get a lift.
if money is an issue, build a basic uninsulated shell at first, then add insulation as money allows. over the course of a few seasons, you can have yourself the warm cozy work environment you've always dreamt of.
but you will quickly run out of room no matter how big you build it- car stuff is like air in that it expands to fit the space it's in.

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.