I came across a 1956 Ford glovebox manual and want to share some of the info. - Chevelle Tech
Bench Racing Stories, cruising and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 07, 8:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug Davis

I came across a 1956 Ford glovebox manual and want to share some of the info.

We have a couple of cars in the woods next to our place (a 1956 Ford 4-door and a 1967 Valiant 2-door). I got the owner's manual out of the Ford and was completely blown away by some of the information they supplied 50 years ago. The best points in the book to me were: Town and country radio, If you're in town and have a variety of stations to choose the "town" button picks the one with the best signal. The "country" button finds whatever station is available if you're driving in the country. I guess back then as long as you had any station on you were doing good. Another good point was to change the oil every 2,000 and oil filter every 4,000. I don't know anyone now days who doesn't change the filter everytime they change their oil. There is a section on towing and pushing other cars which is also a blast from the past. It states that "When pushing or being pushed by another car make sure the bumpers line up so they don't become locked". Isn't that great advice? Nowdays a car maker would be asking for a lawsuit by supplying info like that in the owner's manual. A few other points I found interesting were the 4-way power seat, choke, and a few sentences pertaining to "ash receptacles". I guess back then smoking was one of the hippest things to do and having good ash trays was probably a selling point. well, back to 2007 now.

66 Chevelle
350/400 Turbo
12 Bolt Eaton Posi w/3:73's
Team Chevelle Member # 3540
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 07, 11:40 PM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Re: I came across a 1956 Ford glovebox manual and want to share some of the info.

wow.. so you've never read the owner's manual from an old car before?
the manual in my 84 regal T Type pretty much has all the same info as you posted from the 56 Ford. hell, i think the manual in the '02 Chev 2500HD i had for a few months had most of that info in it, too.
well, maybe not the radio stuff.. but i guess the "seek" and "scan" buttons pretty much cover the "town and country" stuff.

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 07, 11:51 PM
Senior Tech Team

Re: I came across a 1956 Ford glovebox manual and want to share some of the info.

The manual for an early 70's Olds I looked at had oil changes at 5000 miles with filter changes every other oil change. I never much believed the 3000 mile "gospel" myslef. I change the oil in the F150 twice a year, whether it needs it or not! 164k miles can't be wrong!

Jeff

`You can't beat City Hall, but you can piss on the steps."
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 07, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
wow.. so you've never read the owner's manual from an old car before?
the manual in my 84 regal T Type pretty much has all the same info as you posted from the 56 Ford. hell, i think the manual in the '02 Chev 2500HD i had for a few months had most of that info in it, too.
well, maybe not the radio stuff.. but i guess the "seek" and "scan" buttons pretty much cover the "town and country" stuff.
I seriously doubt you'll find a "push and pull" section in any 84 manual. ABS plastic bumpers really aren't very pushing and pulling friendly!

66 Chevelle
350/400 Turbo
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 07, 12:30 AM
Senior Tech Team
"The Stig"

My reprinted Model T service manual recommends cleaning all mechanical parts with gasoline for inspection upon disassembly.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 07, 12:35 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis95 View Post
I seriously doubt you'll find a "push and pull" section in any 84 manual. ABS plastic bumpers really aren't very pushing and pulling friendly!
my Regal has steel bumpers over an aluminum frame, with the steel shock absorber things mounting them to the frame.

"Detroit hasn't felt any real pride since George Bush went to Japan and vomited on their auto executives, I tell you whut"

-Hank Hill
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 07, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member
Doug Davis

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaderrik View Post
my Regal has steel bumpers over an aluminum frame, with the steel shock absorber things mounting them to the frame.
So it does have a "push and pull" section? I'd like to see that.

66 Chevelle
350/400 Turbo
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 07, 2:06 AM
Senior Tech Team
Derrick

nope.. nothing about pushing or pulling, but it does say how to tow with it ,and how to tow it.

-Hank Hill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevelle Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address. Note, you will be sent a confirmation request to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.